Mel Greeberg slams NCAA on ND-Baylor officiating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mel Greeberg slams NCAA on ND-Baylor officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes ALL WBB referees are incompetent, horrible, and anything else insulting you could say, they are worse!
When the Conferences hire ex-refs from that conference to be supervisor of officials that they've worked with for 25+ years what do you expect for evaluations! Are they going to tell their BEST friends they suck!
The NCAA has to take over the supervising of officials and hire retired NBA refs that have NO prior relationships as evaluators/supervisors!
Another problem is the refs work 5 to 6 games a week all over the USA! You can't tell me that Dee Kantnor for example refereeing in PSU on Mon., Texas A&M Tues., UCONN on Weds., Rutgers on Fri., and MD on Sun. isn't going to effect their refereeing! Planes, Games, quick meals, short sleeping, etc. has to have a bad effect on their abilities!
Please check out wbbstate.com there is a section on wbb referees, how many games they work, how many fouls they call, etc. very illuminating! The lists were up during the season, I don't see it now, check for yourselves!

Reaction Score
Unless there is such insulation that no one running the show was aware of the outrage on twitter (many from reputable beat writers) and on TV the way the Notre Dame-Baylor game was called, it would seem some display of accountability would go a long way to at least offer some explanation of what went down.

And the Guru is not saying it has to be a specific on the record communication. But if it was a mess and addressed aftewards just make people aware so at least the next time this kind of thing occurs -- and it could happen as early as this weekend -- at least there's a comeback to the man in the street that the powers know they have a problem and they're working on it.

See Master Charges... at the bottom of blog. LINK
But we now know why they wear striped shirts! Research shows zebras have them to keep the flies away!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted the below in another thread but I think it is an important point to make when talking about officiating - I just added the bold:
ND/Baylor was bad reffing, but the other regional games were just typical - some bad calls, but fairly balanced and not egregious. BUT I think it is important to note the two teams involved. If coaches and players are going to work/game the refs as hard as those two teams do, then they are asking for bad results. And it is interesting to note that probably the two worst officiated regional games in the last two years had one team in common! And perhaps the next worst game in this year regional was last night in the MD/Louisville game - I do not thing either team in that contest 'games' the officials with histrionics, but Louisville does like to push the envelop to the edge and beyond and that is always tough on even good refs who really do not want to become the story.
This is not unique to WCBB - there have been issues this year with the NBA with players gaming officials, and in european soccer it got so bad that it is now a card-able offense. I would not mind having a few technical fouls assessed for egregious flops in basketball as it might rein in a few teams. And I would assign the technical to both the player and coach - two different players flop and the coach is gone. And it is clearly a taught behavior in some programs, whether player to player or with coaches involvement I don't know. But their are definitely a few teams that do it consistently and a lot of teams that do not.
Of course that would just add another call that refs would get wrong some of the time - but if they went to the video, maybe they would get it right most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom