MD vs. Iowa: Holey Moley! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MD vs. Iowa: Holey Moley!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska and Northwestern are usually the best defensive teams UMD faces. They scored 91 on Rutgers, 84 0n Indiana and 95 on Nebraska. They play Northwestern this Sunday at 4pm on ESPN 2.
What a difference a year makes. Last season I thought Maryland had a good chance of making the Final Four because of how good they were defensively. Opponents both struggled to score and turned the ball over against last year's Terps. This season not so much. Maryland is scoring more this season (from 82 to 93 ppg) but they also give up more points (from 57 to 72 ppg) and are forcing fewer turnovers.

Brenda's approach this season seems to be: You can't out-score us.

Reaction Score
Asking for a friend, who was UConn's defensive stopper who was assigned to Dungee during the Arkansas game? :rolleyes:

edit--looked at Clark's season stats, only 1 game under double digits and only 2 games under 20 points all season. I certainly think UConn would beat Iowa, and I think just as certainly Clark would score in double figures.

UConn has let a few scorers go off this year. Park-Lane from Seton Hall scored 29, Rogers from DePaul scored 20, Burrell from Tennessee had 18 (not a huge game, but certainly didn't hold her under double figures), Dungee and Ramirez from Arkansas had 37 and 22, Correa from St. John's had 33 and Carda from Creighton just scored 24, and countless other players have reached double figures. But sure, go ahead and tell me how one of the nation's leading scorers would get shut down by this UConn defense. The only one of the players I listed above even in the same ball park as Clark is Dungee and look what she did.
Those players were not the focus of the defense. We played them straight up. In the tournament everything changes. Geno will force someone else to beat us. She will be held to under 10.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Those players were not the focus of the defense. We played them straight up. In the tournament everything changes. Geno will force someone else to beat us. She will be held to under 10.
Wait, Dungee was not the focus of the defense? Who was UConn focusing on then against Arkansas? Whatever the defensive strategy was, apparently it didn't work very well.

Reaction Score
Wait, Dungee was not the focus of the defense? Who was UConn focusing on then against Arkansas? Whatever the defensive strategy was, apparently it didn't work very well.
The goal is never to win every regular season game. Everything builds toward the big dance. Geno is the greatest coach of all time. <10

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom