McDonald's All American Game Tonight | Page 5 | The Boneyard

McDonald's All American Game Tonight

Reaction Score
I like the taller guards in todays game and like them to be able to score. Right now UCONN has great size at guard and a couple incredible scorers. The biggest issue with UCONN guard play is that they haven't been on the court too much. Any guard that is 5'8 or smaller needs to be super quick and a legit scorer otherwise she will be on the team never to see the court again.
I have some concern about the height of the two guards coming in next year ( reported at 5'9" ). I know that KK has speed like a rocket so her pace may offset any height disadvantages. But I wager the next development in women's college BB will be the " magic Johnson" type guard. Imagine if Edwards were a guard and could move and shoot like Paige? We now, routinely, have 6'4"- 6'7" BIGS ( not to mention The " Griner " days at Baylor (6'8"). Why not 6'3'- 6'4" guards?

Reaction Score
I have some concern about the height of the two guards coming in next year ( reported at 5'9" ). I know that KK has speed like a rocket so her pace may offset any height disadvantages. But I wager the next development in women's college BB will be the " magic Johnson" type guard. Imagine if Edwards were a guard and could move and shoot like Paige? We now, routinely, have 6'4"- 6'7" BIGS ( not to mention The " Griner " days at Baylor (6'8"). Why not 6'3'- 6'4" guards?
Because women are generally shorter than men, when young girls begin playing, anyone with height is almost automatically put in the post. It is much more rare for a 6’4 girl, who is going to be the tallest player on the court, to be given guard duties. So the taller girls are developed differently. Young men are often surrounded by height and often grow taller a bit later meaning many fairly tall boys start out in guard slots and grow into bigger guards.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In time it may happen. There was a time when a 6'4" male would be considered tall, in high school and college, and always played in the post. I had a cousin who was 6'4" and played center for Missouri in 1956. Then along comes Magic and Bird and the start of the big guards. I believe the women's game will eventually get to that point where taller guards will be the norm. As for now, Amoore, Fudd, Muhl and the star guard for LSU are under six feet and they are outstanding players. UConn's incoming guards will be an asset, not a hinderance.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom