Martha’s Vineyard boating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Martha’s Vineyard boating

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boat is a dual console 239 key west, 300 hp Yamaha
Nice boat but I wouldn't consider it an offshore boat. Good for inlets and staying close. Martha vineyard is doable as it's only about 4 miles out but I would never consider taking it to Nantucket.

I usually go out on a 33' egg harbor sport fish but wouldn't consider taking it to the cannon even though it's doable. When I make that trip it's typically on my buddy's 42 or 51 hatteras

Context matters with surf, wind and currents. I know people who will take that boat 25 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. But currents are relatively calm and they wouldn't take it out if surf is more than 3'-5'.

I'd be leery getting on a 24' and taking the trip to MV just because of the changes in environmental conditions.

Reaction Score
Context matters with surf, wind and currents. I know people who will take that boat 25 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. But currents are relatively calm and they wouldn't take it out if surf is more than 3'-5'.

I'd be leery getting on a 24' and taking the trip to MV just because of the changes in environmental conditions.

My family had a 28' sailboat and we would often take it from Noank to Block or Montauk. In hindsight that probably wasn't a great idea. You can cancel your trip if the weather turns before you are leaving, but once you're there, you have to get home. We had a couple of very nasty trips back because the weather turned late in the weekend. It's no fun. The last one was when I was a Senior in High School. Went out on Saturday of Labor Day weekend with a forecast for perfect weather all weekend and no wind. Woke up on Sunday with 20 knots out of the east and a Monday forecast for 30+. Tried to leave on Sunday. Made it a quarter mile and turned around. Had to leave the boat anchored in the harbor for a week and go get it the following weekend.

Mom made dad sell the boat the next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My family had a 28' sailboat and we would often take it from Noank to Block or Montauk. In hindsight that probably wasn't a great idea. You can cancel your trip if the weather turns before you are leaving, but once you're there, you have to get home. We had a couple of very nasty trips back because the weather turned late in the weekend. It's no fun. The last one was when I was a Senior in High School. Went out on Saturday of Labor Day weekend with a forecast for perfect weather all weekend and no wind. Woke up on Sunday with 20 knots out of the east and a Monday forecast for 30+. Tried to leave on Sunday. Made it a quarter mile and turned around. Had to leave the boat anchored in the harbor for a week and go get it the following weekend.

Mom made dad sell the boat the next year.

I'd honestly feel safer in a 28' sailboat than a 24' dual console on that trek.

Reaction Score
why?
Because a sailboat has a keel primarily filled with thousands of pounds of lead that puts 5' or 6' of stability under water. As long as the deck plates are in and the hatches are closed so you don't get water below deck , a sailboat will right itself if it gets knocked down. The next wave hits the keel and flips it upright.
There isn't enough of a keel on a power boat and if they flip they generally sink. If the power goes the boat is at the mercy of the waves while a sailboat can reduce sail and quarter the waves.

Reaction Score
Because a sailboat has a keel primarily filled with thousands of pounds of lead that puts 5' or 6' of stability under water. As long as the deck plates are in and the hatches are closed so you don't get water below deck , a sailboat will right itself if it gets knocked down. The next wave hits the keel and flips it upright.
There isn't enough of a keel on a power boat and if they flip they generally sink. If the power goes the boat is at the mercy of the waves while a sailboat can reduce sail and quarter the waves.

Another safety tip to add that most novice boaters don't know/ realize if you are in the cabin you shouldn't have a life vest on because if the sailboat does capsize you won't be able to get out of the cabin

Reaction Score
Modern catamarans can pitch pole and flip.
Catamarans can plane similar to power boats. Sailboats displace water. This is why there is a maximum hull speed for sailboats of the same length on the water line : the boat can catch up to its own bow wave and stall. Not so with a planing boat.

Reaction Score
There were 27' sailboats at Block Island Race Week, and Off-Soundings.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom