LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down | Page 4 | The Boneyard

LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was the sad thing about it. We stayed stuck on mediocrity when we had everything possible to be up there with the rest. I just hope we don't settle on this hire. I'm not expecting a Walz or a Mulkey type hire. But someone experienced, young, and can recruit.
Jeff walls is a candidate, because he is a candidate for every head-coaching position, it seems. Does he even unpack his bags? Or maybe he just keeps them in a locker down at the bus depot, you know, just in case.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen GG mentioned but if she wants to get back to coaching a P5 team, this would be huge for her.

Reaction Score
Jolette Law would be an uninspiring hire. Why should she get a better job than Illinois after failing badly there? I would like to see her win as a head coach at a mid major to prove she has learned from Illinois mistakes before hiring her at a big job like LSU. Dawn is big personality, huge name, USA coach. The kids are going there to play for Dawn and I don't assume its Law that is the reason they are getting all these players. If Law left they could hire almost any other solid assistant and the recruiting would be the same, so how much do you attribute just
Jolette Law would be an uninspiring hire. Why should she get a better job than Illinois after failing badly there? I would like to see her win as a head coach at a mid major to prove she has learned from Illinois mistakes before hiring her at a big job like LSU. Dawn is big personality, huge name, USA coach. The kids are going there to play for Dawn and I don't assume its Law that is the reason they are getting all these players. If Law left they could hire almost any other solid assistant and the recruiting would be the same, so how much do you attribute just to Law?
as a recruiter. Don’t think you give law enough credit

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Jolette Law would be an uninspiring hire. Why should she get a better job than Illinois after failing badly there? I would like to see her win as a head coach at a mid major to prove she has learned from Illinois mistakes before hiring her at a big job like LSU. Dawn is big personality, huge name, USA coach. The kids are going there to play for Dawn and I don't assume its Law that is the reason they are getting all these players. If Law left they could hire almost any other solid assistant and the recruiting would be the same, so how much do you attribute just to Law?
Well Vic Schaefer did fail at Stephen F Austin when he got that gig. Went back with Gary Blair, won a NCAA Title, got the MSU job and the rest
Is history. I am not saying Jolette would replicate that but improvement does happen.

Reaction Score
Well Vic Schaefer did fail at Stephen F Austin when he got that gig. Went back with Gary Blair, won a NCAA Title, got the MSU job and the rest
Is history. I am not saying Jolette would replicate that but improvement does happen.
Sam Houston st not SFA

Reaction Score
Law spearheaded the boston, cooke, beal, amihere class before dawn took over usa basketball...she is one of if not the best recruiters in the nation...however I do see your point

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Law is from SC. Might be content where she is.
If GG was a bad fit at TX why would even more southern LSU be any better?
Well GG managed to get Alana Beard out of LA. :p

Reaction Score

it's hard to say.

Law arrived and then there were two #1 classes.

there was a national title about the same time so separating out what part is Law of any is tough but she gave UT some big classes too.

Reaction Score
Law moved to SC, at least in part, because she grew up in South Carolina and wanted to go home. If she ever tries to be a head coach again it would likely be somewhere closer to there than LSU.

I would say there is a 0.1% chance Mulkey goes to LSU. She's built Baylor with her own hands and it's a fantastic school where she has as many resources as she wishes. I don't think she would give that up at this stage of her life.

LSU has the potential to be a very attractive job if resources are put into the program. Their attendance was great under Chatman and they were on the cusp of being one of the truly great programs. Chancellor was a terrific coach in his day but was well past his prime when he came back to college and could only muster a few decent years. The Nikki years have been less than successful but just not terrible enough for her to hang around. Now we all get to see if LSU is serious about the sport or if they plan to just tread water again.

Reaction Score
LSU has the potential to be a very attractive job if resources are put into the program. Their attendance was great under Chatman and they were on the cusp of being one of the truly great programs. Chancellor was a terrific coach in his day but was well past his prime when he came back to college and could only muster a few decent years. The Nikki years have been less than successful but just not terrible enough for her to hang around. Now we all get to see if LSU is serious about the sport or if they plan to just tread water again.

This is the difference to me. LSU has history of success with multiple coaches in the past, they should aim higher for a proven coach. Mississippi State before Vic hire did not have great history, so them taking a shot on Vic is more of a necessity because the job was not on the same standing as LSU. LSU should aim higher in my honest opinion. If Jolette Law took a job about the level Nikki McCray took and won, then no question, give her a big conference job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most LSU fans do not think its reasonable or going to happen. Will we probably reach out and try to gauge her interest and what it could possibly take to get her? Probably but I don't think she coaches anywhere else other than Baylor the rest of her career unless something happens that she wants to accomplish in her personal life. Only way she would possibly leave for LSU (outside of wanting to end up in Louisiana down the road) is if LSU empties the bank and flood the facilities with massive upgrades. Not sure LSU will pay that kind of money just for WBB (no offense). Then again, our AD is notorious for over spending so nothing would shock me with him

They certainly are capable of making her a strong-ass offer.......

Seriously, I doubt Mulkey would take the LSU job. She reminds me of Bobby Bowden. Bowden was offered to join the SEC in the early 90's when FSU was contending for titles every year, and he turned it down and chose to join the ACC instead. Word was, the reason for this was Bowden didn't like the competitiveness of the SEC, while he felt joining the ACC wouldn't hamper the level he had built the FB program to - in fact, he felt that FSU could immediately become the flagship CFB program of the ACC, and he wasn't wrong.

Watching Mulkey put together such weak schedules even with elite level talent makes me think that she would blanch at the thought of having to play in the SEC every season....

Reaction Score
Wes Moore should be perfect for this job n if they came up on the salary

Reaction Score
Law moved to SC, at least in part, because she grew up in South Carolina and wanted to go home. If she ever tries to be a head coach again it would likely be somewhere closer to there than LSU.

I would say there is a 0.1% chance Mulkey goes to LSU. She's built Baylor with her own hands and it's a fantastic school where she has as many resources as she wishes. I don't think she would give that up at this stage of her life.

If she wants to be a head coach again and LSU offers her, she would be foolish to turn it down. I don't think she would in that case.

She left Tennessee because it was an hour from her home and South Carolina gave her a good package.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This has been an interesting trail to follow. I've seen:
  • Jolette Law, who seems to excel at recruiting, has good P5 pedigree (Rutgers, Tennessee, S. Carolina) as an assistant coach, but didn't have such a good stint at being a head coach at Illinois. 2nd time a charm?
  • Gail Goestenkors, who had the Lin Dunn pedigree before having a storied career at Duke, then a not-so-good run at Texas. She's currently an assistant coach at Central Michigan. Can she rise to the occasion in a league and region she has not been a part of?
  • Prominent HC's at other institutions. Wes Moore at NC State. With all due respect, why would he leave when he's go Cunane one more year and landed two fine transfers to help push him over the hump. No need to comment on the Mulkey train, which is getting more than enough attention.
  • We've seen reference to Stephen Austin (in the past). Why not look at the current coach, Mark Kellogg, whose Lumberjacks have compiled the 2nd best record in Texas (after Baylor) after that team coached by Ms. Mulkey.
  • I also go back to my (and others') suggestion: at least make a call to Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast University. He wins, gets kids in via recruiting and/or transfers, and plays tough and fun. Yes, he's got the life on the shore, but LSU can offer a lot of salary to buy a summer house!
Plus, as noted, he's only 50 and should have the energy and wherewithal to make a good run at filling the LSU arena with a quality team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This has been an interesting trail to follow. I've seen:
  • Jolette Law, who seems to excel at recruiting, has good P5 pedigree (Rutgers, Tennessee, S. Carolina) as an assistant coach, but didn't have such a good stint at being a head coach at Illinois. 2nd time a charm?
  • Gail Goestenkors, who had the Lin Dunn pedigree before having a storied career at Duke, then a not-so-good run at Texas. She's currently an assistant coach at Eastern Michigan. Can she rise to the occasion in a league and region she has not been a part of?
  • Prominent HC's at other institutions. Wes Moore at NC State. With all due respect, why would he leave when he's go Cunane one more year and landed two fine transfers to help push him over the hump. No need to comment on the Mulkey train, which is getting more than enough attention.
  • We've seen reference to Stephen Austin (in the past). Why not look at the current coach, Mark Kellogg, whose Lumberjacks have compiled the 2nd best record in Texas (after Baylor) after that team coached by Ms. Mulkey.
  • I also go back to my (and others') suggestion: at least make a call to Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast University. He wins, gets kids in via recruiting and/or transfers, and plays tough and fun. Yes, he's got the life on the shore, but LSU can offer a lot of salary to buy a summer house!
Plus, as noted, he's only 50 and should have the energy and wherewithal to make a good run at filling the LSU arena with a quality team.
My top 4: Smesko, Kellogg, FSU assistant Wyckoff, Law

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My top 4: Smesko, Kellogg, FSU assistant Wyckoff, Law

Thanks for reminding me of Brooke Wyckoff. If I was LSU's AD, that's another call to the state of Florida I'd make. ?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think GG is at Central Michigan, not Eastern.
I knew that! But my fingers were operating on a different plane :rolleyes:.
Thanks and corrected. Still not sure of GG being the right fit in LSU.
If she was jumping back into the P5 world, I thought the B1G slots at Purdue and Wisconsin would've been more of a fit.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The ol' grain of salt -

Ain't no way that Kim would leave Baylor. She knows that her team is going to dominate the Big 12 for years to come as they are the big fish ?in the little pond. Going to LSU/SEC, not so much.
Maybe this rumor is alive so that BU may want to entice her to stay...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom