March 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

March 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just watched it! Really interesting watch if anyone’s interested it’s up on youtube (34:00 starts talking about recruiting)
Said he has two kids that he can’t say who they are yet and then 1 more maybe 2 more coming. Stated kids are going to have a tough time seeing the court. Looks like we have a good chance of another strong class.
I obviously have no problem with GA picking up whatever talent he can. But I am a little surprised that after the '21 class of 4 on top of a full house, he'd take another 3-4 in '22. That's going to take a lot of maneuvering.

Reaction Score
I obviously have no problem with GA picking up whatever talent he can. But I am a little surprised that after the '21 class of 4 on top of a full house, he'd take another 3-4 in '22. That's going to take a lot of maneuvering.
I definitely agree that it’ll be tough to manage but after a season or two of having not enough talent, I think everyone would rather too much. To me best case scenario we have ICE and one other top recruit. Now that players can transfer with no consequences I think that really changes the ball game for everyone but who knows

Reaction Score
I am not surprised at Geno going after another top 10 talent like Patterson to go with Brady, but a class with 3-4 in 22 seems like overkill to me. His reaction seems to be bring it on, but I wonder how some of these recruiting discussions go. I know his standard line is nobody is guaranteed minutes or being a starter, but if a player asks for his realistic assessment, what can he tell them?

Can he tell a third of the roster they might get garbage minutes in a 40 point blowout? Maybe even if some were a top 30 if not top 10 recruit. If Evina returns that is what he is looking at for next year. Even that assessment generously assumes that with all this talent, Geno expands his rotation to 10 from 8, something he has rarely been willing to do. If he stuck with a 7-8 player rotation, roughly half the roster could get garbage minutes, with only Autumn and Piath not being a top 30 recruit or better

Without getting into the "T" word speculation, if we get Patterson to go with Brady we are at 14 when they come aboard, a similar numbers crunch with top talent even if nobody else was was added from the 22 class. When the roster is this loaded and deep I don't think there is any good reason to recruit beyond the top ten, unless that player is comfortable with the probability of never getting meaning-full minutes.

Many would disagree, but I hope Geno presses more, pushes the pace more, and by doing so justifies going much deeper in the rotation next year. I suspect the gap between our second unit and other team's reserves will be bigger than our edge over most team's starters. It will be big in both cases of course, but if that is true, pressing which wears out both teams starters means because of fatigue, more of the game becomes a battle of the benches which could easily increase the ultimate margin of victory, and give utility to more of the roster. Not expecting it to happen, but rooting for it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Between this year and next year 3 will be leaving, so three new recruits would simply continue next years roster size.

Reaction Score
Between this year and next year 3 will be leaving, so three new recruits would simply continue next years roster size.
Yes, I realize that's the net effect, I'm more thinking of how he finds PT for most of them. A nice problem to have.

Reaction Score
Yes, I realize that's the net effect, I'm more thinking of how he finds PT for most of them. A nice problem to have.

Def is. Rather this problem than the one he had after Stewie and all graduated.

Reaction Score
Def is. Rather this problem than the one he had after Stewie and all graduated.
I agree. I think after hearing Geno talk candidly about the recruiting mishaps of a couple of years after the Stewie class, he is no longer taking any chances and he is stacking the chips high and let them fall where they may. There is also the change in transfer rule so I think it's great to see Geno adjusting and going full throttle on the recruiting strategy.

I'm not well versed in the '22, '23, '24 classes, so others can opine on which class seems to be stronger and which players we should focus on. I believe ADelRosario is someone of high interest for me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. I think after hearing Geno talk candidly about the recruiting mishaps of a couple of years after the Stewie class, he is no longer taking any chances and he is stacking the chips high and let them fall where they may. There is also the change in transfer rule so I think it's great to see Geno adjusting and going full throttle on the recruiting strategy.

I'm not well versed in the '22, '23, '24 classes, so others can opine on which class seems to be stronger and which players we should focus on. I believe ADelRosario is someone of high interest for me.
You don't have to be too well versed in recruiting to know this:
Adding Paige, Azzi, Brady, and hopefully DelRosario in consecutive years equals the foundation for multiple championships. The addition of quality players such as Aliyah Edwards, Amari, Saylor, Caroline and hopefully Patterson is the foundation of another Dynasty.

Reaction Score
I am not surprised at Geno going after another top 10 talent like Patterson to go with Brady, but a class with 3-4 in 22 seems like overkill to me. His reaction seems to be bring it on, but I wonder how some of these recruiting discussions go. I know his standard line is nobody is guaranteed minutes or being a starter, but if a player asks for his realistic assessment, what can he tell them?

Can he tell a third of the roster they might get garbage minutes in a 40 point blowout? Maybe even if some were a top 30 if not top 10 recruit. If Evina returns that is what he is looking at for next year. Even that assessment generously assumes that with all this talent, Geno expands his rotation to 10 from 8, something he has rarely been willing to do. If he stuck with a 7-8 player rotation, roughly half the roster could get garbage minutes, with only Autumn and Piath not being a top 30 recruit or better

Without getting into the "T" word speculation, if we get Patterson to go with Brady we are at 14 when they come aboard, a similar numbers crunch with top talent even if nobody else was was added from the 22 class. When the roster is this loaded and deep I don't think there is any good reason to recruit beyond the top ten, unless that player is comfortable with the probability of never getting meaning-full minutes.

Many would disagree, but I hope Geno presses more, pushes the pace more, and by doing so justifies going much deeper in the rotation next year. I suspect the gap between our second unit and other team's reserves will be bigger than our edge over most team's starters. It will be big in both cases of course, but if that is true, pressing which wears out both teams starters means because of fatigue, more of the game becomes a battle of the benches which could easily increase the ultimate margin of victory, and give utility to more of the roster. Not expecting it to happen, but rooting for it.
With Geno it has always been an emphasis on defense and having the depth to press more feeds into a greater defense. That is one reason I think he has changed his approach to the numbers of players he wants for prime moments. It wasn’t long ago he said he couldn’t trust beyond 6 players. When that happens, injuries and foul trouble can become an Achilles heel. I think we had talent enough in 5-6 players to win NC in the past few years, but foul trouble forced some of those best players to sit at crucial times, late in games.

Reaction Score

I wonder how many if any of the current players will stay the extra year.............that will make a major difference in the recruiting numbers going forward...........

Reaction Score
I wonder how many if any of the current players will stay the extra year.............that will make a major difference in the recruiting numbers going forward...........
I'm guessing not many. Anyone will professional aspirations, WNBA or abroad will probably want to move on, their earning careers are short. On the other hand a player who does not entertain those dreams, might stay and play another year while pursuing a graduate degree. That might make sense to a number of players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Honestly - Saylor is the only one I think will stay unless a player would miss a year to injury. I think 4 years is all anyone really wants to play college ball, and when the NCAA made the rule no one knew if they were going to get 15 games played this year - with 25+ it is a short but full season.

Reaction Score
I originally thought it would be between ND and Louisville, but now after seeing Geno's comments regarding the '22 class I'm thinking she's coming to Storrs. Looking forward to the 20th...fingers crossed!
I'm now also thinking you might be right.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't believe Geno said anything about the timing of the commit, so it could be someone who has a totally different timeline for announcing - their birthday on June __, July 4th weekend, who knows.

Reaction Score
I think the second recruit is 6'4 Maya Nnaji, # 7 on Espn Class of 22. She s from Hopkins Minn. H. S. - Paige's H.S.
We just took two 6'2 wings. Don't think we need another in this class.

Reaction Score
I think the second recruit is 6'4 Maya Nnaji, # 7 on Espn Class of 22. She s from Hopkins Minn. H. S. - Paige's H.S.
We just took two 6'2 wings. Don't think we need another in this class.
Uconn is not on the list that she put out.

Reaction Score
Don't believe Geno said anything about the timing of the commit, so it could be someone who has a totally different timeline for announcing - their birthday on June __, July 4th weekend, who knows.
Another thread quoted Geno as saying a possible commitment on Saturday. Not too long to wait to find out - 5:30 on Saturday.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I also hope the second commit is Patterson. You think ND Posters hate UCONN now just think what would happen if we landed Patterson!
Connboy77, I agree with you 100%. I want Patterson too. I don't think it's possible to LV fans to hate us anymore than they already do. If we do get Patterson, I want to play ND all 4 years she's here so they can see what they missed out on, and lament about what might have been. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger