LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 26 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Morris will start from now on.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Morris will start from now on.
She probably should, but Mulkey can be weird about starts. Remember, Dijonai Carrington came off the bench all of last year.

Reaction Score
She probably should, but Mulkey can be weird about starts. Remember, Dijonai Carrington came off the bench all of last year.
Very true, the minutes are what counts though. That said, I feel Kim trusts Morris way more than she does Payne. She probably wants Morris to earn her spot/minutes walking into this program after Kim gave her a 2nd chance.

Reaction Score
That was the worst game I have seen from Pointer in years.... thankfully it was a game of that magnitude.

I liked what I saw from Trasi, Payne and Morris (at times).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice performance by LSU over Tulane, just not super consistent with their intensity defensively but they seem to be getting better. I am hoping Morris can start to hit wide open 3's moving forward, I cannot recall her ever being that bad of a 3 point shooter.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Nice performance by LSU over Tulane, just not super consistent with their intensity defensively but they seem to be getting better. I am hoping Morris can start to hit wide open 3's moving forward, I cannot recall her ever being that bad of a 3 point shooter.

Morris was pretty deadly at the 3. She'll get back to it, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
I'm so happy for this team. They are on a roll right now beating Missouri St and Iowa St back to back.

Morris finally found her 3 point shot today. I cannot say enough good things about Ryan Payne, she impacted the game dramatically on defense.

Just super happy for the girls though. Happiest I've seen this group in a long time.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
By far my favorite game of the night. You could feel the energy just watching the game on TV.

Reaction Score
Ehh Iowa State was fortunate to get by UMass and was playing without some bench pieces so a loss seemed inevitable. I’m interested to see how this team fares in SEC play when other teams are more familiar with tendencies and can match the athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ehh Iowa State was fortunate to get by UMass and was playing without some bench pieces so a loss seemed inevitable. I’m interested to see how this team fares in SEC play when other teams are more familiar with tendencies and can match the athleticism.
It’s hard to say the SEC teams are going to be familiar with LSU’s in Kim’s first year.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to say the SEC teams are going to be familiar with LSU’s in Kim’s first year.
SC played Baylor several times over the past 4 years so they might be familiar wuith some of the stuff they do. Great win tonight.

Reaction Score
SC played Baylor several times over the past 4 years so they might be familiar wuith some of the stuff they do. Great win tonight.
Yeah but Iowa State has faced Kim every year she’s been at Baylor.

Reaction Score

I mean, SEC coaches are still going to be familiar with how to defend most of those players as they’ve been facing Pointer and Aifuwa for five years now. Kim Mulkey doesn’t change their tendencies as players or how you defend them.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I mean, SEC coaches are still going to be familiar with how to defend most of those players as they’ve been facing Pointer and Aifuwa for five years now. Kim Mulkey doesn’t change their tendencies as players or how you defend them.
Wait, what? Absolutely players skills can evolve or erode depending on the coach. Pointer now has two running mates in Morris and Cherry that augment an offense along with Gusters and Newby. This is NOT Nikki's pathetic "defense and rebound" team of years past. The team does still lack athleticism and top skill that Baylor has long shown during Kim's years in Waco but to say "Ehh, beating ISU as they were down a bench piece" is a trifle disrespectful. ISU is good and this was a very good win in a rebuilding year. I think many of us are optimistic Kim will finish 8-8 in SEC play with some good wins and a bad loss or two. That said the enthusiasm, fan growth and success in Baton Rouge will only continue. Too bad Nikki Fargas was the commentator for the 7 PM game instead of this game as I would have loved to hear how she "spun" the narrative.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Absolutely players skills can evolve or erode depending on the coach. Pointer now has two running mates in Morris and Cherry that augment an offense along with Gusters and Newby. This is NOT Nikki's pathetic "defense and rebound" team of years past. The team does still lack athleticism and top skill that Baylor has long shown during Kim's years in Waco but to say "Ehh, beating ISU as they were down a bench piece" is a trifle disrespectful. ISU is good and this was a very good win in a rebuilding year. I think many of us are optimistic Kim will finish 8-8 in SEC play with some good wins and a bad loss or two. That said the enthusiasm, fan growth and success in Baton Rouge will only continue. Too bad Nikki Fargas was the commentator for the 7 PM game instead of this game as I would have loved to hear how she "spun" the narrative.... :rolleyes:

Wait, what? A player's skillset does not magically evolve within a few months because of a new coaching hire. Gusters and Newby are absolutely not premier offensive weapons, and to insinuate this is some outstanding offense is pretty wild. Sure, Morris certainly helps but the original point of other SEC teams will have the athleticism and size to match still stands. Iowa State and Missouri State both outrebounded LSU, but neither team has the same speed and quickness which comes in handy when you are trying to stay in front someone. Those size and speed advantages disappear in conference. Good luck, though.

Reaction Score
The big picture is. LSU would not win this game. Especially in a fashion of where we hit enough 3s. Or better yet. Touch 60. If it was a Nikki coached team.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? A player's skillset does not magically evolve within a few months because of a new coaching hire. Gusters and Newby are absolutely not premier offensive weapons, and to insinuate this is some outstanding offense is pretty wild. Sure, Morris certainly helps but the original point of other SEC teams will have the athleticism and size to match still stands. Iowa State and Missouri State both outrebounded LSU, but neither team has the same speed and quickness which comes in handy when you are trying to stay in front someone. Those size and speed advantages disappear in conference. Good luck, though.
I get where you are coming from but there is a bigger picture. LSU won 9 games last year, had a losing season and got absolutely embarrassed in their OOC slate verses better teams. It’s a dramatic contrast already. Beating Iowa St and Missouri St is big for this group.

LSU was lucky to break 50 points in most games last year no matter who the opponent is and this year they are scoring near 70 or more per game while still adapting to a very different system.

If LSU could pull off upsets of Georgia and A&M last year with that team, they are more than capable of doing some very good things in conference play. I expect some bumps in the road as we move forward, but don’t see why you have to diminish a quality victory yesterday. With the exception of Pointer, Nikki left Kim with not much talent and the current staff is getting way more out of this group than the last staff could ever dream of.

I’m going to enjoy the ride. This year is in reality a rebuilding year and stepping stone for the future until Kim restocks the talent level to where it needs to be

Reaction Score
But SC might be more equipped to deal with Mulkey's "tendencies". SC beat Baylor the last 2 times they played and I would assume the talent on the Baylor team was better than what she has now. The game still has to be played though so we will see.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But SC might be more equipped to deal with Mulkey's "tendencies". SC beat Baylor the last 2 times they played and I would assume the talent on the Baylor team was better than what she has now. The game still has to be played though so we will see.
The last 2 times? How do you figure?

IIRC the last time SC and Baylor played was the Paradise Jam in Nov. 2019, which Baylor South Carolina won (and in which Lauren Cox did not play), and the previous two meetings before that were in the 2018-19 season, both of which ended in 25-point victories for Baylor.

Is there a another meeting since Nov. 2019 that I'm not remembering?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last 2 times? How do you figure?

IIRC the last time SC and Baylor played was the Paradise Jam in Nov. 2019, which Baylor won (and in which Lauren Cox did not play), and the previous two meetings before that were in the 2018-19 season, both of which ended in 25-point victories for Baylor.

Is there a another meeting since Nov. 2019 that I'm not remembering?

South Carolina won that Nov 2019 game. Their only win against Baylor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

South Carolina won that Nov 2019 game. Their only win against Baylor.

Sorry, my bad, I just misstated. That was their last meeting, but my point is I'm not remembering a second recent meeting won by SC.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I knew we got the crap beat out of us in 2018. That was the T'ea year, which was an absolute disaster of a year from all directions. We lost twice to Baylor in the same year I believe, both by a lot. T'ea played in the game we got beat in the Regional against Baylor and the next game we played Baylor she was their starting PG and we beat them. Anyway, it should be a good game. There will be a lot of ferocious defense played, that's for sure.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Another win for the team that is quickly becoming my main team this year
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Reaction Score
I was so happy to see Grace Hall get some minutes and she looked good. These next few games are pretty good opportunities for the freshmen to get lots of time moving forward as they dont have much experience. Ware would see more minutes if she would stop turning the ball over.

Enjoying this group so far. LSU is 12 of their last 18 from three which is remarkable to me. We couldn't hit a dang 3 last year no matter how open we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom