Maybe this is where we are heading....down the road some. | The Boneyard

Maybe this is where we are heading....down the road some.

Reaction Score
The NCAA may be on its last legs re college football.

Speculation is mounting that college football will break away and create its own power structure -- separate from the non-revenue sports and maybe even basketball ...geographical constraints could become much less of a concern. I have no idea how a major refit of college football structure would affect current conference structure or how that would affect contracts/GORs.

I could see a scenario where major college football teams play under one governing body and with a different conference structure (Divisions like NFL) -- with their own sets of rules about compensation and benefits -- while the other sports compete on a more regional level with a different set of regulations.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Speculation is mounting that college football will break away and create its own power structure -- separate from the non-revenue sports and maybe even basketball ...geographical constraints could become much less of a concern. I have no idea how a major refit of college football structure would affect current conference structure or how that would affect contracts/GORs.

I could see a scenario where major college football teams play under one governing body and with a different conference structure (Divisions like NFL) -- with their own sets of rules about compensation and benefits -- while the other sports compete on a more regional level with a different set of regulations.
Sounds great. They can enjoy G-League popularity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I can see a breakaway happening, but the NCAA just got thumped in court in an anti-trust case. Why will a P2 or whatever comes next do any better? The fact that being a member of the cartel provides all kinds of benefits not available to other competitors is a HUGE problem, and is about to get worse. The Supreme Court just ruled 9-0 that the NCAA regulating labor is illegal. Why would the P2 regulating how its competitors compete do any better?

It is also worth noting that setting price as a monopoly, and a lot of the behavior of the cartel could be deemed to be price fixing, exposes participants not just to civil penalties, but criminal ones too.

Reaction Score
Well...The SEC isn't taking a thumping nor is the Big Ten...and they are certainly cartels...they have split the country north-south and taken the money.

ESPN is a cartel...

AAU is a by invite cartel with guidelines for measurement data but undefined requirements...vote in by 3/4 of members...an old boys club.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

But you were so adamant that was never going to happen!

Reaction Score
But you were so adamant that was never going to happen!

You know...again you are up to your passive aggressive tricks.......No I was not adamant that wasn't happening..but rather have always predicted a breakaway.

You seem to have a need to snipe at me...I ruffle your edges, I reckon...I need to tune out some folks...ignored

I am sure that long term GOR's will not be busted...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where there can be movement is at the GOR ending junctions like we have coming up in the Big 12 and PAC....and Big Ten...the SEC and ACC have long term GOR's in place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know...again you are up to your passive aggressive tricks.......No I was not adamant that wasn't happening..but rather have always predicted a breakaway.

You seem to have a need to snipe at me...I ruffle your edges, I reckon...I need to tune out jerks.

I am sure that long term GOR's will not be busted...
Lol.. if remembering you being so adamant on how the P5 would never break away from the NCAA is passive aggressive, I guess I’m passive aggressive.

Boy you sure get butt hurt easily. Would it be so hard to go “yeah, I had a bad call on that?” [chuckles]

Reaction Score
What now?

We sit back and watch Texas and OU play the Big 12 ....the Big 12 will probably offer unequal revenue splitting in an attempt to keep those two teams....but, I think it is too little, too late....The Longhorns and Sooners are in the catbird seat.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Football will have to break away.

Let's say 48 teams (could be more but not less). Being the greedy b*st*rds that they are, they keep all that money.

Basketball/Olympics will remain as is (break away is only for FB). The Tournament (may not be NCAA Tournament) will continue to support all levels of college sports. If the football schools try to set up their own tournament it die a quick death. Nobody will want to see and elite 48 team tournament year after year.

So, football will be reordered and basketball and Olympic sports will roughly stay the same. Perhaps we'll see more regionalization in these sports but not much, I would imagine.

I don't know what this would mean for the NCAA. Maybe bigtime FB self governs and the NCAA oversees all other sports.

Reaction Score
Basketball is gone with football if there is a breakaway. Those conferences aren't going to leave anything on the table. Why would/should they? There's a reason the NCAA has reached the acceptance stage and is acting like it has just weeks to live.

Reaction Score
Basketball is gone with football if there is a breakaway. Those conferences aren't going to leave anything on the table. Why would/should they? There's a reason the NCAA has reached the acceptance stage and is acting like it has just weeks to live.

If there is a break, then the almost $1B in revenue from the Tournament no longer goes to the NCAA. This does not include regular season revenue. This revenue would significantly increase the importance of Basketball in any model. If this happens and we are amenable to partial shares, UConn is more attractive to a P4 from a financial perspective.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Football will have to break away.

Let's say 48 teams (could be more but not less). Being the greedy b*st*rds that they are, they keep all that money.

Basketball/Olympics will remain as is (break away is only for FB). The Tournament (may not be NCAA Tournament) will continue to support all levels of college sports. If the football schools try to set up their own tournament it die a quick death. Nobody will want to see and elite 48 team tournament year after year.

So, football will be reordered and basketball and Olympic sports will roughly stay the same. Perhaps we'll see more regionalization in these sports but not much, I would imagine.

I don't know what this would mean for the NCAA. Maybe bigtime FB self governs and the NCAA oversees all other sports.

Once football and its revenue is gone, basketball money is the next biggest chunk of change coming in to the AD.
To think schools will not want to start sharing this money is fool hearty IMO. It's the next chunk of money to be hoarded.
This whole situation has scents of a corporation being broken up one company at a time. Once you start peeling back the layers and costs/profits of each company, the individual values become easier. Since each company is no longer feeding the corporation, there is less incentive to hold on to non-profitable entities.

It wouldn't surprise me if given absolute anonymity each college president only wanted 5-6 varsity sports at their respective university and the rest would just be local club sports.

Reaction Score
Stanford was quick to drop a lot of sports. I guess they are going to reinstate them after getting more donations.

The big problem for the SEC and B1G trying to go beyond 16 teams and build a mega conference is all of the dead wood and multiple teams in the same state each conference is saddled with. From a National perspective half of the teams in each conference nobody watches their football games. They are completely irrelevant when it comes to winning the conference. If there are going to be just two super conferences they will need 28-32 teams each.

The way around the GOR is taking enough members in that conference to dissolve the conference. I could see the SEC and B1G dividing up the ACC. Miami, FSU, Clemson & GT to the SEC. ND, UNC, UVA, BC, SU, Pitt to the B1G. That’s 10 of the 15 ACC schools voting to dissolve the ACC to get out of the GOR.

Reaction Score
Yeah the dead wood is a problem. I've always said if you blew the whole thing up and were starting from scratch today in creating five "power" conferences of 10-12 teams each, UConn would be in.

Reaction Score
About 25% of the teams in the current P5 are dead wood or overlaps. Four teams in North Carolina, 2 in Virginia, 2 in Mississippi, 2 in Kentucky, 2 in Tennessee, 2 in Iowa, 5 in Texas, etc.

The real appeal of March Madness is the entire country is involved. A 32 to 40 team league in football and basketball will reduce fan interest significantly as the generations go by. The competition for fan interest is the NFL and the NBA. The college presidents and AD’s don’t understand this fact.

Reaction Score
Where there can be movement is at the GOR ending junctions like we have coming up in the Big 12 and PAC....and Big Ten...the SEC and ACC have long term GOR's in place.
Gors can be negotiated. Especially if the moving parts are in agreeement. For example, do you not think a school like Clemson cant move from one espn owned network to another espn owned network? My guess is yes. But I agree, Ohio State will have to wait. No way will Fox let them leave prematurely.

Reaction Score
Gors can be negotiated. Especially if the moving parts are in agreeement. For example, do you not think a school like Clemson cant move from one espn owned network to another espn owned network? My guess is yes. But I agree, Ohio State will have to wait. No way will Fox let them leave prematurely.

The GOR is a contract that gives ownership of the media rights to the conference...not to ESPN.

The conference owns each individual school's media rights, no matter if that school plays elsewhere.

The conference, in turn, has a media contract with ESPN.

The individual schools of the ACC, for instance, have never seen the ACC contract with ESPN, nor had to sign it...that has been held private by the conference. It has been requested under FOIA by an FSU booster lawyer but the response is that the conference and ESPN are both non public entities and not held to FOIA requirements.

The GOR is a contract between each individual school and the conference...the GOR has been seen via FOIA request.

Reaction Score
The way around the GOR is to invite enough teams from the conference to dissolve the conference. It probably takes a 70% vote or higher to dissolve a conference.

Reaction Score
Well...The SEC isn't taking a thumping nor is the Big Ten...and they are certainly cartels...they have split the country north-south and taken the money.

ESPN is a cartel...

AAU is a by invite cartel with guidelines for measurement data but undefined requirements...vote in by 3/4 of members...an old boys club
Not sure what word you’re going for, but it’s not cartel.

ESPN is not cartel. By definition a cartel is a group of firms.

And if you’re going to argue that membership organizations are cartels then conferences would not be allowed to exist.
Clearly that’s not the case.

Reaction Score
Not sure what word you’re going for, but it’s not cartel.

ESPN is not cartel. By definition a cartel is a group of firms.

And if you’re going to argue that membership organizations are cartels then conferences would not be allowed to exist.
Clearly that’s not the case.

Yeah...I was responding to the spirit of the anti-trust posters...

ESPN owns the SEC's media rights...and are also the country's largest sports media broadcaster.

They have the ability to limit the bandwidth access to other brands.

They have a lot of control over what we can watch...they own the majority of bowl games, have rights to the CFP games.

ESPN may, in a sense, eventually own college football as we see it on TV.

Reaction Score
AAU is a by invite cartel with guidelines for measurement data but undefined requirements...vote in by 3/4 of members...an old boys club.
This is just absolutely and totally wrong. The criteria are defined and announced. There are new schools invited in, and schools that can't cut it kicked out.

I don't really think of Santa Cruz, Boston U. and the University of Utah as part of any old boys network. They are just up and coming schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom