Martha’s Vineyard boating | The Boneyard

Martha’s Vineyard boating

Reaction Score
I’m new to boating, currently have a 24 foot boat in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Any ideas on where good fishing is, or good places to drop anchor welcome. We’d like to go to Martha’s vineyard. Apparently you can use a mooring at Oak Bluffs, but up to 4 boats may use the same mooring. Anyone have any experience with that, and where to find out the proper way to tie up to other boats? And how to leave when you have boats on both sides?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This should explain it:

Call the Oak Bluffs Harbormaster with any questions: (508) 693-4355. If it's still Todd Alexander, he's a really good guy and should be able to explain anything.

Reaction Score
How new to boating are you? You may want to get some experience locally before going out on your 24' boat to Martha vineyard

I was around boats quite a bit growing up. I have taken classes on the basics. This is my first boat and the area is new. The boat will handle most conditions I'd try (wind < 12, seas <= 2ft) between here (Falmouth) and Martha's Vineyard. So far we've been from Hyannis down past Woods Hole with no problems. Seems to be a lot of boats around our size or smaller. My wife is getting tired of just driving around, wants to spend some time on Martha's Vineyard, ...

Reaction Score
I was around boats quite a bit growing up. I have taken classes on the basics. This is my first boat and the area is new. The boat will handle most conditions I'd try (wind < 12, seas <= 2ft) between here (Falmouth) and Martha's Vineyard. So far we've been from Hyannis down past Woods Hole with no problems. Seems to be a lot of boats around our size or smaller. My wife is getting tired of just driving around, wants to spend some time on Martha's Vineyard, ...

We don't know how long you have owned the boat, what type of boat, your experience, the shape the boat is in, your emergency gear, how you react in an emergency, etc., etc. I hate to say it, but most of these questions are from guys that shouldn't be doing what they are asking about

Headed to MV there is Bishop & Clerk's which is a rocky shoal south of Pt. Gammon, be sure to stay clear as there are some huge boulder there that will ruin your day. Continuing west, Horshoe Shoal has an area where there are exposed rocks, also stay clear, other than that it won't be bad. There are shoals as you head west from the Shoe, should be enough water, but if the tide is pullin' against the SW wind, it could be hairy

just an fyi if coming from falmouth and going to OB be carefull coming around the corner near vineyard haven. gets a little choppy there to. you can always try and time it right and run behind the high speed ferry. nice smooth ride as long as you can hang with him.

Know the circumstances.... and even if you are wrong (within reason), you have an hour of "every wave in the face" misery to withstand... no one has died from it. But it could really turn off a rookie crew.

So here is the bottom line... go slow. Push things just a bit at a time. Learn as you go. Take your poundings in stride and be safe and have fun

Check your charts, tides, and weather conditions. It could be 2 mph winds in morning with the sound being flat as glass then come afternoon the SW wind comes in at 12 mph and if the tide is going out during this time you are going to have some chop and a wet hairy ride back. All it takes is one good wave

Reaction Score
Always obey the 1/3 rule. I also keep a 3 or 5 gal. tank of fairly fresh fuel on board.

Reaction Score
I’m new to boating, currently have a 24 foot boat in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Any ideas on where good fishing is, or good places to drop anchor welcome. We’d like to go to Martha’s vineyard. Apparently you can use a mooring at Oak Bluffs, but up to 4 boats may use the same mooring. Anyone have any experience with that, and where to find out the proper way to tie up to other boats? And how to leave when you have boats on both sides?
Marthas Vinyard is blue water. Make sure you check weather reports.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I find a good pair of water shoes works well for perching on an overturned hull.
rs-197677-MCDJAWS_EC028_H.jpg

Reaction Score
What kind of 24' boat? and motor?

Just sailed thru MV. Seasonally, it's getting to be rock-n-roll time off-shore, so beware. Pick your day.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We sold it a few years ago because we just weren't using it, but we had a 37'Tiara that we took around the Vineyard a few times - you have to pay attention to the shoals and your navigation, but it's not difficult.

Being a relative novice in a 24-footer, you really need to pay attention to the weather and the wind. Have a backup plan that doesn't involve winging it.

And, this is really advice for anyone with a boat, drop $200 on a Sea Tow membership. It's not optional, you need it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We sold it a few years ago because we just weren't using it, but we had a 37'Tiara that we took around the Vineyard a few times - you have to pay attention to the shoals and your navigation, but it's not difficult.

Being a relative novice in a 24-footer, you really need to pay attention to the weather and the wind. Have a backup plan that doesn't involve winging it.

And, this is really advice for anyone with a boat, drop $200 on a Sea Tow membership. It's not optional, you need it.

Check your boat insurer. I have Progressive and it has boat tow membership included.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What kind of 24' boat? and motor?

Just sailed thru MV. Seasonally, it's getting to be rock-n-roll time off-shore, so beware. Pick your day.

Haven't been on the water, but I've been down at the Cape several times recently and the wind and surf has really been high bayside, Natucket sound and Buzzard's Bay.

Used to want a boat. You guys are changing my mind.

Reaction Score
Haven't been on the water, but I've been down at the Cape several times recently and the wind and surf has really been high bayside, Natucket sound and Buzzard's Bay.

Used to want a boat. You guys are changing my mind.
Had a string of sailboats for 12 years. LI Sound is one thing but once you pass Watch Hill you are in blue water and the game changes. 24' is small but in a major blow you are a cork in the water no matter what you have.
If you haven't already take a Power Squadron course or two. The problem with power boats is you just turn the key and you are an instant captain. DOn't be that guy; there are already too many. Learn how to navigate and my second recommendation is learn how to navigate. At some point you will get caught in fog. Good luck!

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Never used the moorings at Oak Bluffs because of the involuntary rafting. Love the dock at OB however. Enjoy an early morning walk through the campground.

The moorings are good at Edgartown, but you can end up with a long haul by dink to go ashore. We never enjoyed the community at Edgartown as much as much as Oak Bluffs. There is a large anchorage in the southern end of the harbor, but I'm not sure I would want to spend the night there.

The last time I was in Vineyard Haven (2 boats ago with no AC) they stuck me on the gas dock & I almost passed out from the fumes. Never went back. On a previous trip however we had a Carly Simon sighting. ;)

Never stayed at Menemsha. Looks like a good anchorage in the salt pond as long as it doesn't get too crowded.

John Hersey wrote a terrific book about bluefishing in Vineyard Sound. Appropriately entitled "Blues". Kind of a modern saltwater "Compleat Angler".

Reaction Score
Used the dock/marina at Oaks Bluff many times. Depending upon where you are and how close to dumpsters be wary of the rats. I've actually seen rats running on the dock lines onto boats that were stern to.

Reaction Score
Boat is a dual console 239 key west, 300 hp Yamaha

Nice boat but I wouldn't consider it an offshore boat. Good for inlets and staying close. Martha vineyard is doable as it's only about 4 miles out but I would never consider taking it to Nantucket.

I usually go out on a 33' egg harbor sport fish but wouldn't consider taking it to the cannon even though it's doable. When I make that trip it's typically on my buddy's 42 or 51 hatteras

Reaction Score
Had a string of sailboats for 12 years. LI Sound is one thing but once you pass Watch Hill you are in blue water and the game changes. 24' is small but in a major blow you are a cork in the water no matter what you have.
If you haven't already take a Power Squadron course or two. The problem with power boats is you just turn the key and you are an instant captain. DOn't be that guy; there are already too many. Learn how to navigate and my second recommendation is learn how to navigate. At some point you will get caught in fog. Good luck!
Nice boat but I wouldn't consider it an offshore boat. Good for inlets and staying close. Martha vineyard is doable as it's only about 4 miles out but I would never consider taking it to Nantucket.

I usually go out on a 33' egg harbor sport fish but wouldn't consider taking it to the cannon even though it's doable. When I make that trip it's typically on my buddy's 42 or 51 hatteras

Agreed, never plan on farther than 5

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom