March 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

March 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If AP reads the Bench I would think her top 5 just became top 4. I would be very surprised if any top recruit selects ND after reading about the chaos on the team.
The chaos is not confined to the team. McGraw’s Bench has become as combative as VolNation, with numerous ND fans criticizing the new HC for everything from disrespecting former ND AC Cunningham, losing 3 players to the transfer portal to her decision not to compete in the WNIT.

The decision to opt out of the WNIT is particularly vexing. One ND fan pointed out the hypocrisy of the HC’s position. She was perfectly willing to compete in the NCAA’s, but cited “injury concerns” as a justification for opting out of the WNIT.

Reaction Score
I live in Wyoming lol, so I have absolutely zero inside information. It's just a gut feeling. I could see her at UConn too, I guess if I squinted really hard and looked from far away.
I’m not sure why she would go to a school where the player she most closely resembles, the best post in the country, was essentially an afterthought for virtually the entire season. This player had to watch the guards on the team repeatedly get the lions share of the shots (while shooting woeful percentages) while she (a 60% shooter) rarely saw an entry pass into the post. Boston had games of 4 total shots at least twice! Finally, at the end of the season, the coach announced that they should be focusing more on their post play! Not sure that is the best way to attract great post players but hey, that’s just me.

Reaction Score
If AP reads the Bench I would think her top 5 just became top 4. I would be very surprised if any top recruit selects ND after reading about the chaos on the team.
You aren't kidding. Absolute craziness!
website is hard to navigate on mobile, can someone fill me in? What’s up with ND?

Reaction Score
I also hope the second commit is Patterson. You think ND Posters hate UCONN now just think what would happen if we landed Patterson!
She’s pretty low key I bet she privately committed and is ready to announce her decision. It’s funny right after Geno told us there’s 2 committed players for class “23”with a smile.

Reaction Score
She’s pretty low key I bet she privately committed and is ready to announce her decision. It’s funny right after Geno told us there’s 2 committed players for class “23”with a smile.
since we really have no way of knowing who Geno was talking about I hope nobody is too disappointed if it turns out to be somebody else.......:oops:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
since we really have no way of knowing who Geno was talking about I hope nobody is too disappointed if it turns out to be somebody else.......:oops:
But if it isn't AP, can we just be really disappointed that she committed somewhere else?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Patterson’s skill set similar to Aubreys at all?
Similar but Patterson give you more of just about everything important.
More height.
More physical.
More explosively athletic.
More position versatility ability to play 3,4 or 5 in a pinch.
More scoring variety post, mid range, deep.
More post defense.
More like Aliyah Edwards than Aubrey IMO.

Reaction Score
But if it isn't AP, can we just be really disappointed that she committed somewhere else?
yes you have my complete permission to be disappointed but I guess I'll reserve mine until I know who UConn ends up with if she's not the mystery commitment .................

Reaction Score
website is hard to navigate on mobile, can someone fill me in? What’s up with ND?

The assistant coach was fired but Ivey told the team she left for another opportunity. The team is divided. Ivey doesn’t communicate with some of the team. Doesn’t treat everyone the same. Asked each player how they felt about social injustice. If she didn’t like your answer you didn’t play.

Don’t know what is true but a couple posters said they had the inside scoop

Reaction Score
The assistant coach was fired but Ivey told the team she left for another opportunity. The team is divided. Ivey doesn’t communicate with some of the team. Doesn’t treat everyone the same. Asked each player how they felt about social injustice. If she didn’t like your answer you didn’t play.

Don’t know what is true but a couple posters said they had the inside scoop
It's unclear to me why I coach would be questioning a player about a political issue............if the players have an issue they agree on highlighting that's a different matter.......

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It seemed like overkill to me to bring in 3-4 new recruits in the next three years. I've already posted that in the last couple of weeks. Too many people mean transfers, and Geno doesn't get the choice of who goes and stays. Now I just got a perspective of maybe what he is doing. Why do we have six freshmen on our team? We have 4 upperclassmen on this years team. Transfers, leaving early, injuries, we don't know what can happen. Maybe he wants to ensure that the cabinet will never be empty again. By bringing in as many top recruits as he can, he knows that the more he can get here, the more that will stay. He may think he can afford to lose a couple, as long as he has enough to ensure that he doesn't have to deal again with a mostly inexperienced and very young team. He lucked out this year with the very good talent that we have. He has never to my knowledge carried this many players, but now he realizes that he doesn't have a monopoly on the best players, and now with this no sit out transfer business he may be a little worried about what is going to happen to the game going forward.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually AP is bigger, stronger, better all around offensively, and more physical defensively inside. IMO, she's most comparable to Edwards in that she appears to enjoy moving opponents around and out of the way. ;)
:eek: We have to start comparing notes before we post.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am always wary of the 'inside scoop' posters on fan sites. I don't recall seeing anything in any media reporting, so could it just be a tempest brewing in the fan community on the Bench?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bald Husky - 1999-2001 was a large roster. Recruiting is also a crap shoot to some degree and you never know who will commit. When you really like players and they seem really interested it is hard to pass them over, especially when you have no idea if anyone will be interested or interesting the next year. And until the paper is signed, things can change in a minute, and even after it is signed (see EDD.)

And yeah, the WCBB landscape has changed significantly in terms of transfers even before the new NCAA no sit-out year change. The number and quality of transfers in the last 10 years has exploded compared to earlier. And coaches have to be aware of it, both as an exit route they didn't need to really plan for before, but also as another route to fill holes in a roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am always wary of the 'inside scoop' posters on fan sites. I don't recall seeing anything in any media reporting, so could it just be a tempest brewing in the fan community on the Bench?
Agree with your take on so-called “inside scoop.” But some of the complaints on the Bench are publicly known: Cunningham was not retained by Ivey, Ivey’s decision to opt out of the WNIT and 3 ND players in the transfer portal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with your take on so-called “inside scoop.” But some of the complaints on the Bench are publicly known: Cunningham was not retained by Ivey, Ivey’s decision to opt out of the WNIT and 3 ND players in the transfer portal.
Thanks. Had not seen the three transfer portal players

Edit: Not like the heart of the team. Three is a little unusual but not surprising based on contribution. I wouldn't think it was a sign of team dissension as much as perhaps mistakes in recruiting?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seemed like overkill to me to bring in 3-4 new recruits in the next three years. I've already posted that in the last couple of weeks. Too many people mean transfers, and Geno doesn't get the choice of who goes and stays. Now I just got a perspective of maybe what he is doing. Why do we have six freshmen on our team? We have 4 upperclassmen on this years team. Transfers, leaving early, injuries, we don't know what can happen. Maybe he wants to ensure that the cabinet will never be empty again. By bringing in as many top recruits as he can, he knows that the more he can get here, the more that will stay. He may think he can afford to lose a couple, as long as he has enough to ensure that he doesn't have to deal again with a mostly inexperienced and very young team. He lucked out this year with the very good talent that we have. He has never to my knowledge carried this many players, but now he realizes that he doesn't have a monopoly on the best players, and now with this no sit out transfer business he may be a little worried about what is going to happen to the game going forward.
I also believe that if a Patterson chooses to come along with Brady than the possible third and fourth recruit might be a European player excited to just come to UConn and maybe an Irwin/Bent type great teammate player to round out the team.

I'm looking forward to going back to the full roster days where there were several players who just worked really hard and were happy to be there to develop their game.

Reaction Score
Never had a great feeling of Ivey. I am really enjoying their demise. I do think she will get them back to respectability but I’m not sure how soon. Honestly no lie, I never recovered from the 1999 semi final loss to them. Hated them ever since.

Reaction Score
Never had a great feeling of Ivey. I am really enjoying their demise. I do think she will get them back to respectability but I’m not sure how soon. Honestly no lie, I never recovered from the 1999 semi final loss to them. Hated them ever since.

I think you mean 2001??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger