March lineup | The Boneyard

March lineup

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ok friends and neighbors, its time to get serious. As Geno has said, now is the time to get ready for March. Its time to not to question who is playing and who is not. Every post season Geno uses 7 players no matter how many he has on the bench. Paige, CW,EW,Nika, and ONO are the starters until the season ends. AE and AG are the players off the bench. Period. Or is it? Even at the end of a blowout, we see very few players other than those 7 on the floor. Actually it would rise to 8 if Anna comes back. Regardless, he is getting the team ready for March. But, are there other options? I think there should be 2 more options. In the paint we have 2 pretty reliable players, as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Against a team like Stanford or Tennessee he may opt to start both at the same time. If they do get into trouble, Paith is the answer to guard the tin. She may be unpolished, but she could serve very valuable minutes while our main horses are on the bench. I think that is why Geno is giving her minutes later in the game. Makes sense to me. Secondly, lets be honest, out 3Pt shooting leaves a lot to be desired. We are streaky, and if we get into a situation that we can't make anything, that is where Saylor comes in. Again, unpolished and inexperienced. At that point, we don't need a really skilled player or one with experience for that matter. We need someone who can knock them down, and isn't AFRAID to SHOOT. That's why she is getting minutes instead of Mir and Autumn. Besides using the top 7 ( or 8 ), he is creating an emergency plan if any of these scenarios crop up. Geno is a genius, but can he be evolving? Nothing is certain on this years team, and as far as I'm concerned, the more options we have, as unlikely as it may, we will be better off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your assessment that Geno will use 7 players in March, or 8 if Anna is back, is likely correct. Beyond that, the only way Mir, Piath or Saylor would be given meaningful minutes would be if several players get into serious foul trouble and/or a regular rotation player is injured.

In the last few conference games including the conference tournament, Geno really can’t afford to give additional PT to the “end of the bench” players. He needs those 7/8 regular rotation players to tighten up their execution in all phases of the game in preparation for the Big Dance.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If either enter an NCAA game before the 4th q , it means things are going horrifically badly.
Like I said, EMERGENCY situation. But keeping them ready may give them confidence if the time comes.

Reaction Score
Ok friends and neighbors, its time to get serious. As Geno has said, now is the time to get ready for March. Its time to not to question who is playing and who is not. Every post season Geno uses 7 players no matter how many he has on the bench. Paige, CW,EW,Nika, and ONO are the starters until the season ends. AE and AG are the players off the bench. Period. Or is it? Even at the end of a blowout, we see very few players other than those 7 on the floor. Actually it would rise to 8 if Anna comes back. Regardless, he is getting the team ready for March. But, are there other options? I think there should be 2 more options. In the paint we have 2 pretty reliable players, as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Against a team like Stanford or Tennessee he may opt to start both at the same time. If they do get into trouble, Paith is the answer to guard the tin. She may be unpolished, but she could serve very valuable minutes while our main horses are on the bench. I think that is why Geno is giving her minutes later in the game. Makes sense to me. Secondly, lets be honest, out 3Pt shooting leaves a lot to be desired. We are streaky, and if we get into a situation that we can't make anything, that is where Saylor comes in. Again, unpolished and inexperienced. At that point, we don't need a really skilled player or one with experience for that matter. We need someone who can knock them down, and isn't AFRAID to SHOOT. That's why she is getting minutes instead of Mir and Autumn. Besides using the top 7 ( or 8 ), he is creating an emergency plan if any of these scenarios crop up. Geno is a genius, but can he be evolving? Nothing is certain on this years team, and as far as I'm concerned, the more options we have, as unlikely as it may, we will be better off.
I agree with Piath. I wish she would get more minutes. It may be that she is not well rounded like GA likes..she can't shoot maybe past 3 feet and maybe she can't pass the ball either. But, her size and athleticism and 5 fouls to give, could give us some valuable minutes (5-10) and it allows us to keep AE at the 4.

I have not seen anything out of Saylor that makes me think she will be a contributor. Still early days though.....GA is giving her 4 or so lately...up from two. Maybe he gives her a full quarter here soon....

I was optimistic about Saylor in the beginning, but have waned on it a bit...but it is still early days...If she ever comes in and knocks down a couple 3s, everything could change after that.

Reaction Score
I agree with Piath. I wish she would get more minutes. It may be that she is not well rounded like GA likes..she can't shoot maybe past 3 feet and maybe she can't pass the ball either. But, her size and athleticism and 5 fouls to give, could give us some valuable minutes (5-10) and it allows us to keep AE at the 4.

I have not seen anything out of Saylor that makes me think she will be a contributor. Still early days though.....GA is giving her 4 or so lately...up from two. Maybe he gives her a full quarter here soon....

I was optimistic about Saylor in the beginning, but have waned on it a bit...but it is still early days...If she ever comes in and knocks down a couple 3s, everything could change after that.
Agree with you on Saylor. She looks like a solid player, but I would've thought she could knock down more open looks. Defensively she looks better, offensively not so much. Hope she can gain some confidence and potentially give us another weapon should one of our guards be really struggling with their shot and Anna is still out.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
So what happens if Saylor and Mir start practicing at the level that pleases the coaches and earns their trust? It is said a player earns playing time by how they play in practice. I know Mir has had plenty of time to earn time but she just might be getting it now.

Reaction Score
Your assessment that Geno will use 7 players in March, or 8 if Anna is back, is likely correct. Beyond that, the only way Mir, Piath or Saylor would be given meaningful minutes would be if several players get into serious foul trouble and/or a regular rotation player is injured.

In the last few conference games including the conference tournament, Geno really can’t afford to give additional PT to the “end of the bench” players. He needs those 7/8 regular rotation players to tighten up their execution in all phases of the game in preparation for the Big Dance.
Agree with all of this. The March participants have already been determined. The only questions are how the top 8 with Anna or the top 7 without her are used. They could use more three point shooting against some teams. That would probably mean more Anna and less Nika, a tough decision. They also may have to abandon the four guard approach against teams with multiple talented bigs, and use Aaliyah more. That would come at the expense of one of those four guards, another tough decision.

In the Big East and the first couple of rounds of the tournament I suspect the starting lineup and rotation will be the same, adding just Anna if healthy. As we face teams that could beat us, the decision to use mostly Nika, Anna and Aaliyah differently will potentially come into play, at least that is how I see it.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on Saylor. She looks like a solid player, but I would've thought she could knock down more open looks. Defensively she looks better, offensively not so much. Hope she can gain some confidence and potentially give us another weapon should one of our guards be really struggling with their shot and Anna is still out.
She seems to be in a rush to get her shot off. Give her another 2-3 weeks. Who knows. When you have the great passers we do, it is a shooter's dream!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
All of February we have been watching the NCAA rotation: Liv, CW, Buckets, "E," Nika, Aaliyah, and Aubrey pending Anna's possible return.

Reaction Score
Very well said .. good thinking!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
we've been waiting all season for the team -- with all these newcomers -- to gel, and now that it appears to be happening you want to jigger with it? are you nuts? geez!

one of the biggest factors in the post-razorback surge has been the refinement of the defense. that i link largely to the presence of nika -- her infusion of intensity and enthusiasm. that's led to the more recent swarming, switching defense that ALL teams are going to find very difficult to cope with. and it requires incredible communication and players who are totally "in sync." it's taken months to develop. that's why you don't go messing around with it. it's a finely tuned machine that's finally going pretty smoothly. you don't experiment now.

it's also why an injury or foul trouble or an off night is a danger to uconn now vs. a handful of teams playing their best games (or if geno starts fiddling around with line-ups now -- which of course he won't)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno is a genius, but can he be evolving?
Uh. Well, except theologically there may be nothing higher than a "genius." But given that he's at least a genius, we best leave the decision making to him. Don'cha think?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom