Maybe now the experts will stop wetting themselves over Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe now the experts will stop wetting themselves over Baylor

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

Maybe now the experts will stop "wetting themselves" over Baylor​

It "Depends"
The problem will be to get the referees to stop wetting themselves. Some bad calls and missed calls, all in Baylors favor. Are they afraid of Mulkey. Baylor uses brute strength, not finiss. And I don't like Ursin playing in the game.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I apologize if I sound like Tony +

I thought Baylor looked very ordinary today
Missed loads of chipie's, not so hot from the outside.
Thought that Iowa presented more problems (solved) for our defense
OK, their D and certainly their rebounding is a bit better than the Hawkeyes
But I don't foresee an especially difficult game

Baylor is 3rd in team defense, Iowa 215th.

Baylor is #1 in rebound margin, Iowa 144th.

Reaction Score
Each game is a new experience for much of our team. We will need to execute well to win. I have watched Baylor a few times. They are a very strong team. We should never underestimate the quality of the competition. Better to defend well and close out than assume the opponent will miss. I hope we make our shots!

I look forward to a good game and a Uconn win.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Terps on the other side of the draw. Many miles to go before either team gets there.

That's the team I'd be worrying about (said the guy who has no horse -- dang -- in this race).

Hey, Smith shot as well as she can and they escape over Michigan. If ONO does not get in foul trouble and Edwards is tough, I can't see this being an issue. Barnes-Arico just showed everyone how to handle it and you've got 10 times better athletes than the Wolverines.

I'm a Domer and I'm confident for you....geesh ;)

Reaction Score
Even though my pants are still dry, I thought. and still think, that Baylor is a very impressive team. That said, as one poster said, if UConn shows up firing on all cylinders, they can win. But to me, it's all about matchups. And while Bueckers presents problems for any team, Baylor's size could be a real issue, especially if our bigs get into foul trouble. That's been noticeably absent from the team recently, but it's been an issue in the past, and would really create problems if it were to happen.
Much depends upon how the game is refed. If it's called tight, this can be a problem of us. Baylor didn't seem to have a 3 point game, pushed the ball inside where they were somewhat effective but also missed a large number of layups. I don't know if this is a chronic problem for them, it sure was for our men's team. We also go 8 deep but not inside if foul trouble arrives.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There were some posters on here wetting their pants over Baylor as well. Hopefully they showered and changed drawls at least.
When speaking of Baylor , drawls are quite appropriate.

Reaction Score
Baylor will be a lot tougher than Iowa. Iowa had a weak defense, and gave up a lot of offensive rebounds. Baylor has good defenders and rebounders. Expect a tough game. Will we shoot 60% against Baylor?
Agree. Second chance points will be very difficult against Baylor. We need to shoot 46-48% and at least stay competitive in rebounds. I think these two things are key to winning for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Baylor is 3rd in team defense, Iowa 215th.

Baylor is #1 in rebound margin, Iowa 144th.
Anyone who takes Baylor for granted has not followed women's college basketball this year. My assessment is that they had their eyes on UConn and were not prepared to play a good Mich. team. Baylor has as much talent as anyone in the country but we have Paige and a better team.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn is:
#2 in scoring defense
#3 in field goal defense
#4 in scoring offense
#1 in field goal %
#4 in personal fouls
#4 in assist to turnover ratio
#1 in assists per game
#6 in rebound margin
UConn actually is 2nd in APG. Cal Baptist is first. 21.3 to 20.9
NCAA puts CBU stats, "Below the Line" because of the transition to DI(3rd year). Dumbest thing NCAA does.

When looking at NCAA stats, NCAA.org is more detailed than NCAA.com

You will have to got to each stat, then scroll down, below the line.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Baylor is going to be an easy opponent, because they didn't play as well as Connecticut today, is the one wetting themselves.
Has literally ANYONE on this board said anything about Baylor being "easy"? Not sure why you even made the comment.

Everyone here knows Baylor is tough as hell. My point was that maybe now the so-called "experts" will stop with the "Baylor is the team to beat" mantra. Obviously the game has to be played. But if Baylor plays like they did today and UCONN plays like we did today, I like our chances a LOT more than I like Baylor's.

Reaction Score
Kim is the second best coach in the country(sorry Tara). Her teams are always prepared.. I think 68 points will win it.

Reaction Score
Smith going 11 for 11 is hardly ordinary. More All American, and the first time it's been done.
She is a bit of a matchup problem for us. I think Aaliyah is athletic enough and will be up for the challenge. If she gets in foul trouble we have Aubrey and Anna to take her on. We are a better offensive team than Baylor. Texas held them to 66. We are going to need Chrystn and E to play like they did today. UConn wins 74-68.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Where did Kim Mulkey get hers? I was unaware people from Los Angeles talk with that kind of accent.
Maybe the twenty years she spent in Ruston, La.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Kim is the second best coach in the country(sorry Tara). Her teams are always prepared.. I think 68 points will win it.
Agree, Kim is the second best coach in the country:

Tara: Two national championships, both before Connecticut became the dominant team in NCAA women's basketball.
Kim: Three national championships, all three during the era Connecticut became the dominant team in NCAA women's basketball.

Reaction Score
UCONN systematically dismantled a really good Iowa team, and it took everything Baylor had in OT to beat 6 seed Michigan, who by the way, apparently was without their starting PG.

Baylor plays some smothering defense and has good size, but they don't seem to have a true PG. Michigan is noticeably smaller than UCONN, and still almost sprung the upset. Not saying it will be an easy game by any stretch, but man was I sick of the "Baylor has been the most impressive team in the NCAA's".

Not to mention the predictions by some that "Baylor will come out of that region and make it to the final 4".

NO THANK YOU. Or to quote Dikembe Mutombo from those commercials "NO NO NO... Not in my house!"...
Baylor is hardly an offensive juggernaut but don't sell them short regardless of how they looked today...........they are big, physical and play tough defense so the odds of an easy victory are pretty low in my opinion.........Of course if UConn shoots well from the outside they should win this battle but I
have a feeling it's not going to be a high scoring game as Baylor slows play in the half court.............

Reaction Score
I apologize if I sound like Tony +

I thought Baylor looked very ordinary today
Missed loads of chipie's, not so hot from the outside.
Thought that Iowa presented more problems (solved) for our defense
OK, their D and certainly their rebounding is a bit better than the Hawkeyes
But I don't foresee an especially difficult game
Tony's contagious, isn't he?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member