LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 30 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m sure dawn would be ecstatic to have Nikki Fargas still in LSU. She wouldn’t see a threat to her SEC titles in the future smh I’m sure she’s already stressed bc Vic Schaefer is coming back next season along with Kellie Harpers revival of Tennessee growing stronger and stronger. Joni Taylor is starting to make a lot of noise throw in Mulkey and dawns cockytalk gets a bit worried !
Idk. Dawn embraces the competition. I sense a rivalry will brew between lsu and SC. These two coaches have huge personalities and will say what they have to say. Plus it’s the SEC. I’m gonna enjoy it. When LSU talent level picks up

Reaction Score
I personally think the comments Dawn said has gotten too much attention that it really don't warrant. I'm not gonna say she's right.

Kim is the best Hire LSU has gotten since Saban. In football. That's huge. That alone can bring in fan support. One thing about LSU. If your team has a pulse. They will come out and support.

Either way. My respect for Dawn and the Gamecocks will always be high. This comment has definitely sparked fire between two fan bases
The thing is the reporter tried to bait Dawn into throwing Nikki under the bus. If you watch her expressions when she is answering the question you can see she really is tip toeing around answering it. The truth is we played LSU twice last year and beat them by 4 and 7. So in Dawn’s mind she really was stuck. Its fine. Everybody knew there would be a rivalry brewing between these two. Add in Tennessee and Vic returning and this conference will be so much fun.

Reaction Score
I’m sure dawn would be ecstatic to have Nikki Fargas still in LSU. She wouldn’t see a threat to her SEC titles in the future smh I’m sure she’s already stressed bc Vic Schaefer is coming back next season along with Kellie Harpers revival of Tennessee growing stronger and stronger. Joni Taylor is starting to make a lot of noise throw in Mulkey and dawns cockytalk gets a bit worried !
You think this BOTHERS Dawn? The coach who scheduled NCState, Md, UConn, Stanford all the same year, knowing she was also going to face Joni, Kellie Harper, Mulkey, Gary Blair and any number of other fantastic coaches in our conference. Vic beat Dawn twice in all the years He had elite teams. Dawn embraces competition. If she was worried about her record or scared of the competition her OOC schedule would look like Vic’s or Mulkey’s or any number of coaches who schedule one or two good teams a year.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the head-to-head record between Dawn and Mulkey?
I could be wrong Kim was 2-1 at Baylor. Baylor won twice I think in the year Baylor won a natty. (last loss in the Bahamas in 19-20 I think, when Cooper went to Baylor?)

0-1 so far at LSU

So 2-2 overall?

I think LSU/SC is going to be an electric rivalry moving forward. The games should be very fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could be wrong Kim was 2-1 at Baylor. Baylor won twice I think in the year Baylor won a natty. (last loss in the Bahamas in 19-20 I think, when Cooper went to Baylor?)

0-1 so far at LSU

So 2-2 overall?

I think LSU/SC is going to be an electric rivalry moving forward. The games should be very fun.
Looks to be right. I browsed through USC's games from the past decade. I had thought that USC and Baylor had played more often...

Anyways, 2-2 is pretty even. I'm looking forward to this being a regular matchup!

Reaction Score
LSU is also not on the level of SC yet. Missouri state. Florida Gulf coast. Iowa state. All are decent to a team of LSU caliber. Which before the season. Was not predicted to be ranked this high. Better yet. Scrambling to even have a tournament seeding. South Carolina have the team to play almost anyone in the top 10 each game and win.

The ceiling for this LSU team is close to being met. They will drop some more games. But will win games too.
Don't sell this team short. I think this LSU team is a legit top 15 team. Your backcourt in my opinion is one of the best in the country. Pointer has always been underrated. I remember Morris as a freshman at Baylor, and I thought she was special then. The only thing that held her back is off the court issues. Cherry is very athletic and has a nice pullup and your front court is solid. Your starters are old as well as talented. If LSU stays healthy, I would not be shocked if this team reached the Elite 8 and a Dark horse for the final 4.

Reaction Score
Don't sell this team short. I think this LSU team is a legit top 15 team. Your backcourt in my opinion is one of the best in the country. Pointer has always been underrated. I remember Morris as a freshman at Baylor, and I thought she was special then. The only thing that held her back is off the court issues. Cherry is very athletic and has a nice pullup and your front court is solid. Your starters are old as well as talented. If LSU stays healthy, I would not be shocked if this team reached the Elite 8 and a Dark horse for the final 4.
I appreciate your positive thoughts. I think the strength of this LSU team is clearly their guards, Morris and Pointer are a pretty dynamic duo. Kim seems to get the most out of Morris, as evident by her other stops compared to how she has played under Kim. Cherry is a strong defender, a bit inconsistent offensively but you can never question her work ethic. She works hard to make a play on the defensive end whenever she misses a shot or turns the ball over.

The SC game exposed where LSU is weakest and that is their post play. But then again SC makes pretty much everyone look outmatched in the post, they are that good. I think Kim has really helped Aifuwa clean up and help a bit with her confidence but when you get past Aifuwa, the drop off in the post is gigantic. Newby is just a role player, good kid but isn't going to be able to generate a lot of offense or do well against bigger players . Gusters has to put in the work to get to a place where she could contribute regularly. She has herself to blame for getting suspended and having to play catchup recently.

It is my hope we can send Pointer and these seniors out on a good note. These kids love LSU and have really given their all to this program and school.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I personally think the comments Dawn said has gotten too much attention that it really don't warrant. I'm not gonna say she's right.

Kim is the best Hire LSU has gotten since Saban. In football. That's huge. That alone can bring in fan support. One thing about LSU. If your team has a pulse. They will come out and support.

Either way. My respect for Dawn and the Gamecocks will always be high. This comment has definitely sparked fire between two fan bases
In all honesty, doesn't a spark like that promote rivalries and improve WBB attendance and coverage? We're all WBB fans in this forum and that should please all of us.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your positive thoughts. I think the strength of this LSU team is clearly their guards, Morris and Pointer are a pretty dynamic duo. Kim seems to get the most out of Morris, as evident by her other stops compared to how she has played under Kim. Cherry is a strong defender, a bit inconsistent offensively but you can never question her work ethic. She works hard to make a play on the defensive end whenever she misses a shot or turns the ball over.

The SC game exposed where LSU is weakest and that is their post play. But then again SC makes pretty much everyone look outmatched in the post, they are that good. I think Kim has really helped Aifuwa clean up and help a bit with her confidence but when you get past Aifuwa, the drop off in the post is gigantic. Newby is just a role player, good kid but isn't going to be able to generate a lot of offense or do well against bigger players . Gusters has to put in the work to get to a place where she could contribute regularly. She has herself to blame for getting suspended and having to play catchup recently.

It is my hope we can send Pointer and these seniors out on a good note. These kids love LSU and have really given their all to this program and school.

I think next year will be the growing pain year for LSU. So, I hope your fan base does not take this year for granted thinking it will be better next year. Mulkey will have to hit the transfer portal real hard to make up ground as she continues to recruit. Do you know how LSU stands with Mikayla Williams?

Reaction Score
I think next year will be the growing pain year for LSU. So, I hope your fan base does not take this year for granted thinking it will be better next year. Mulkey will have to hit the transfer portal real hard to make up ground as she continues to recruit. Do you know how LSU stands with Mikayla Williams?
I can't speak for all fans but I know next year will be challenging given we lose so many seniors, not having any proven experience returning with the exception of Morris if she does return. We will likely have to do what Duke did this past offseason and add a boat load of transfers and find a way to make it work. LSU will have a talented incoming class coming in but counting on freshmen to do a lot is never a successful strategy.

LSU is in this for the long hall. Kim being hired is not going to make the program 'elite' over night. Its going to take a few years to get the talent level and depth where it needs to be.

I think LSU feels great about where they stand with M. Williams right now. They had to play catchup since coming in, Williams wasn't considering LSU much until Kim came here. Prior to the coaching change she had been to multiple visits to Baylor and Ole Miss. I can't say for certain where she ends up but her coming to many LSU games this fall, I think LSU is in a good place. I think the teams Williams is mostly considering is LSU, Ole Miss, SC, and UCONN.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You think this BOTHERS Dawn? The coach who scheduled NCState, Md, UConn, Stanford all the same year, knowing she was also going to face Joni, Kellie Harper, Mulkey, Gary Blair and any number of other fantastic coaches in our conference. Vic beat Dawn twice in all the years He had elite teams. Dawn embraces competition. If she was worried about her record or scared of the competition her OOC schedule would look like Vic’s or Mulkey’s or any number of coaches who schedule one or two good teams a year.

Ha... Staley ain't afraid of no smoke.

Reaction Score
Ha... Staley ain't afraid of no smoke.
She may be a lot of things to a lot of people but she is not afraid of losing. She scheduled UConn when we couldn’t stay in the gym with them. When people asked her why she said you cant know how to be a great team unless you know where you are lacking and you aren’t going to know playing teams you can easily beat. She also said one of the reasons she came to SC was so she could coach against Pat because she was one of the best. So this isn’t something new just because she has a great team. This IS the hardest schedule she ever put together but she said her team deserves this. They want to be challenged. As a fan though there doesn’t seem to be a break. Tomorrow we play ANOTHER ranked team in Kentucky.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

LSU has a higher ceiling than I would’ve expected early on… they defend, Aufiwa is a solid post, and that backcourt is electric. Pointer, Cherry and Morris can cause problems and they are HARD to guard. They’re going to go deep IMO.

I want to see LSU/Tennessee play. Winner is likely the 2nd best team in the league.

Reaction Score

I enjoyed getting to see more of Bartlett. She has to polish up a little bit on the offensive end but she could be a solid contributor next season if she can get past the knee issues.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
LSU has a higher ceiling than I would’ve expected early on… they defend, Aufiwa is a solid post, and that backcourt is electric. Pointer, Cherry and Morris can cause problems and they are HARD to guard. They’re going to go deep IMO.

I want to see LSU/Tennessee play. Winner is likely the 2nd best team in the league.
Last game of the season. ;)

Reaction Score
Congrats to LSU for not playing to the level of their competition. I watched the game, but turned if off as Auburn is terrible.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She may be a lot of things to a lot of people but she is not afraid of losing. She scheduled UConn when we couldn’t stay in the gym with them.
When was that exactly?

Reaction Score
When was that exactly?
This is an LSU thread, so I digress. I just wanted to clear up something. Susan Walvius scheduled the first 2 beat downs. Dawn caught the second one because I think UCONN was already on the schedule when she was hired. So, I won't acknowledge the first 2 wins against Dawn. :) We didn't play UConn again until Aja's Freshman year. So, we did have a good team when Dawn scheduled them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is an LSU thread, so I digress. I just wanted to clear up something. Susan Walvius scheduled the first 2 beat downs. Dawn caught the second one because I think UCONN was already on the schedule when she was hired. So, I won't acknowledge the first 2 wins against Dawn. :) We didn't play UConn again until Aja's Freshman year. So, we did have a good team when Dawn scheduled them.
Actually, I thought I had cleared it up in a September post (Gamecocks 2022, Part II) but apparently not. Here is my response to the same poster making essentially the same post:

"UConn and South Carolina met first in 2007 in Storrs when Susan Walvius was head coach. That game was the first of a home-and-home series with the game at South Carolina in 2008 being the homecoming game for Kalana Greene. The 2008-2009 season was Dawn’s first as head coach and the UConn game was on the schedule as part of a contractual obligation. The games between the 2 schools didn’t resume until the 2014-2015 season when the first meeting was in Storrs. As I recall, South Carolina was ranked #1 heading in to that game and made the Final Four that season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom