MD vs. Iowa: Holey Moley! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MD vs. Iowa: Holey Moley!

Reaction Score
The way UConn's defense is playing now, I don't think Clark gets that many. Looks to me like when each team didn't have the ball, they moved to the sidelines to grab a coke while the other team raced down the court to score.

I don't know much about IOWA or MD this year, have they played a TOUGH defensive team yet? Clearly, neither of them are tough on defense.

Last edited:

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
The way UConn's defense is playing now, I don't think Clark gets that many. Looks to me like when each team didn't have the ball, they moved to the sidelines to grab a coke while the other team raced down the court to score.

I don't know much about IOWA or MD this year, have they played a TOUGH defensive team yet? Clealry, nether of them are tough on defense.
Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska and Northwestern are usually the best defensive teams UMD faces. They scored 91 on Rutgers, 84 0n Indiana and 95 on Nebraska. They play Northwestern this Sunday at 4pm on ESPN 2.

Reaction Score
Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska and Northwestern are usually the best defensive teams UMD faces. They scored 91 on Rutgers, 84 0n Indiana and 95 on Nebraska. They play Northwestern this Sunday at 4pm on ESPN 2.
Thanks. I'll try and catch some of these.

Reaction Score
The only argument I will make is, the best Freshman in the country will be determined by which of these players takes their team farthest in the tourney. Winning games, not scoring points, will be the final and most important factor.

Reaction Score
The only argument I will make is, the best Freshman in the country will be determined by which of these players takes their team farthest in the tourney. Winning games, not scoring points, will be the final and most important factor.

I believe the NFOY is decided before the tourney

Reaction Score
I am working from memory here, but I believe the last time I checked Maryland had the highest offensive rating of any team in the country on Her Hoops. Interestingly their defensive rating was very low like 60th in the country or something like that, and that was before this game.

Almost all of the top teams are near the top in both offensive and defensive ratings, but Maryland had a difference between the two that was huge.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Syracuse freshman center Cardoso, is a candidate for FOY. I watched a game in which Clark was taken completely out of her game but, that happens to even some AA. People can say what they want but Clark has proven she is an exceptional player. What difference does it make if she wins FOY? Breanna Stewart was predicted to win FOY but did not. Instead, she helped lead UConn to a NC her freshman season. I believe Paige would value that over winning FOY. Maryland and Iowa are dangerous teams but I believe Maryland is much more so than Iowa.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Iowa a winning team, yes or no? It was not stipulated National Championship contending team. Also, you think the Big 10 is weaker than the Big 12? Really? REALLY?

Reaction Score
My answer was to " Best Freshman....in terms of the actual award NFOY....hard to say how it would go. Points or winning??? Is there an anti-Uconn bias??? If you are the best player ON the best team ( before tourney) its hard to argue someone on a mediocre team is better.

Reaction Score
Maryland typically lays an egg somewhere along the line in their conference tournament or the NCAA's but lately this team is not showing that tendency. If they can remain consistent through the last stretch of the season, I wouldn't want to play them. They have a lot of players who can put the ball in the basket. They may not play defense, but you aren't going to be able to outscore them if they are hitting their shots. 41 points in a quarter is impressive.

Reaction Score
68 - 51 at half time. Best offensive game I've seen this year.

Clark is red hot from 3 (8 - 11) with 29 points. On the down side 5 TOs.

Benzan for MD is 8 - 9 from 3!

BTW I still think Paige is Freshman and Player of the year. More efficient, more steals, half as many TOs as Clark.

The game is on the Big Ten Network.
And the worst Defense game of the year

Reaction Score
Not just shots, but made shots! Not too many misses or rebounding opportunities in that one.

Reaction Score
All big 10 teams, which as a league is highly overrated, so really no great gauge there.

Reaction Score

BTW I still think Paige is Freshman and Player of the year. More efficient, more steals, half as many TOs as Clark.

Neither of those teams plays defense. I hope we play Iowa in the big dance so we can put the notion that Clark is anywhere near Bueckers to bed. I doubt Clark hits double digits.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Neither of those teams plays defense. I hope we play Iowa in the big dance so we can put the notion that Clark is anywhere near Bueckers to bed. I doubt Clark hits double digits.
Asking for a friend, who was UConn's defensive stopper who was assigned to Dungee during the Arkansas game? :rolleyes:

edit--looked at Clark's season stats, only 1 game under double digits and only 2 games under 20 points all season. I certainly think UConn would beat Iowa, and I think just as certainly Clark would score in double figures.

UConn has let a few scorers go off this year. Park-Lane from Seton Hall scored 29, Rogers from DePaul scored 20, Burrell from Tennessee had 18 (not a huge game, but certainly didn't hold her under double figures), Dungee and Ramirez from Arkansas had 37 and 22, Correa from St. John's had 33 and Carda from Creighton just scored 24, and countless other players have reached double figures. But sure, go ahead and tell me how one of the nation's leading scorers would get shut down by this UConn defense. The only one of the players I listed above even in the same ball park as Clark is Dungee and look what she did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Best offensive game or worst defensive game?

Reaction Score
Paige is already a really good player who will only get better. So is Clark. They are both great for the game. People will tune into their games to see them play. Maryland is a fun team to watch, which is also good for the game. Poor offense / good defense? Hard to tell with so many lopsided games. Easy to score a lot of points against a poor team and easy to limit a poor teams scoring. At the end of the day I think we will round up the usual suspects (except Notre Dame) and they will fight it out for the National Championship.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Of course Clark would score in double digits. She would take a ton of shots and the UConn defense would make her work for those shots but she'd get them and make them. She may shoot less than 50% and she would for sure commit 6-7 turnovers (she has 103 for the season!) but she would not be held to single digits in points. Iowa's defense gives up 82 ppg so UConn would win the game and Paige would have a big game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom