March Recruiting Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

March Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not on SM. Is that like blocking spam calls?
When you Follow someone, it means you see all their posts and activity. It’s like Friend-ing someone on Facebook. Usually you Follow a friend or someone of interest, like a celebrity. I could follow you, for example, but you don’t follow me back, it means I’m not interested in what you have to say. It’s the social media version of making eye contact with someone

Reaction Score
I thought Madina Okot ran the floor well, with nice moves around the basket, and
made some crisp passes. More videos are available at FIBA AfroBasket, women, 2022.
Madina played against Jana's Egyptian team (Jana being in the USA with UCONN).
One game in this tournament she had 18 points, in another it appeared she had
foul trouble (I did not view the whole game). Interesting Madina was able to
help Kenya break the Egyptian full court press, but Egypt pulled away for
an easy win. I believe Kenya came in third place in this ' qualifying' tournament.
Her Birthday is August 23, 2004. Did she really win the 3-point shooting
contest at this tournament? I could not get an exact figure on her height. Some
say that she is 6' 5" some say 6'6". She is not a 'sting bean' to say the least.
Looking forward to hearing more about this young lady1

Reaction Score
I thought Madina Okot ran the floor well, with nice moves around the basket, and
made some crisp passes. More videos are available at FIBA AfroBasket, women, 2022.
Madina played against Jana's Egyptian team (Jana being in the USA with UCONN).
One game in this tournament she had 18 points, in another it appeared she had
foul trouble (I did not view the whole game). Interesting Madina was able to
help Kenya break the Egyptian full court press, but Egypt pulled away for
an easy win. I believe Kenya came in third place in this ' qualifying' tournament.
Her Birthday is August 23, 2004. Did she really win the 3-point shooting
contest at this tournament? I could not get an exact figure on her height. Some
say that she is 6' 5" some say 6'6". She is not a 'sting bean' to say the least.
Looking forward to hearing more about this young lady1
Jana could be an asset or a liability regarding the potential recruitment of Okot. The fact that they played against each other and both are from the African region, and Jana is already here and can relate her experiences would seem to give Uconn a possible edge.

On the other hand Okot could be a direct competitor to Jana for playing time if she came here, so that could be a negative. Jana might be considered a 5/4, but I think Okot will be viewed as more of a pure 5.

Reaction Score
Jana could be an asset or a liability regarding the potential recruitment of Okot. The fact that they played against each other and both are from the African region, and Jana is already here and can relate her experiences would seem to give Uconn a possible edge.

On the other hand Okot could be a direct competitor to Jana for playing time if she came here, so that could be a negative. Jana might be considered a 5/4, but I think Okot will be viewed as more of a pure 5.
It depends if she wants to start her first year. She’s going to be disappointed in that whether Jana is here or not. But teenagers don’t always understand this.

Reaction Score

While playing time is often a factor in recruiting, most come to UConn for much more. With the guards and wings that are committed, there is a great opportunity for a championship. The UConn brand is also worldwide and known for providing development on both the athletic and personal side. While we may not have said this 10 years ago, with 5 players on the past year's team (6 with Jana) from outside the US, Huskies have a proven track record of being able to quickly integrate foreign players into the program. Few teams have all these advantages.

Reaction Score

Or Jana and Okot could be twin towers, with some hi-lo passing action that boosts both of their stat sheets.

Reaction Score
Or Jana and Okot could be twin towers, with some hi-lo passing action that boosts both of their stat sheets.
Certainly possible after Aaliyah graduates. Since Jana and Ice are just starting and Ayanna will be in just her second year, I wonder between the possibility of Okot being a 2023 addition, and the 2024 post candidates like Strong, Carlton, Fournier at the 4 and Tac and Koval at the 5, how many bigs we can add thru the 2024 class?

I had presumed we were hoping for one from the 4 candidates, and one of the two 5 prospects in 2024. A true big C type like Okot might change the 2024 class recruiting dynamics both for the 5 and the 4 since both Ice and Jana could play the 5 or the 4. Bird in hand better than one in the bush, so if an Okot is still a 2023 possibility, I think you have to consider it.

Reaction Score
Certainly possible after Aaliyah graduates. Since Jana and Ice are just starting and Ayanna will be in just her second year, I wonder between the possibility of Okot being a 2023 addition, and the 2024 post candidates like Strong, Carlton, Fournier at the 4 and Tac and Koval at the 5, how many bigs we can add thru the 2024 class?

I had presumed we were hoping for one from the 4 candidates, and one of the two 5 prospects in 2024. A true big C type like Okot might change the 2024 class recruiting dynamics both for the 5 and the 4 since both Ice and Jana could play the 5 or the 4. Bird in hand better than one in the bush, so if an Okot is still a 2023 possibility, I think you have to consider it.
Geno's success rate recruiting upper-echelon bigs is not the greatest so UConn has to cast a fairly wide net..........the odds of getting Strong are not that high in my opinion so as my mother used to say "you get what you get and you don't get upset"........:)

Reaction Score
A Project!

Kate K. looks stronger and a more mature BB player than she was a year ago.
Height was a difference maker in this clip, but.... she had the steps... and the
determination. The UCONN story of our next BIG continues.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Every time I have seen her, she reminds me of Kalani Brown, succeeding because she is the biggest player on the court. I think she has a way to go before she can play top level WCBB.

Reaction Score
Jana and Kate have played against each other in one of the 3 on 3 international tournaments for players under 18 in the last year or so. I watched a video of that and remember being pretty impressed with both. Jana had more mobility and ball handling skills but Kate kept posting up and getting good position underneath. I think a video of that should still be out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it since.

Reaction Score
Every time I have seen her, she reminds me of Kalani Brown, succeeding because she is the biggest player on the court. I think she has a way to go before she can play top level WCBB.
Kim Mulkey won a national championship with Kalani Brown. Opponents often used double teams on Brown.

Kate Koval reportedly has a high basketball IQ and she is a prolific scorer. I think that Geno, Chris Dailey, and Jamelle Elliott could coach her up to be a great college player.

UConnCat said:
Not sure what evidence there is that UConn is recruiting her.
@Sluconn Husky wrote earlier this month that Kate Koval is a UConn recruiting POI. I trust his information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom