Meet Aaliyah Edwards | The Boneyard

Meet Aaliyah Edwards

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No words necessary
1608213573470.png

eton Hall forward Skylar Treadwell (1) battles UConn forward Aaliyah Edwards (3) for a rebound during the second half of an NCAA basketball game on Tuesday, Dec.15, 2020, in South Orange, N.J. (AP Photo/Noah K. Murray) (Noah K. Murray / AP)

Reaction Score
Paige says that Aaliyah is "sweaty." When I was growing up, girls (women) weren't "sweaty," they "perspired." Can't tell if this language shift advances or decreases the status of the ladies. Help.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Our freshmen are good. They’re good. They have a lot of things missing but the things they do have they are good. I’m not crazy about coaching them, to tell you the truth, every single day. But they are good. Nothing that they do surprises me.”

I don't know - somehow I think that bolded quote is bull. I think he loves coaching these kids. He's said numerous times he's never had a freshman class with this much competitive drive. That translates well into kids who want to absorb, learn, and get better.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Our freshmen are good. They’re good. They have a lot of things missing but the things they do have they are good. I’m not crazy about coaching them, to tell you the truth, every single day. But they are good. Nothing that they do surprises me.”

I don't know - somehow I think that bolded quote is bull. I think he loves coaching these kids. He's said numerous times he's never had a freshman class with this much competitive drive. That translates well into kids who want to absorb, learn, and get better.
Yes he probably does love coaching them. But he did say "I've seen things I haven't seen in 40 years of coaching", so I think his joy is tempered just a bit. This Aaliyah kid though, she has a bit of the Charles Oakley in her. Man, it's refreshing to see a big say "I own this lane and you ain't comin' in here little guy".

Reaction Score
It is going to be scary to see what Edwards looks like after 3 more years of an elite NCAA strength and conditioning program! She already has a borderline WNBA body as an 18 year old freshman, I pity the opposing players that are going to have bang with her on the blocks for the next 4 years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes he probably does love coaching them. But he did say "I've seen things I haven't seen in 40 years of coaching", so I think his joy is tempered just a bit. This Aaliyah kid though, she has a bit of the Charles Oakley in her. Man, it's refreshing to see a big say "I own this lane and you ain't comin' in here little (or big) guy".
Fixed for you!! ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

My own theory about the quote is that it must be very difficult coaching so many uber talented young kids and try to get them to improve in the areas they need and sacrifice part of their game while not messing with their natural instincts. He always seems to be stressed and worried if the team will "get it" and it is up to the assistant coaches to pull him off the ledge.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No words necessary
View attachment 62577
eton Hall forward Skylar Treadwell (1) battles UConn forward Aaliyah Edwards (3) for a rebound during the second half of an NCAA basketball game on Tuesday, Dec.15, 2020, in South Orange, N.J. (AP Photo/Noah K. Murray) (Noah K. Murray / AP)

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is the face of "toughness" and determination. The great thing about Aaliyah's game is that she comes in with that GRIT and TOUGHNESS mindset. The staff does not have to try and teach or instill it. Just think for a brief moment if ALL of our girls had this kind of Grit and toughness in their game.

I like Aaliyah. One of the things I like most about her game is SHE MAKES HER BUNNIES. She's shooting a very high percentage from point black range. THAT is what wins basketball games. Remember when Geno pulled Napheesa Collier (not picking on her, just making a point) during that 66-64 OT to Miss St. in 2017? She missed 3-4 bunnies (and other shots she usually made). I'm not blaming her for the loss. THAT was a team effort. :confused:

Collier couldn't buy a shot during that game and it went to overtime. Just one more made bunny wins it in regulation. My Christmas wish for this season is that all of our girls (and staff) remain safe and healthy, they compete at their full potential, and they leave it all out on the floor. Don't take any team for granted.

On game day, show up and be ready to play. I'd like to see them play with this level of grit and determination throughout the year. See ball, get ball. Looking at this picture, who do you think wants it more? THIS is the toughness about Aaliyah that Christyn was telling us about earlier in the year. I hope it rubs off on the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I find myself lately being as fired up about Aaliyah as I am about Paige....and I kinda like that.:D:D

My tea leaves and other prognostication aides all tell me that Aaliyah will be the recipient of several the Kibitzer's Bad Ass of the game awards, so don't be surprised when it happens. ;)

UConn freshman Edwards is showing her mettle - Carl Adamec 12.17.20

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Support the views that suggest we not get ahead of ourselves, but....anyone looking forward to future matchups with South Carolina's Boston? Some big bodies on that team - would be perfect for an ONO/Edwards lineup.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Paige says that Aaliyah is "sweaty." When I was growing up, girls (women) weren't "sweaty," they "perspired." Can't tell if this language shift advances or decreases the status of the ladies. Help.

The word perspire isn't in the word rotation for 99.9% of people under 50.

There's no shame in being sweaty -- especially when you're working as hard as these women.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Then you add Ducharme or Poffenbarger at the 3 position at 6'2, Fudd at the 2, and Bueckers running the point. How do you stop that?
Dang I have no idea but I can't wait to see opponents try. It should be like a 3 ring circus.

Reaction Score
Correct you are! I grew up and spent most of my life in the Deep South. Down there, girls do not sweat. They gently perspire. And that last word, most critically, contains three syllables!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno does love the freshmen. But they all have a lot to learn, even players like Paige and Aaliyah, who have considerable skills and FIBA experience. So I'm sure their freshman mistakes frustrate him some. I recall a famous Geno quote: "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." :D

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Finally we have a big like Baylor and USC.
Yes we do! I thought this the first moment I watched her videoes way back. Tne Canadian National Team members all spoke glowingly of her, I like the following:
"In September 2019, the UConn women’s basketball team’s freshman forward was the youngest player on Canada’s senior national team at the FIBA AmeriCup in Puerto Rico. She had nine points, three rebounds, and four steals in 18 minutes of a 67-46 loss to Team USA, which had former UConn All-Americans and Huskies of Honor inductees Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson, and Katie Lou Samuelson on its roster. “Obviously having that kind of experience separates you from the average high school kid coming out,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said,"
Maybe some day Geno can say these words about Olivia,
“We play at Connecticut to still be playing in March. If you want to beat some of the teams you have to beat in March, you need a physical presence like that in the lane. You need someone that defensively and offensively has a certain mindset, and she has it. And she works exceptionally hard every day in practice.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom