Maryland, UCLA, Oregon, UConn and Other Injured Teams | The Boneyard

Maryland, UCLA, Oregon, UConn and Other Injured Teams

Reaction Score
I know that the past week was tough on those teams due to injuries. Maybe some other but those really caught the eye. If other schools are currently performing below expectations due to injuries, please feel free to discuss.

When do these teams expect/hope to be back as close to full strength as possible?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know that the past week was tough on those teams due to injuries. Maybe some other but those really caught the eye. :eek:
When do these teams expect/hope to be back as close to full strength as possible?
:eek: I don't think UCONN will hit their full stride until Aubrey comes back and Azzi fully heals up. :D Allegedly.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the illnesses to Benzan and Masonius are (covid ?), but I would expect them back shortly, hopefully. Masonius has been out a couple of weeks, last game was 11/14, while Benzan‘s last game was 11/16.

Miller is another story, seems like her knee has been bothering her since the early summer USA team games, although I thought I remember hearing she hurt her ankle in those games. Miller looked in a lot of pain at one point in the Baylor game. While she is supposed to be day to day, it doesn't look like day to day.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the illnesses to Benzan and Masonius are (covid ?), but I would expect them back shortly, hopefully. Masonius has been out a couple of weeks, last game was 11/14, while Benzan‘s last game was 11/16.

Miller is another story, seems like her knee has been bothering her since the early summer USA team games, although I thought I remember hearing she hurt her ankle in those games. Miller looked in a lot of pain at one point in the Baylor game. While she is supposed to be day to day, it doesn't look like day to day.
This is a good question, however several teams have been affected by the flu from what I've noticed. Michigan and Michigan State have had players out for a game or two because of it. I heard it also had affected the Louisville program before the season officially kicked off.

Reaction Score
I think you’re probably right about the flu. And I should have noted that also. I didn’t want to put any kind of stigma on the girls that way.

Reaction Score
I think you’re probably right about the flu. And I should have noted that also. I didn’t want to put any kind of stigma on the girls that way.
I'm don't understand how you would have placed any type of stigma if you had noted the flu as it's that time of year. Regarding COVID, I would hope/assume that schools would be upfront with respect to reporting infections/outbreaks while maintaining some privacy. Iowa did a good job of it recently without naming players if memory serves correct.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm don't understand how you would have placed any type of stigma if you had noted the flu as it's that time of year. Regarding COVID, I would hope/assume that schools would be upfront with respect to reporting infections/outbreaks while maintaining some privacy. Iowa did a good job of it recently without naming players if memory serves correct.
Well, I think the point is with so many key players out, some teams have lost games due to the injuries or illness that they otherwise would have NOT lost. For Iowa, they had their games cancelled so the school/coach didn't have to address the absence of a player. Whether Iowa plays this Thursday is still suspect as they have to have clean tests on Wednesday. We are lucky in the respect that Connecticut mandated all the students be vaccinated so that gives a huge advantage on Covid unlike Iowa which did not mandate the policy. Individual rights is one thing, but when you play a sport that has spectators and department personnel around all the time, you have to be held to higher degree of care, like being vaccinated.

Injuries are all part of the equation and how many can you withstand before it becomes too much. Heck ND had what-4 or 5 knee injuries the year they won the title which was taken under consideration to allow Sheppard to play without sitting a year. That was pretty remarkable.

Reaction Score
UCLA is currently fielding 8 players (out of 14). Emily Bessoir out for the year. Gina Conti and Angela Dugalic were still in crutches as of last week. No timetable for Kiara Jefferson, Brynn Masikewich, or Camryn Brown. Charisma Osborne played over the weekend. Obviously, Conti and Dugalic are expected to be major contributors. Brown and Jefferson provide speed and hustle. We've never really seen Masikewich. Absent any announcements or surprises, I would expect to see Conti and Dugalic in January. The other three are walking around and could, theoretically, show up for any game.

Currently, Anstey is the main post, splitting time with Kayla Owens. Anstey can't run up and down the court for a whole game and Owens is a bit out of position. Penn and Osborne are handling the point, and Penn is very turnover prone. Neither is a true point. I would expect mediocre performance from the Bruins until and unless at least Conti comes back. At least one other player needs to be available for flexibility and energy.

But late season performance may be quite different from early season results.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
For Oregon: I think it is fairly certain that Endiya Rogers (broken bone) will return by the new year. Tehina Paopao stayed home from the Bahamas to have some sort of minor procedure done on a knee. She played in the first exhibition and looked terrific, and a couple of minutes in another game, but that's it. From the stands she doesn't seem to have a limp and there is no brace of any sort; Graves has said that he hopes she will be back on the court by conference play, but his statements remain quite vague. Nyara Sabally bruised a knee in the second game of the season and has played off and on in games since. So "day-to-day" seems to be the right phrase for her. They are the 3 best players on the team--2 best guards, best big, all of them on the all Pac12 team last year--so fingers crossed all around.

A reserve guard (Taylor Bigby) has also been out with an ankle injury (no timetable given), and a transfer forward (Taylor Hosendove) hasn't been cleared by the NCAA. That has left a roster of 8.

Reaction Score
Well, I think the point is with so many key players out, some teams have lost games due to the injuries or illness that they otherwise would have NOT lost. For Iowa, they had their games cancelled so the school/coach didn't have to address the absence of a player. Whether Iowa plays this Thursday is still suspect as they have to have clean tests on Wednesday. We are lucky in the respect that Connecticut mandated all the students be vaccinated so that gives a huge advantage on Covid unlike Iowa which did not mandate the policy. Individual rights is one thing, but when you play a sport that has spectators and department personnel around all the time, you have to be held to higher degree of care, like being vaccinated.

Injuries are all part of the equation and how many can you withstand before it becomes too much. Heck ND had what-4 or 5 knee injuries the year they won the title which was taken under consideration to allow Sheppard to play without sitting a year. That was pretty remarkable.
I think we're missing each other on this one. I get the point regarding key players being out.

My point about the COVID testing and privacy is more in relation to what we're seeing with professional sports. Because it's become so partisan in how people react, I'm hoping that these players are given some level of privacy in comparison. It's challenging enough to navigate through all of this as it is.

Also, do we know for sure that the Iowa program doesn't have a vaccination policy? I understand that state doesn't have a vaccination mandate, but does this prevent the team from having their own policy in effect? For all we know, these could be breakthrough cases even though they're not as common.

Reaction Score
Actually, I should have been clearer, I meant putting the Covid stigma on them, not the flu.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND lost Kate Gilbert and Anaya Peoples to a non-COVID illness for the Bryant game. Peoples came back, but Gilbert has not, which has opened more time for the flaming defensive redhead, Abby Prohaska.

The concern now for the Irish is with Sam Brunelle. After a fine start, she had some back issues and missed a few games. While she's come back, her minutes are down and many on the Bench are wondering if she's being treated with doctors/trainers gloves. If that's the case, so be it.

Sam had/has been playing well on all fronts and it would help the Dodson-Westbeld-Brunelle rotation immensely if Sam can go full steam. Plus, she's still ND's other major three-pt. threat, after Dara Mabrey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND lost Kate Gilbert and Anaya Peoples to a non-COVID illness for the Bryant game. Peoples came back, but Gilbert has not, which has opened more time for the flaming defensive redhead, Abby Prohaska.

The concern now for the Irish is with Sam Brunelle. After a fine start, she had back issues and missed a few games. While she's come back, her minutes are down and many on the Bench are wondering if she's been treated with doctors/trainers gloves.

Sam had/has been playing well on all fronts and it would help the Dodson-Westbeld-Brunelle rotation immensely if Sam can go full steam. Plus, she's still ND's other major three-pt. threat, after Dara Mabrey.

Yikes. I would hope they are treating it with kid gloves. I would hate to see it be an ongoing issue for her throughout the season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yikes. I would hope they are treating it with kid gloves. I would hate to see it be an ongoing issue for her throughout the season.

I would say the answer to that is an unequivocal yes. She didn't play for a few games and she's been used sparingly since she's come back. Also, as noted, no one knows whether this is still or how deep an issue it is because kid's medical rights are protected.

We're all hoping she's ok and can play without pain going forward.
Will keep you posted and her minutes on Sunday against UConn may also give some insight.

Reaction Score
:eek: I don't think UCONN will hit their full stride until Aubrey comes back and Azzi fully heals up. :D Allegedly.
Again, why this emphasis on Aubrey? Great person but a liability on the floor from an offensive point of view. Sorry, sorry but this suggestion that Aubrey is the answer means UConn is destined to fall flat again. In two previous years, she has had a good game once, spurts in others. And Azzi can’t defend a chair.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, why this emphasis on Aubrey? Great person but a liability on the floor from an offensive point of view. Sorry, sorry but this suggestion that Aubrey is the answer means UConn is destined to fall flat again. In two previous years, she has had a good game once, spurts in others. And Azzi can’t defend a chair.
giphy.gif

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon update:

No Sabally, Paopao, or Rogers for now. Graves hopes all 3 will be back by Christmas, although there is a chance that some (all?) may be able to play in time for the team's road trip to Kansas State and Northwestern on the 18th and 21st. Taylor Bigby has been cleared to play, and there may finally be a decision on Hosendove's eligibility in the next day or two.

Reaction Score
44 consecutive non conference win steak at home comes to an end for Oregon as they go down to “mighty” Cal-Davis 64-57. Ouch. Not sure at this point that the Ducks will win a game in December

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can Oregon get Jaz Shelley back? Averaging 14.6 ppg 7.2 rpg .571 overall .622 from 3. Holy cow.

The days of the Pac 12 title going thru the State of Oregon could be over for a while. After 6 straight conference titles by OSU or UO, streak was snapped last year and not looking good for this season.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
44 consecutive non conference win steak at home comes to an end for Oregon as they go down to “mighty” Cal-Davis 64-57. Ouch. Not sure at this point that the Ducks will win a game in December
Unfortunately, I agree: no go to scorer, no one who can carry the team even for a few minutes--really a group of mostly complementary players taking on responsibility that they aren't ready for. And then there's Prince: 5 shots, 1rebound.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Even more surprising to me than this loss is the fact that Sedona Prince was benched for the last 6:43 of the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...are we still saying Prince is better than Hebard ever was? I remember one overly exuberant UO fan declared that after 1 or 2 games last year.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Even more surprising to me than this loss is the fact that Sedona Prince was benched for the last 6:43 of the game.
Graves and Prince looked like they were having (or he was having) a serious talk prior to that; he was not giving out compliments; she had her hands on her hips, etc.

Prince and Sabally have a good synergy and are an effective pair (imo) because Nyara does not hesitate to work inside and Prince can then hang around the high post, make passes (which she does well), and take the mid range shots that she loves (and is good at). But Prince minus Nyara = a 6'7" post who would much rather be a stretch 4 at best. Both Watson and Kyei can at least bang and rebound.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I agree: no go to scorer, no one who can carry the team even for a few minutes--really a group of mostly complementary players taking on responsibility that they aren't ready for. And then there's Prince: 5 shots, 1rebound.
And in comparison Kyei is on the court for 8 minutes and had 7. They could have been during garbage time, but how Prince only mustered 1 in almost 30 minutes of play is mind boggling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom