McDonald's All American Game Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McDonald's All American Game Tonight

Reaction Score
You might want to re-think this comment. Shade is doing it all. Speed isn't everything.
I am not saying she isn’t a good player. She hustles and has the intangibles, but super quick she is not. BTW, there is less than zero defense played in these games

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I am not saying she isn’t a good player. She hustles and has the intangibles, but super quick she is not. BTW, there is less than zero defense played in these games
What you said was she “wasn’t standing out”. She stood out big time.

Reaction Score
What you said was she “wasn’t standing out”. She stood out big time.
Shade had a -17 per, the second lowest in the game. How is that “standing out”? In contrast, Arnold was plus 1.

Reaction Score
They also have the big from Oregon who got hurt. Dugalic, I think her name is. Jones as well who took strides later in the season. They are a team to watch.

But USC is also a team to watch. As their big recruit this past year missed the whole season due to a near tragedy. PAC 12 is gonna be a lot of fun.

I've only seen the highlights but Kk is pretty much what I expected. Shade, because I've heard a lot about her physicality and mid range, as others have mentioned I thought she was going to be 6'0 like Grace Berger and physically as big.but she looks a bit shorter and smaller, like a high school kid would.
Is 2023-2024 the last year that UCLA & USC are in the Pac 12?

Reaction Score
Very entertaining game. I thought Ashlynn was really solid. My girl Riley Nelson had a great start but sort of was meh the rest of the game including a really bad turnover in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
LOL - there was zero defense in this game. That'll change when these young women get to their respective schools.
It was as expected "offensive" entertainment. I kept thinking to myself let them enjoy the limelight because that will change soon for most if not all of them. College ball is just another level that they won't understand until the first week of practice. Some will play a lot as freshmen because they are going to "ok" teams. I only saw 1 that looked 'all around' ready for college and that was Williams going to LSU. KK Arnold will break down a lot of defenses with that dribble penetration and speed. Shade has really good vision and her passing ability is way better than I thought.

Reaction Score
As long as Shade doesn’t handle the ball much she’ll be ok. Has a Caroline like handle.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Next year when Muse joins up with Kiki Rice, and the two combine with the 6'4" German post Bessoir and Rice's fellow freshman Jaquez, UCLA will be incredibly tough.
Always felt that Amanda Muse was overshadowed by Cunningham in SoCal, from the high school scene to AAU teams.
Got a chance to see what she can do last night.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arnold and Shade did pretty well. Nothing really outstanding but held their own.

Watkins is gonna be very good. Will probably forget about her out in LA but, she'll be good.

LSU is gonna be good again next year. With Reese coming back, and adding Williams and Del Rosario. Maybe Mulkey won't have to play as many cupcakes?

ND is getting a good one too with Hildago. Quick, decent shot, nice passing. They should be on the rise next year.

Wish we had gone in for Muse. She was impressive. Ran the floor well, understood the pick and roll. Had nice footwork around the basket. And at 6-4.

There was some decent talent in this class. They will be a good addition to the WBB landscape next season.

Reaction Score

Wow! Ashlyn Shade performed really well, but got far less credit from the announcers than the LSU and South Carolina recruits. Shade had the second most rebounds on her squad after Del Rosario. That's impressive.

Arnold had a good game as well. But no one was talking about them or giving their stats.

Muse was the standout of the night amongst the front court players. 18 points in 17 minutes? She is going to be a major force next March for UCLA. That team is destined.

Reaction Score
Arnold and Shade did pretty well. Nothing really outstanding but held their own.

Watkins is gonna be very good. Will probably forget about her out in LA but, she'll be good.

LSU is gonna be good again next year. With Reese coming back, and adding Williams and Del Rosario. Maybe Mulkey won't have to play as many cupcakes?

ND is getting a good one too with Hildago. Quick, decent shot, nice passing. They should be on the rise next year.

Wish we had gone in for Muse. She was impressive. Ran the floor well, understood the pick and roll. Had nice footwork around the basket. And at 6-4.

There was some decent talent in this class. They will be a good addition to the WBB landscape next season.

Mulkey has done a shockingly outstanding job at LSU. She's taken a barely mediocre team and within, what, two years? She has them contending for a NC. Yes, she got Angel Reese as a transfer. Did she cheat, as Coach Geno was implying with these transfers who aren't graduate transfers? If so, it's likely that most of the major coaches are cheating. But that's the new normal in WCBB after the major relaxation of the transfer rules. That's why Connecticut needs to adjust to going after these great, yet disgruntled, players who want to move.

We need top transfers to compete, and not just the Lou and Dorka types who've completed their degrees, and are looking for a one-year move.

Reaction Score
All I know is that KK Arnold is everything we need. She's quick, she can get to the basket off the dribble, and she can make layups in traffic. We desperately need some athleticism and quickness on the perimeter and she is that.

Not to bring up the S16 disaster, but there is no way a team can press us like that if she's on the floor.

Reaction Score
Wow! Ashlyn Shade performed really well, but got far less credit from the announcers than the LSU and South Carolina recruits. Shade had the second most rebounds on her squad after Del Rosario. That's impressive.
Said announcer was Brooke Weisbrod. She is a known UCONN hater and the best friend of head UCONN hater, ND alum, Deveraux Peters. Brooke is so bad at announcing that I hope she gets promoted to FloSports.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My impression is than the ESPN rankings seem pretty accurate.

Juju Watkins looked the part of #1 recruit. No one could stay in front of her (drew 10 fouls!) and she knocked down 3 triples as well.

Mikaylah Williams had a relatively quiet 15 points and also looks like a fine inside-outside player. It will be fun to track her career and Watkins'. They seem to be very similar players.

Jadyn Donovan will fit right in at Duke. I don't think she took a single jumper and she was 3-9 from the field. But she was impressive despite any holes in her offensive game. She's long and athletic and excelled on defense and in transition. She also had a game-high 9 rebounds. Duke looks well stocked to continue to win "race to 50" type games. :p

A flashy point guard like Hidalgo is often well-suited to all-star games and that certainly was the case here. She was often reckless with the ball (7 turnovers!) but displayed her trademark penchant for thievery (8 steals!) and had highlights both as a scorer and passer. She even knocked down a few jumpers. I hope/assume she will be more careful with the ball in "real games".

Arnold and Shade both looked good and like typical UConn players. Shade was 4-5 for 10 pts and 7 reb. Arnold was 3-4 for 9 points. Both were efficient and played within themselves. Shade looks like a nice all-around guard. She has sweet jumper, passes well, and rebounds bigger than her size.

Del Rosario is a post in the Kalani Brown mold. She is big and stout but maybe not the swiftest. She was just ok but Kim specializes in coaching up this style of post.

Fulwiley had one stretch where she looked incredible but cooled off and finished with numbers that are just ok (7-18 FG, 3-10 3FG, 17 pts).

Amanda Muse looked really nice as a athletic, mobile big who can run the floor and finish at the rim.

Jada Williams absolutely plays like someone with a social media following to impress but she had 16 points and was a +15 so more power to her.

Emma Risch did some nice things (6 reb, 3 steals) but was short on her jumpers after making her first one. It's hard being a catch-and-shoot wing in this type of game because the point guards are thinking drive-and-score more than drive-and-kick. Looked to me like she rushed some shots knowing that she wasn't going to have many shooting opportunities.

All in all, I thought it was an entertaining exhibition.

Reaction Score
Not a knock on her all, but after watching her in the game I can see why Watkins committed to Southern Cal instead of South Carolina or Stanford. She probably wants to be the go-to player on her team from day one

Reaction Score
I have to rewatch the game. Juju Watkins was good, but she didn't blow me out of the water. I know she put up points, but it seems she got a lot of minutes and wasn't all that efficient. I also watched the game in like 10 parts (lol) so maybe I shouldn't do that to get the full effect. In the end..it was one game (exhibition).

Reaction Score
I have to rewatch the game. Juju Watkins was good, but she didn't blow me out of the water. I know she put up points, but it seems she got a lot of minutes and wasn't all that efficient. I also watched the game in like 10 parts (lol) so maybe I shouldn't do that to get the full effect. In the end..it was one game (exhibition).
No I watched in full and she ended almost as many possessions she scored on. Most of her points were at the line, I think she only got like 3-4 actual field goals. Watching that game made me wonder if she was only the top recruit because of the school she went to versus her actual ability - even clips I've seen on Youtube aren't that impressive to me to be honest.

Reaction Score
I thought she was very good but just seems like a very ball-dominant player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom