2021 Recruiting: - Mac Etienne | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Mac Etienne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't look like UConn is really recruiting him any more. Probably makes sense after getting Sanogo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
no room with Sanogo in 2020 and Clingan in 2022. we need guards!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
no room with Sanogo in 2021 and Clingan in 2022. we need guards!

Sanogo is 2020 and Clingan isn't a sure thing. We could definitely use Etienne and in a 4 man class, we should probably take one 4/5. BUT, my guess is that after we got Sanogo, and Etienne knows we are in good shape with Clingan...his interest level probably dropped significantly and Hurley was honest with him as to where he would fit with the roster (most likely more of a 3rd big/backup type).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Assuming we truly aren't recruiting him anymore (and it's not the other way around), damn it feels good to be back to having to stop recruiting high level recruits because we don't have room/are going after other higher level guys. Having said that, would've loved to get Etienne.

Clingan would be an insane get though.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is 2020 and Clingan isn't a sure thing. We could definitely use Etienne and in a 4 man class, we should probably take one 4/5. BUT, my guess is that after we got Sanogo, and Etienne knows we are in good shape with Clingan...his interest level probably dropped significantly and Hurley was honest with him as to where he would fit with the roster (most likely more of a 3rd big/backup type).

Clingan isn’t a sure thing but you can almost count him out if we pick up Mac. Clingan will have almost every offer out there. Why would he come to UConn when Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Mac were all the roster? I’m typically not a big fan of passing up decent guys in hopes of landing something great, but Clingan might be the exception.

Reaction Score
Clingan isn’t a sure thing but you can almost count him out if we pick up Mac. Clingan will have almost every offer out there. Why would he come to UConn when Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Mac were all the roster? I’m typically not a big fan of passing up decent guys in hopes of landing something great, but Clingan might be the exception.

If Clingan is as good as advertised and wants to come to UConn room will be made. Things seem to sort themselves out in those situations

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm sure the staff would take Mac if he was still interested. We don't even know how good Clingan is.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley and Co. is going to be cashing in all their chips on Donovan.

Attention will be shifting towards big time guard talent.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
With that kind of logic we don't know how good any recruit is.
A senior vs a sophomore who hasn't played any good competition. I'd say there's a difference, but obviously you take either if they want to commit.

Reaction Score
A senior vs a sophomore who hasn't played any good competition. I'd say there's a difference, but obviously you take either if they want to commit.
You mean a junior who put up solid numbers against good competition vs. a sophomore who put up monster numbers against weak competition?

The staff wants Clingan more, so do I.

Reaction Score
If Etienne is focused on playing center then I could see a lack of mutual interest. I don't see him as a great center prospect in the first place. His bulk and athleticism are like Carlton, when I see him he's often missing his first shot in the low post around the basket, and, he's not a rim protector. On the other hand I've seen him as the type of able passer in the post that you can play through, and, he has a great strength being able to step out and shoot better than our other bigs. He also contributes well trying to trap the other team's ball handlers in the open court. I think he could easily be on the court at the 4 spot with Sanogo or Ferguson or Clingan at the 5, and be effective. (With respect to Clingan playing weak competition, his interviews make it perfectly clear he has done well against quality AAU prospects. He and his coaches don't see him as untested.) I don't see Mac as an absolutely critical recruit, but I hope it is not over between us and Mac.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good move for him.

Still would like to lock him up. Not sold on Javonte Brown Ferguson yet. But the path to playing time is better elsewhere ultimately
*whispers* Me neither.

Reaction Score
Still would like to lock him up. Not sold on Javonte Brown Ferguson yet. But the path to playing time is better elsewhere ultimately
anyone care to attempt a PT breakdown if we have: springs/etienne/sanogo/clingan/brown on the roster in '22?

i'm assuming/hoping akok and sanogo go pro somewhere after their junior seasons which i think is realistic.

but the only way i see this working is if brown is still getting garbage time minutes as a junior which would be really disappointing for a 7 footer that was recruited by kansas. springs and etienne would also have to exclusively play PF in '22 which would be... interesting

edit- ok i'll give it a shot

'22 PF: springs (20)- etienne (20)
'22 C: sanogo (25)- clingan (10)- brown (5)???

Last edited:
Reactions: RON
Reaction Score
anyone care to attempt a PT breakdown if we have: springs/etienne/sanogo/clingan/brown on the roster in '22?

i'm assuming/hoping akok and sanogo go pro somewhere after their junior seasons which i think is realistic.

but the only way i see this working is if brown is still getting garbage time minutes as a junior which would be really disappointing for a 7 footer that was recruited by kansas. springs and etienne would also have to exclusively play PF in '22 which would be... interesting

I don't think it works unless Sanogo is going pro after 2 years. Just too many bodies to find minutes for all, would be a struggle in 2021 even without Clingan added yet

Didn't even try '22 but for 2021 you can probably squeeze Etienne in taking some of Springs/Ferguson's minutes but it gets pretty crowded

PF: Akok (20), Springs (10), Martin (10)
C: Sanogo (25), Javonte Brown Ferguson (10), Springs (5)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

‘21
PF: Akok (30), Springs (10)
C: Sanogo (25), Javonte (10), Springs (5)

2022 is tough. I’d assume either Sanogo or Akok will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom