Marquette annihilates Providence | The Boneyard

Marquette annihilates Providence

Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding why PC fans love Cooley. He is a nice guy, but what exactly has he done at PC? Duke and Watson are 2 of the better players they've had there in a while. If he can't get this team to do anything then I'd start to question what he's doing wrong.

Reaction Score
ExCuse, PeeCee, Dook, And Kensucky all lose on the same night. Life is good!
Common thread......coaches that are hanging on too long????

THC

Reaction Score
Common thread......coaches that are hanging on too long????
Coaches who've sold their souls to the devil, and the devil has come to cash in. Cooley seems okay, just not a very good coach.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding why PC fans love Cooley. He is a nice guy, but what exactly has he done at PC? Duke and Watson are 2 of the better players they've had there in a while. If he can't get this team to do anything then I'd start to question what he's doing wrong.
While Cooley has been at PC they've made the tourney 5 out of the 8 years. That's nothing to sneeze at for a team that's not a perennial power house. They love him there too.

Reaction Score
3 Ls in a row for PC but none bad. they wont be in trouble unless/until they get swept by someone not named nova or creighton. that's really the benchmark for success in this league. 1 or 2 games in the standings are probably going to separate the 3rd-7th teams come march.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PC loses in the most excruciating way too. Cant get the rebound off of a missed freethrow in the final minutes... twice! Oof

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was at Fairfield when Cooley had the best team in decades there, he let the players take over and run it straight into the ground. Sad.

Guy can recruit a little bit, but he’s not a great coach by any stretch.

Reaction Score
While Cooley has been at PC they've made the tourney 5 out of the 8 years. That's nothing to sneeze at for a team that's not a perennial power house. They love him there too.
And I think they have won a total of 1 NCAA tournament game under Cooley the entire time he has been there.

C

Chief00

George Blaney, whose son Brian coaches at PC, used to go to their early practices and games before he would head to FL. He would hand write up a few pages of notes. LOL anyone that knows George’s genius basketball mind - will tell you those notes would be brilliant but also brutal - pure go where the pain is analytical brilliance. I know Cooley always acknowledged the brilliance but he would joke can’t he say anything positive?
That was Calhoun/Blaney, with very different personalities, seeking basketball perfection. Cooley a good coach and a good man but maybe not as crazy obsessed.

Reaction Score
PC loses in the most excruciating way too. Cant get the rebound off of a missed freethrow in the final minutes... twice! Oof

I seem to remember that happening to us vs. USF . . . glass houses . . .

Reaction Score
I like PC chances in every BE game. PC will have the top 1-3 best player on the court in Duke and Watson. PC will return the favor to Marquette, Xavier(don't think they are that good, Duke drop 30 on them and could not be stopped) and def Creighton. This is a thing PC does, lose early, tough losses, but playing their best ball in mid February into March.....I don't know why and can't explain it. It has been like that for all his teams with the exception of the Dunn/Bentil team that reach as high as 10 in the rankings......FYI probably just need Bynum to come back to settle the PG position down......No one wants to see PC in the Garden

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
So Duke at 5-3 has to drop from the top 25 now, right? They dont have “bad losses” but they also dont have any “good wins”.

Reaction Score
Watched some of the first half. Garcia is very, very good. True three level scorer and excellent rebounder. Don't know how long he will be around, too talented to be in school more than two or, at most, three years.

Reaction Score
I like PC chances in every BE game. PC will have the top 1-3 best player on the court in Duke and Watson. PC will return the favor to Marquette, Xavier(don't think they are that good, Duke drop 30 on them and could not be stopped) and def Creighton. This is a thing PC does, lose early, tough losses, but playing their best ball in mid February into March.....I don't know why and can't explain it....
I'm not sure if you wrote "into March" rather than "in March" on purpose. The NCAA Tourney is in March and we all know what happens to PC in the tourney. ;)

Reaction Score
I like PC chances in every BE game. PC will have the top 1-3 best player on the court in Duke and Watson. PC will return the favor to Marquette, Xavier(don't think they are that good, Duke drop 30 on them and could not be stopped) and def Creighton. This is a thing PC does, lose early, tough losses, but playing their best ball in mid February into March.....I don't know why and can't explain it. It has been like that for all his teams with the exception of the Dunn/Bentil team that reach as high as 10 in the rankings......FYI probably just need Bynum to come back to settle the PG position down......No one wants to see PC in the Garden
I'll give you David Duke, but Nate Watson has been a major liability on the defensive end. This is their worst interior defense since 2017 and Watson is a big reason for that.

Overall, this is Providence's worst defense in a decade, according to Pomeroy.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Almost as bad as 5 straight turnovers, no shot attempts, to end the game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
are we related? that language makes me think so, and when ya add on that thc handle...
life is good, but don't ask to borrow some benjamins just yet. firstn, ya gotta repeat the opening of that big hat guy's gettysburg rant, ('tonight, we gonna score a new bud, and crush a forty'), after blazin a couple of bowls of ahhh, errr, ummm, clam chowda.
yeah, clam chowda, sure, that's what i meant by 'bowls.' or mebbe chili with hot sauce.
'ExCuse' is particularly sentient.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’ve got no problem with Cooley seems like a decent guy and a decent coach. Way better than boeheim.

Reaction Score
I'll give you David Duke, but Nate Watson has been a major liability on the defensive end. This is their worst interior defense since 2017 and Watson is a big reason for that.

Overall, this is Providence's worst defense in a decade, according to Pomeroy.
Watson makes it up on the offensive end

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom