Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
That hurts like hell. It is like dozens of knives poking your shins. Excruciatingly painful.
Shin Splints? Sounds like many here on the BY may be prone to this. It says they "often occur in athletes who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. The increased activity overworks the muscles, tendons and bone tissue". That's us!
wired jim carrey GIF

Reaction Score
There were a few things to clean up. Clock management at the end of quarters for one. Not as pretty as the game against Villanova. I have a theory about that (see below). Would have liked to have seen a better assist to turnover ratio but there really isn't too much to complain about with a 34 point MOV.

Is it just me, or does Marquette seem like the UCF of the Big East?
I said this last night, but I think it needs to be explained.

Marquette is better coached and has more talent than UCF. I thought UCF tip-toed the line of being dirty, where I think that Marquette is physical and tough.

So, while the games sort of resemble them and they'll always be grinders, I don't think Marquette plays like UCF.

Reaction Score
Shin Splints? Sounds like many here on the BY may be prone to this. It says they "often occur in athletes who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. The increased activity overworks the muscles, tendons and bone tissue". That's us!
wired jim carrey GIF
nah. I get my exercise with the frequent toilet visits that age gives to me. I got the shin splints when I was 19 playing BB after a year off. Every step is excruciating. Running is darn near impossible.

Had to ice down and then take a hot whirlpool bath after practice every day. Took about a week or two to get over. I'll never forget it though.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great Job Defensively, but realize Marquette doesn't have players that can easily get to the Rim. Nor do they have any team speed. As long as team was able to get out and run to score baskets in transition they looked great on offense. Once Marquette stopped the transition baskets and it became a half court game, team struggled on offense. Marquette clogged the middle to take away UConn's low post offense and it was effective. Olivia and Aaliyah scored 11 points and in the last game they scored 35. Marquette also did a better job on the boards.

The game was over after the 1st quarter as Marquette was incapable of coming back from a 19 point deficit. UConn's defense would not have allowed that to happen. Nor does Marquette have the player(s) that can take over a game. Still a good win, but I'm disappointed in UConn's half court offense. After a great 1st quarter, Christyn disappeared for long stretches of the game and had a few baskets as time was running out. I would like to have seen both Olivia and Christyn have better games against a good but not great Marquette.

I'm concerned it will be up to Paige and Aaliyah if UConn is to get to the Final Four. Evina will play steady but her offense can't be relied upon to have a great game when its needed. I don't know what Christyn and Olivia will do when UConn faces Top 15 competition.

Sorry to be a downer, but just calling as I see it. ?

Reaction Score
Sorry! While I'm all for fun and most all of the comments here are good fun, I do not see the fun in posting stats, comments, glorifying the pounding of overmatched opponents. Add to this Geno apparently likes to run up the score by keeping starters in long after they are needed. I know, that's the way Geno does it. And Geno loves all his players, including his practice players who get cleanup minutes in routs and no minutes in meaningful
Well it must be on the side. Is that legal? Total revenue was only $4.5M in 2019.
“Is that legal?” Do you actually think UConn would pay the most high profile, accomplished women’s basketball coach in the history of the game illegally? I guess you really do have issues with Geno! This is a common thing in College sports. Should it be? That’s open to debate but presently, it happens at every major University.

Reaction Score
Interesting rotation; Anna was the second sub.
They’ve more than made up for and made adjustments for Anna since Anna got hurt. I mean are you sitting Nika for Anna anymore? Evina does everything Anna did only better. And I’d rather see Aubrey and Edwards. I don’t see where Anna fits anymore.

Reaction Score
The Big East is so bad that it's buried UCONN to the bottom of being either the overall number 1 or number 2 in the country.
Geno doesn’t care, and neither do I. Only Duke and Syracuse hang banners for that stuff.

Reaction Score
They’ve more than made up for and made adjustments for Anna since Anna got hurt. I mean are you sitting Nika for Anna anymore? Evina does everything Anna did only better. And I’d rather see Aubrey and Edwards. I don’t see where Anna fits anymore.

Not arguing but you don't think the team needs outside shooting? Other than Paige you have been okay overall with the team's outside shooting?

Reaction Score
Too much to unpack here, so a few words:

• Who should have been playing instead. I was not alluding to this game. Some games you play with the hand you are dealt with. Maybe last night was one. But is every night one, every season?
  • PT garbage time comment: Having players play garbage time only is useless. Let them play in real games.
  • If you think I am not a fan of this team and every Uconn team before it, you are wrong.
  • If you think I am not a fan of Geno, you are right. But it is not Geno, it is Big Time College coaches many of whom are practically dictators to a bunch of young adults, whose only alternative if they don't like it is to start playing somewhere else in their Junior year. One of my kids experienced it 1st hand. Kids who go to the Elite events for HS players make a wide number of contacts with kids who went to a variety of top 10, even NCAA championship teams. When describing their coach to others the words the kids most often used are lunatic and idiot. These are guys. Maybe girls view it differently.
  • Uconn women's basketball has 8MM in expenses. Geno's salary is $2.4 (30%) of total expense.
You are the worst wcbb fan I’ve ever seen here. Go back under your rock.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn’t care, and neither do I. Only Duke and Syracuse hang banners for that stuff.

Sure Geno doesn't care how his team has performed game-in-and-game-out. Win some lose some, right? After all- some said that UCONN was an embarrassment after beating S.C., right? And Geno felt exactly like that, right?

Reaction Score
Every team needs a third option off the bench, particularly one who can play one through four. It was no accident that she was at the point with two minutes left.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Every team needs a third option off the bench, particularly one who can play one through four. It was no accident that she was at the point with two minutes left.
I agree but she looked really rusty on defense yesterday. She's probably got the first two rounds to get her legs back if she's going to help.

Reaction Score
GA has his work cut out for him on the rotation. I'm a huge AM fan, but she wasn't shooting very well before she got hurt. I do appreciate the rest of her game however and I think she is a terrific passer, very good ball handler, makes terrific decisions, good rebounder and is savvy defender and better than most think she is. If she could come in and spell Evina and knock down a three, that would be huge.

The problem GA has is that he wants to be able to fill the cup with points from the outside, but outside of PB, we are a very streaky and inconsistent shooting team. Game to game, GA doesn't know who will have it or who will not have it from the outside.

I do believe that we can get to the final 4 in a variety of ways....there is no one way or only GA's way to do it.

NM must stay in the starting lineup...she has been exceptional on the defensive end over the last 10 plus games. Her shooting is coming around to the point that teams must be talking about it in practice.

Agreed with EW and Edwards. I think Edwards is key and her minutes go to 25 plus. AG, probably goes down at this point, although I don't necessarily agree with that. But, if it is between Edwards and AG, I take Edwards every single time.

Reaction Score
Sure Geno doesn't care how his team has performed game-in-and-game-out. Win some lose some, right? After all- some said that UCONN was an embarrassment after beating S.C., right? And Geno felt exactly like that, right?
He doesn’t care where they are ranked, which was the topic... I thought.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t care where they are ranked, which was the topic... I thought.

First off I'm sorry -- I thought you were someone else.

Secondly, I feel when it comes to UCONN --where they are ranked and wins - they go hand-in-hand.

Isn't it true that there are some on here that feel the conference is soft so generally UCONN gets overrated on a Nat'l Level?

And some of us believe the conference is good enough - along with the usual Out Of Conference strong schedule which UCONN normally plays - so there would be a correlation with wins and ranking from those of us, correct?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom