Maybe now the experts will stop wetting themselves over Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maybe now the experts will stop wetting themselves over Baylor

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It should be noted that:
  1. Michigan (Baylor's opponent today) was a #6 seed in the tournament, and therefore (at least in the Committee's judgment) a slightly inferior opponent to Iowa, who was a #5 seed. This is despite the fact that Michigan was ahead of Iowa in the Big 10 standings -- but the Wolverines played many fewer games than Iowa due to COVID.
  2. There was one head-to-head meeting between Michigan and Iowa, on February 25, and the result was a 22-point Iowa victory. Note that this was quite late in the season when both teams were presumably playing at or near the best.
So these data points suggest that UConn defeated a slightly better team by 20 points than Baylor beat in overtime by 3 points.

Just sayin' ...

Reaction Score
Some of the posters were wetting themselves in two places over Baylor not getting a #1 seed... hopefully they washed their faces as well. :cool:
I was not one of them, but until this game I was beginning to think I had severly underestimated Baylor and the Big 12. But its all about matchups and when you catch the other team. I did underestimate both. They are better than I thought. Still UConn should win because they have the better and more complete team. Baylor relies a lot on matchups.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Michigan played Baylor exactly how teams should play them. Limit transition and force Baylor's guards to dribble the ball and make jump shots in the half court. Richards is not a good shooter and Ursin and Carrington are going to make some but mostly 2-point shots. Baylor's guards can be loose with the ball. Michigan had no answer for Smith but most teams don't.

Michigan's biggest problems in the game were the lack of a 3rd scorer after Hillmon and Brown and some critical live-ball turnovers that allowed Carrington to score on the break.

Baylor is a very difficult match-up for any team because of how they defend and rebound. If UConn can limit transition like Michigan did and hold their own on the boards they can certainly win the game.

Reaction Score
From my coaching days every contest was going to be a dog fight. If we won easily and I was questioned about it the answer always was it was easy because you stepped up and performed. Could Baylor be easy for us - not likely but possible. Could they beat us - I don't think it is likely considering how we have been playing but certainly is possible. I believe That our coaches will have the Huskies prepared. I have faith.

Reaction Score
Play inside, queen always has the issue of fouling,i can see AE or ONO will get shine this battle

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I wonder whether this is an appropriate thing for Kim Mulkey to say before the game. It's certainly surprising. What if Olivia were to say, "I'm certainly not going to outplay Nalyssa Smith, so the other players and the coach will have to step up and win this game"?

Kim Mulkey is playing a position for the Baylor Bear WCBB team: the position of head coach. It seems to me that she has to project the same confident attitude that she undoubtedly expects of each of her players -- that she can outplay her UConn counterpart at her position.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wonder whether this is an appropriate thing for Kim Mulkey to say before the game. It's certainly surprising. What if Olivia were to say, "I'm certainly not going to outplay Nalyssa Smith, so the other players and the coach will have to step up and win this game"?

Kim Mulkey is playing a position for the Baylor Bear WCBB team: the position of head coach. It seems to me that she has to project the same confident attitude that she undoubtedly expects of each of her players -- that she can outplay her UConn counterpart at her position.

Silly comment by Kim because there's not an ounce of sincerity or humility in it.

Kim being Kim.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
exactly. could go any way depending on varied factors. .... like who is 'hot' or 'not' or who has 'just not their day.' who knows?

but, it's a real hoot when people here pontificate that 'sue's gotta do thus and so if we are to have any chance' or 'all is lost unless we shoot at least 40% from the arc' etc. GEEZ, like there are so many other variables, but you think you know the one key!

i do know that uconn has a history of doing pretty well in these circumstances in the past and we've been playing OK recently. and that's even without one of our regular starters who had been a significant energizer. i'm comfortable as things stand, but uncertain of the future.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kim being a coach and challenging her players to bail her out! Part of the we are the underdog mantra that I am sure they have been using since they were seeded 7th.

I think if both teams bring their A game Uconn should win by a bit. Kim is a good coach and a good motivator and her team will go to the wall for her. Is that enough? I don't think so, because I think our guards and wings are better, and our posts are equal.

Certainly wish this game was next weekend as I think the winner is going to play in the NC game.

Reaction Score
There were some posters on here wetting their pants over Baylor as well. Hopefully they showered and changed drawls at least.
I hope I didn’t wet my pants, but I did pick them to beat us and win the NC. I thought their defense was really good and their offense was good enough. After watching today’s game I realize that their offense is nowhere near as good as ours... and their defense isn’t as good as I thought. I now think that we’re the favorite, but that, if things go right for Baylor, they can beat us.

Reaction Score
Baylor didn't look very good today. I don't know if they were looking ahead or if they're just not that great. They're not as good as the great Baylor teams of the past. But Smith is the best player on the court in about every game they play. They have zero depth and Richards wasn't looking too good today. I think UConn will exploit their weaknesses.

Reaction Score
It should be noted that:
  1. Michigan (Baylor's opponent today) was a #6 seed in the tournament, and therefore (at least in the Committee's judgment) a slightly inferior opponent to Iowa, who was a #5 seed. This is despite the fact that Michigan was ahead of Iowa in the Big 10 standings -- but the Wolverines played many fewer games than Iowa due to COVID.
  2. There was one head-to-head meeting between Michigan and Iowa, on February 25, and the result was a 22-point Iowa victory. Note that this was quite late in the season when both teams were presumably playing at or near the best.
So these data points suggest that UConn defeated a slightly better team by 20 points than Baylor beat in overtime by 3 points.

Just sayin' ...
This is one match up where covid really was a factor. Michigan was shutdown for a good long time and then they took awhile to get back up to speed. I'm not sure anyone knew how good they were..

Reaction Score
Baylor didn't look very good today. I don't know if they were looking ahead or if they're just not that great. They're not as good as the great Baylor teams of the past. But Smith is the best player on the court in about every game they play. They have zero depth and Richards wasn't looking too good today. I think UConn will exploit their weaknesses.
I think Michigan laid out a plan. They exploited Didi's weaknesses as their PG which really disrupted Baylor's offense.

Reaction Score
Agree. Second chance points will be very difficult against Baylor. We need to shoot 46-48% and at least stay competitive in rebounds. I think these two things are key to winning for the Huskies.
Husky D should highlight Baylor’s penchant for turnovers. I think UConn’s transition game will be a key.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There were some posters on here wetting their pants over Baylor as well. Hopefully they showered and changed drawls at least.
Pants wetting is a Boneyard staple. Hard to imagine this place without it.

It's an annual ritual with Baylor. They ALWAYS play the bully well against the crummy teams in their conference and in the first weekend of the NCAAs. More often than not, the world comes crashing in on them in the second weekend. Obviously it didn't happen two years ago, and there's no guarantee it will happen this year either. But it would still remain, for them, the exception rather than the norm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
exactly. could go any way depending on varied factors. .... like who is 'hot' or 'not' or who has 'just not their day.' who knows?

i'm comfortable as things stand, but uncertain of the future.
Yes. OFC UCONN could get beat. Baylor is one helluva team as is UCONN.

To further that, these games are not being played by pros, and aren't a best of 5 or 7 series. The way the tourney has always been set up it's designed so that the top team(s) can get picked off.

Reaction Score
ANY team in any game, but especially at this stage of a national tournament, is only as good (or bad) as they play that day. Other than to scout tendencies, comparative scores and what happened yesterday is meaningless; Uconn staff and players know that and will be ready. Throw up the ball and let’s see.
I believe UConn’s tremendous balance on both sides of the ball gives them a better than even chance. Do not underestimate how important it is that it is very difficult to create mismatches against Uconn‘s defense, Ono and Edwards can cover on the perimeter and their guards are tough and will fight and compete close to the basket.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn actually is 2nd in APG. Cal Baptist is first. 21.3 to 20.9
NCAA puts CBU stats, "Below the Line" because of the transition to DI(3rd year). Dumbest thing NCAA does.

When looking at NCAA stats, NCAA.org is more detailed than NCAA.com

You will have to got to each stat, then scroll down, below the line.
That’s where I got the statistics. If you click on the team name, you can see a summary of stats. NCAA Statistics

Here’s UConn’s, through March 24th:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I apologize if I sound like Tony +

I thought Baylor looked very ordinary today
Missed loads of chipie's, not so hot from the outside.
Thought that Iowa presented more problems (solved) for our defense
OK, their D and certainly their rebounding is a bit better than the Hawkeyes
But I don't foresee an especially difficult game
UConn is on a roll right now playing their best basketball of the season. Geno has often said that the hardest game of the tournament is game 4, the regional championship. 1 vs 2. The biggest game of the year for both teams.

Is Baylor formidable? Absolutely, but so is UConn. Baylor is just as concerned about us as we are of them. They know they are going to have to play their best game of the season to win.

As other posters have commented, because of the way our team has jelled and is playing right now, I feel very confident going into tomorrow’s game. UConn has an air of confidence now that as a fan, I find refreshing. Earlier in the season before big games, I had my doubts if certain players were going to show up. I don’t have those doubts going into this game.

If UConn can play tomorrow as they did against Iowa (and I see no reason why they can’t/won’t), they can advance to the final four. We saw and expected this match up when the brackets were revealed. Like Iowa, Baylor is not invincible, they can be beat, We saw some of the chinks in their armor yesterday. We know that Baylor will not shrink in the waining moments of the game and beat themselves.

Every team still playing is going to have games like this the rest of the way. Only the elite teams are left. Would you have it any other way?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
FWIW, Massey has UConn over Baylor 69-66 with a 57% chance of winning. I would give UConn a bit better odds, but it’s by no means a gimme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom