Memorial Day--Honoring those that bring honor to me. | The Boneyard

Memorial Day--Honoring those that bring honor to me.

Reaction Score
A very special day for me---I'm due no honor--but it is this day Americans stop to think of those Dead or Living that went into the jaws of the lions and the horrors of war to protect and serve America
My shout out of Honor is for the Connecticut National Guard, the US Navy and God Bless every one--the US Marine Corp Semper Fi.

Please forgive if this was done.

If it has not been -please leave your message honoring those who gave a little or gave it all for US

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
In remembrance of James T Davis, a member of my unit, 3dRRU, USASA, the first American serviceman killed in Viet-Nam, December 22, 1961.

LINK

May all of those in service for us stay safe and those who have sacrificed in defense this great country of ours find rest and peace.

Reaction Score
Wonderful expressions of gratitude for the mysterious sense of self-sacrifice. We live our lives in self-centered bubbles and then suddenly we see people willing to risk and even sacrifice their lives for the rest of us, for the future of a decent human race. I, at least, will never fully understand the awesome beauty of this.

A life changing moment for me was in visiting Normandy and going through, not only the cemetery, which itself is emotionally overwhelming, but the gun placements and bunkers, and appreciating how realistic were the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan." Soldiers hitting the beaches or climbing the cliffs knew that they were very likely laying down their lives so that the soldiers behind them could advance just a bit further before they, too, laid down their lives, so that eventually some would break through.

The rows and rows of burial markers at Normandy represent the very best of us in the face of what is what is the very worst in us--war. May the service and sacrifice of all who have served be long remembered and may there be a time when future generations will no longer be called upon to do the same.

Reaction Score
You are due much honor, as are ALL those who appreciate the sacrifice & those that made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country.
God bless you and them.

Thanks, my CT NG and Navy was nothing like the Marines and of people like KIB--my "injury" is so much minor.
I fade in the shadows of men like KIB and the Marines I spent hospital time with--they beat Shea in toughness

But thank you. .

Reaction Score
Wonderful expressions of gratitude for the mysterious sense of self-sacrifice. We live our lives in self-centered bubbles and then suddenly we see people willing to risk and even sacrifice their lives for the rest of us, for the future of a decent human race. I, at least, will never fully understand the awesome beauty of this.

A life changing moment for me was in visiting Normandy and going through, not only the cemetery, which itself is emotionally overwhelming, but the gun placements and bunkers, and appreciating how realistic were the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan." Soldiers hitting the beaches or climbing the cliffs knew that they were very likely laying down their lives so that the soldiers behind them could advance just a bit further before they, too, laid down their lives, so that eventually some would break through.

The rows and rows of burial markers at Normandy represent the very best of us in the face of what is what is the very worst in us--war. May the service and sacrifice of all who have served be long remembered and may there be a time when future generations will no longer be called upon do the same.

tears appear. Thank you--your impression of Normandy is mine.
I had more than 30 relatives in WW2---the honor given to them should be the honor of all who fought in every battle since---they were called the Greatest Generation: I contend Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kawiat,t
were no less generations--they answered the call and equaled the bravery of the Greatest Gen. I mean not to lessen your thoughts--hopefully to add to them.

Reaction Score
In remembrance of James T Davis, a member of my unit, 3dRRU, USASA, the first American serviceman killed in Viet-Nam, December 22, 1961.

LINK

May all of those in service for us stay safe and those who have sacrificed in defense this great country of ours find rest and peace.
God Bless you and hopefully is comforting James T Davis----Thank you!!

Reaction Score
Wife and I send our annual Yard note of deepest appreciation to all who have served, with special tribute to those lost to combat. Our small semi-rural town turned out well in inclement weather today to give their thanks.
BROADWAY: thanks for kicking this off as well as for your own service.
BAGS: pleased to read of your response to your Normandy visit. We have a family paratrooper there. There are other similar memorial sites with thousands of our dead elsewhere in France, in Belgium, in Italy, England, Luxembourg, Netherlands etc that are well worth checking out on the net. "The land of the free because of the brave" indeed.
BIGBIRD: Nice that you added those folks from the past; our town always includes a small musket unit of the 6th Connecticut (Historical) Regiment in full period garb.
Appreciation as well to COCO and CT YANK for their sentiments. Stay well, one and all. God BLESS America.

Reaction Score
On Memorial Day I always think of my great-uncle Raymond that I often heard about growing up. He fought in WWI, and while he "survived" the war, he died within 4 years from the damage his lungs had taken from poison gas.
All wars are terrible/miserable but WW1 was a human eater---From Memory, which isn't great--USA put troops into battle like 5 or 6 months before the end--and the losses were in the 10's of thousands, over 100,000 I believe. My Uncle Joe with the first to go from Watertown, Ct
was gasses and shelled--and got the "cowards" affliction --Shell Shock--PtSD--we have since learned better. He died in a Canadian Military hospital (served in the US Army).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom