LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 29 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
She’s a middle aged white woman in a Southern state. It’s pretty simple. I don’t really see an issue with Dawn pointing out the disparities.

A quick Google search shows LSU finished at 18-7 with a 3rd place finish in the SEC in the 2017-18 season, according to NCAA numbers LSU wasn’t even in the top 50 in attendance.

It’s okay to admit some of what Dawn was alluding to has some truth to it. I’m glad Kim is experiencing early success because LSU historically was a great program.

But I do think it’s a little obtuse to completely disregard what Dawn is saying.
For what it's worth, in Nikki's first season as coach LSU SEC home games had between 4000 and 6000 fans attend. Last season even good home wins couldn't crack 1,000.

Respectfully, what that suggests to me is fans did give Nikki's first teams a chance, and gave up after a while. And to the degree Kim gets a bit more benefit of the doubt (7000 fans for their game vs A&M), well, there's one living coach in all of WCBB who has more national championships than she has. So maybe that explains the differential, to the degree there is one?

Reaction Score
I have a question regarding Gusters. Curious as to what LSU fans think since she's transferred from Baylor. I thought she would have a bit more impact but it's unclear based on her play and stats to date.

Reaction Score

I like Dawn but I cannot believe she said that...

No one with a pulse could seriously buy this. Nikki sucked and she got more than enough time. Should have been gone years ago.

What was the exact question?

Reaction Score
I can. I have no respect for Dawn at all. Never have; never will. This isn’t the first or last time she makes stupid remarks.

Great game by LSU!!
She was asked a question about it. Dawn gave them an answer. But I get it. Coaches make comments all the time and if you don’t understand the context of the comment it looks stupid. Prime examples would be the back and forth between Geno and Muffet or what UNC’s Banghart said this week. Geno makes a “stupid” remarks all the time according to fans of other teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think people should be disregarding Dawn’s comments on a fellow black woman’s experiences in a southern-based league. I’m sure Dawn is privy to more behind the scenes than fans are.

Quite simply, the way some people have been acting after this year’s teams victories over A&M and UGA (as if Fargas wasn’t doing these same things) kinda proves Dawn’s point.
No one ever disregarded Fargas victories over them. But if you watch the games. It’s not just about winning. It’s how we are performing. We are winning in different ways than we did with Fargas.

Reaction Score
I have a question regarding Gusters. Curious as to what LSU fans think since she's transferred from Baylor. I thought she would have a bit more impact but it's unclear based on her play and stats to date.
She needs to mature. Continue to get in shape. She has shown flashes. Even last night. One possession she posted up Boston got the ball. Squared her body and swallowed Boston and scored. Not many can do that to Boston being how long and strong she is. Then in the same game. She commits bogus fouls that puts her on the bench. She still needs work in order to get meaningful time. The problem is. Will there be enough patience

Reaction Score

No one with a pulse could seriously buy this. Nikki sucked and she got more than enough time. Should have been gone years ago.

You HAVE to listen to the question though to get the CONTEXT of the comment. “Dawn, LSU played you tough last year both times you played. How much more improved do you feel LSU is under Coach Mulkey.”. When she talks about support she SAYS its the fan support. That’s it. And then she goes on to talk about Coach Mulkey and what she has done. Whoever posted that video did you all a disservice by not including the question, which they could EASILY have done.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I mean, clearly she's taking great pains to show support for Fargas, and probably she was asked an unfairly leading question. But if Dawn is saying that the reason Fargas didn't win more games is that not enough fans showed up, well, that's a bit disingenuous.

Reaction Score
She needs to mature. Continue to get in shape. She has shown flashes. Even last night. One possession she posted up Boston got the ball. Squared her body and swallowed Boston and scored. Not many can do that to Boston being how long and strong she is. Then in the same game. She commits bogus fouls that puts her on the bench. She still needs work in order to get meaningful time. The problem is. Will there be enough patience
LSU is gonna have to add a boat load of transfers this off-season. They lose way too much after this season. LSU is looking at a uphill battle next season losing so many starters with no proven players behind them

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
How about you answer the question with "Mulkey has more passion and fight than Fargas" instead of blaming the fans.

Reaction Score
You HAVE to listen to the question though to get the CONTEXT of the comment. “Dawn, LSU played you tough last year both times you played. How much more improved do you feel LSU is under Coach Mulkey.”. When she talks about support she SAYS its the fan support. That’s it. And then she goes on to talk about Coach Mulkey and what she has done. Whoever posted that video did you all a disservice by not including the question, which they could EASILY have done.
If that was the question then in my opinion it was a little unfair to Coach Staley and it clarifies what she is saying. I don’t agree that it would have made a difference. Again I’d like to hear the entire exchange.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How about you answer the question with "Mulkey has more passion and fight than Fargas" instead of blaming the fans.
Also, I was aware of all the Community outreach that Kim did as soon as she was hired that @SECbbfan24 has noted numerous time Fargas NEVER DID. This fan support is directly tied to Kim’s efforts. Heck, Dawn of all people should know about that with what SHE DiD at SC to boost their attendance to phenomenal levels.

Nikki was the EXACT reason why the attendance fell off a cliff. Heck, just look at how many fans the LSU gymnastics team garners every meet.

Dawn had no logical correlation to state attendance would-should have supported Nikki’s program vs. Nikki should have supported boosting attendance for the program!

Coaches- Black, white, male, female or whatever distinction you have, eventually have to stand on their career record visa vi their pay and program pedigree and on this level Nikki failed. It had nothing to do with the color of her skin.

Reaction Score
LSU is gonna have to add a boat load of transfers this off-season. They lose way too much after this season. LSU is looking at a uphill battle next season losing so many starters with no proven players behind them
There is no doubt in my mind LSU is going to be a handful this coming season. Last night’s game was a blast. I can’t wait until the next time they play.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what all the hubbub is about Staley's comments. People are saying that Dawn is defending her friend Nikki to the point of sort of issuing a statement of denial of how reality was during Fargas' time in Red Stick. But I see it as a rather cold-hearted but to-the-point critique of her friend's failed tenure over the Bounding Bengals.

Dawn says simply - that had Fargas experienced the kind of excited fanbase support and full arenas for their home games under her, as Dawn experienced against Mulkey's squad last night, that perhaps Fargas would still be the head coach of the program.

Everyone is debating on how the fanbase support got to the tepid levels it presented under Fargas, and who exactly was responsible for that. But is Dawn's statement untrue? Can that be proven?

Perhaps it was a friend's painfully truthful testimony of her friends' failings as Head Coach at LSU. Dawn understood from the first day she was Head Coach at South Carolina that she needed to engage fully in community outreach and attract her fanbase to come to the games. That resulted in nationally-leading attendance averages for many years now, and it appears to continue into the future.

Perhaps this was Dawn's way of saying, "Hey Nikki, if you had done your homework and worked harder to bring your fanbase into your own home games to show support to the players and for what you were trying to accomplish, perhaps you'd still be the head coach there". Again, can this be argued against with ease?

SO what is the deal about, here??

Reaction Score
There is no doubt in my mind LSU is going to be a handful this coming season. Last night’s game was a blast. I can’t wait until the next time they play.
I'm proud of this team. They really arent very talented in general (with the exception of Morris and Pointer) but they play well together and play hard. Biggest difference this year is LSU is making it a giant priority to score more points on the offensive end. They are playing much faster. I think the coaches have gotten the most out of this team for the most part. The teams we are losing to are to teams that were just better than us and I can live with that. The teams we are suppose to beat, LSU is doing what they should be doing in those games. The thing with Nikki is while she normally had some solid wins every year, we would drop many games we shouldn't be losing, it sorta canceled out many of those quality wins we had. That has not been the case this year (so far at least).

SC was just a better team. It wasn't the players fault, it wasn't the coaches fault, they gave it what they had. Still a lot of season left to play and an opportunity to play for the best seed possible for NCAAT. We have not won a NCAAT game in 8 years. Sending these seniors out in the dance and with a NCAAT win would be nice

Reaction Score
It just sucks the game was on SEC+. It would have been a great game for the nation to see. I'm trying to see if it's online anywhere to see it for myself.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Why? Because she speaks her mind. The question was set up to throw Nicki under the bus and Dawn did not bite. LSU played us just as tough last year as they did this year.
My lack of respect for Dawn isn't due to this one incident nor is it against her coaching. I understood the question and I understood her response. And trust me when I say, I prefer coaches that speak their mind. I played for one! Dawn and Mulkey are both great, head strong, and tough coaches that get the best out of their players. I just don't agree with some of the things that Dawn says at times. The future will hold some very challenging games between LSU and SC and I look forward to it.

Reaction Score
It just sucks the game was on SEC+. It would have been a great game for the nation to see. I'm trying to see if it's online anywhere to see it for myself.
It did suck. I believe some of these games were scheduled TV wise way ahead of time. I don't think anyone was expecting LSU to be playing this well this year overall. Although I am surprised because its Kim/Dawn battle.

Reaction Score
She’s a middle aged white woman in a Southern state. It’s pretty simple. I don’t really see an issue with Dawn pointing out the disparities.

A quick Google search shows LSU finished at 18-7 with a 3rd place finish in the SEC in the 2017-18 season, according to NCAA numbers LSU wasn’t even in the top 50 in attendance.

It’s okay to admit some of what Dawn was alluding to has some truth to it. I’m glad Kim is experiencing early success because LSU historically was a great program.

But I do think it’s a little obtuse to completely disregard what Dawn is saying.
“If fans supported her like this, she might still be here”

I doubt there’s a single fan who prefers the results under fargas than 6 months under Kim.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Why? Because she speaks her mind. The question was set up to throw Nicki under the bus and Dawn did not bite. LSU played us just as tough last year as they did this year.
This; that's exactly why they asked the question.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
“If fans supported her like this, she might still be here”

I doubt there’s a single fan who prefers the results under fargas than 6 months under Kim.
LSU hardly played anyone with a pulse in the non-conference schedule so I don't know how you can say that at this point. Let's see how they look by the time of the SEC Tournament.

Reaction Score
LSU hardly played anyone with a pulse in the non-conference schedule so I don't know how you can say that at this point. Let's see how they look by the time of the SEC Tournament.
LSU is also not on the level of SC yet. Missouri state. Florida Gulf coast. Iowa state. All are decent to a team of LSU caliber. Which before the season. Was not predicted to be ranked this high. Better yet. Scrambling to even have a tournament seeding. South Carolina have the team to play almost anyone in the top 10 each game and win.

The ceiling for this LSU team is close to being met. They will drop some more games. But will win games too.

Reaction Score
I personally think the comments Dawn said has gotten too much attention that it really don't warrant. I'm not gonna say she's right.

Kim is the best Hire LSU has gotten since Saban. In football. That's huge. That alone can bring in fan support. One thing about LSU. If your team has a pulse. They will come out and support.

Either way. My respect for Dawn and the Gamecocks will always be high. This comment has definitely sparked fire between two fan bases

Reaction Score
I’m sure dawn would be ecstatic to have Nikki Fargas still in LSU. She wouldn’t see a threat to her SEC titles in the future smh I’m sure she’s already stressed bc Vic Schaefer is coming back next season along with Kellie Harpers revival of Tennessee growing stronger and stronger. Joni Taylor is starting to make a lot of noise throw in Mulkey and dawns cockytalk gets a bit worried !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom