2021 Recruiting: - Mac Etienne updates his recruitment | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Mac Etienne updates his recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good teams
I would take him in a heartbeat

Teams like Kentucky and Duke have highly rated players at all positions. Many top notch recruits are not deterred by the competition because they want to play against other skilled players at the same position to sharpen their skills.

On the other hand, when a weakened team is trying to rebuild, sometimes the appeal of restarting a program might appeal to a local star, as with the example of Chris Smith. I met him maybe 10 years ago, and he was constantly thanked for his contribution to UConn's resurgence.

If Etienne wants to play PF and there is an opening, I would say recruit him. No harm in doing that.

Actually, UConn this year, might fit into the category in the opening paragraph with the plethora of talent being an incentive for a skilled player at a loaded position.

Reaction Score
why not... if he’s a late signee and we have a spot at the 4/5 open... things change.

Since when do we have a spot at the 4/5? We are loaded if not overloaded there...

He's not coming here.

Reaction Score
Yeah I can't see this happening, there's already a logjam at the 5. And even if we pretend he's a 4 there's not room there either

Reaction Score
in 2021 we got:
a PG
a Wing
a PF
we can't sign a C b/c of clingan
that leaves either a CG or another Wing for the 4th scholly

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DH showed his hand with Samson recruitment and then committing... Unless there is unanticipated roster turnover at the 4/5.. I think this ship has sailed.. He will be a great player in college and maybe he's looking for DC to make his decision within Mac's timeframe.. The fact that so many coaches have been in recent contact with him suggests that he's letting them know he's still in play .. I don't see him as a "bench" player in college..

Last edited:

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Remember not to long ago when we were all wondering which big we might be able to get and now we're talking about a log jam of bigs. We got Cardwell'ed and most freaked about who would fill the hole & now we wouldn't even want the kid if he wanted to come.
Gotta love Hurley & his staff for the job they've done, amazing.
Could we have imagined not having room for a kid like Mac a year ago, discussing how the stable is full.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Remember not to long ago when we were all wondering which big we might be able to get and now we're talking about a log jam of bigs. We got Cardwell'ed and most freaked about who would fill the hole & now we wouldn't even want the kid if he wanted to come.
Could we have imagined not having room for a kid like Mac a year ago, discussing how the stable is full.
This always gets me, we were hoping for one stable big option for the last several years. How the staff turned that around so quickly, is tremendous work.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sanogo really changed the whole picture. That commit was massive.

Reaction Score
He can want to play point guard if he wants to. It ain't happening. Any coach is lying if they feed him that line

You mean like Roscoe Smith? He bought Dave Rice's promise that he'd play him at small forward............not.

I actually watched some of his games to see how he'd work out as a small forward, and see if his shooting had improved, but there he was back at power forward and leading the country in rebounding. He wasted a year sitting out at UNLV, then had an OK year before declaring for the draft and going undrafted.

He's bounced around a number of countries, seemingly proving he didn't have the skills/ability to make it in the NBA. Too bad because he always seemed like a nice kid but it's a lesson for others. Leave when ready based on your ability and what your coach learns from his contacts/scouts, not your wishes and dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom