Maryland @ Michigan - 3/04/21 | The Boneyard

Maryland @ Michigan - 3/04/21

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
46-26 MD at the half

Ouch! Only three shots attempted by Hillmon.

Reaction Score
46-26 MD at the half

Ouch! Only three shots attempted by Hillmon.

Was able to find a stream to watch it live. Maryland's defensive scheme is doing it's job.

Michigan looks shell shocked. I thought they'd put up more of a fight.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NOW can I say Michigan is fading? I wasn't allowed to last week, but in combination w/ the Iowa game they don't seem to be trending in a good direction.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NOW can I say Michigan is fading? I wasn't allowed to last week, but in combination w/ the Iowa game they don't seem to be trending in a good direction.
They are not the same team since they came out of COVID protocol.

Reaction Score
Hillmon getting more involved now but it’s not going to be enough down 21 in the third.

Reaction Score
I'm giving them until the BIG10 tournament. If they don't perform well there, then I'd agree.
They are not the same team since they came out of COVID protocol.
Yeah, something seems to have changed in the team's demeanour.

Reaction Score
Maryland beat Michigan 88-63 to win their 6th Big 10 title in seven years. Also, the #1 seed in the Big 10 tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm giving them until the BIG10 tournament. If they don't perform well there, then I'd agree.

Yeah, something seems to have changed in the team's demeanour.
They have a great 1-2 punch in Hillmon and L. Brown, but otherwise, this team isn’t athletic and doesn’t have a ton to offer for support. They’ve still had a good year and could make the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
They have a great 1-2 punch in Hillmon and L. Brown, but otherwise, this team isn’t athletic and doesn’t have a ton to offer for support. They’ve still had a good year and could make the Sweet 16.

Agreed and that's what has me perplexed as I expected more out of Dilk and H. Brown this season. Dilk has disappeared. H Brown is hit and miss depending on her motivation.

Not having Varejo as a larger post hurt them as well. Still not fully clear on her immigration issue however it's not unusual as other teams in the NCAA had similar challenges (e.g. UCLA).

Reaction Score
Agreed and that's what has me perplexed as I expected more out of Dilk and H. Brown this season. Dilk has disappeared. H Brown is hit and miss depending on her motivation.

Not having Varejo as a larger post hurt them as well. Still not fully clear on her immigration issue however it's not unusual as other teams in the NCAA had similar challenges (e.g. UCLA).
Another poster noted the general lack of player development under KBA, which I have to agree with. Dilk and H. Brown look to be the same players today as they were two years ago. Hillmon has improved but you get the sense it’s of her own accord—announcers are always talking about the work she puts into her game.

You think about K. Flaherty and H. Thome of the past and neither of those two players really evolved much after making a huge impact as underclassmen.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Brenda did a great job this year adjusting to this roster, they definitely are not a team I would want in my bracket come tourney time.
Nope. That's the saving grace for NC State if they remain on the 2-line; we avoid Maryland until the Final Four (unless the Terps nab a 1-seed).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nope. That's the saving grace for NC State if they remain on the 2-line; we avoid Maryland until the Final Four (unless the Terps nab a 1-seed).
I was just about to say, I think Maryland can be very much in the mix for the final 1 seed, in the event SC and NC State don't win their conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
Now that would sure be a game. Cunane would probably have her way inside. But my goodness, I think most teams would rather play UConn or A&M then Maryland (not because the Terps are necessarily better, but because their fast pace and score-in-bunches MO presents a tough matchup for a lot of teams).

Reaction Score
Another poster noted the general lack of player development under KBA, which I have to agree with. Dilk and H. Brown look to be the same players today as they were two years ago. Hillmon has improved but you get the sense it’s of her own accord—announcers are always talking about the work she puts into her game.

You think about K. Flaherty and H. Thome of the past and neither of those two players really evolved much after making a huge impact as underclassmen.

I've heard the same, but I disagree regarding H. Brown. She was much more aggressive as a HS player and when she represented Canada. She was an important part of the bronze medal U19 squad along with Amihere, Koning and Jerome. Reasons why she regressed/hasn't progressed, I'm open to opinions.

Regarding Hillmon, I agree she's got an internal drive that is special. I also think their post coach there is another reason as I remember reading that she was the post coach at Baylor before joining Michigan. I believe it's a combination of the two.

Reaction Score
I was just about to say, I think Maryland can be very much in the mix for the final 1 seed, in the event SC and NC State don't win their conference tournaments.
Of course Maryland will have to win their own tournament. Currently there are three teams in the Big 10 with 8 game+ winning streaks. Maryland, Indiana and Rutgers.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
MD had a great defensive scheme, and the biggest issue I saw for MI was that they don't have a guard that can break defenses down on her own. That leaves Hillmon working her butt off to get touches in the post, but MD did not respect Michigan's outside shooters nor could any of their guards get through their perimeter defense. Naz needs to take a cue from Napheesa Collier and look to expand her game; a 3-pt shot would of course be helpful, but just being able to get the ball and drive would be an improvement.

Reaction Score
MD had a great defensive scheme, and the biggest issue I saw for MI was that they don't have a guard that can break defenses down on her own. That leaves Hillmon working her butt off to get touches in the post, but MD did not respect Michigan's outside shooters nor could any of their guards get through their perimeter defense. Naz needs to take a cue from Napheesa Collier and look to expand her game; a 3-pt shot would of course be helpful, but just being able to get the ball and drive would be an improvement.

Why should MD respect Michigan's outside shooters? If anything, they're streaky but they haven't shown that they're much of a threat lately. Until Michigan makes multiple outside shots, a lot of teams are going to pack the key.

Based on the projected bracket for the BIG10 tournament, they could meet again. Question is will the Michigan players learn from this game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not saying they should have respected Michigan's outside shooters at all--it just made it even more difficult to get the ball into Naz, who seems like she can only score from the post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom