LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would hope Kim is announcing the rest of her staff soon, classes start next week....

FACA20E3-5F00-491D-9D6B-CFAB8F21C6BE.gif

Heard a rumor of talks with Chante Crutchfield but not sure how true that is. Use to work with Mulkey years ago back in the early 2000s and use to coach T. McCowan back in HS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ask and you shall receive….

pretty much a formality as it’s who was on the road this AAU season.

Surprised they had any money left to hire anyone else...let alone this many. Must be nice.

Reaction Score

popcorn...

If true, I am guessing she will sit out this year but will be the new 'point guard' once Pointer graduates. My question is how much eligibility does she have even with the extra covid year and all the transferring

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

popcorn...

If true, I am guessing she will sit out this year but will be the new 'point guard' once Pointer graduates. My question is how much eligibility does she have even with the extra covid year and all the transferring

Two years, I would think.

A year at Baylor, a year sitting at Rutgers, a year playing at Rutgers, a year playing at A&M — so wouldn’t she have her senior year and a Covid year?

Will she be a grad transfer? If not, wouldn’t she have to sit out a year since it’s past the magical portal cutoff? Or was that date just to put yourself in the portal?

Reaction Score
Two years, I would think.

A year at Baylor, a year sitting at Rutgers, a year playing at Rutgers, a year playing at A&M — so wouldn’t she have her senior year and a Covid year?

Will she be a grad transfer? If not, wouldn’t she have to sit out a year since it’s past the magical portal cutoff? Or was that date just to put yourself in the portal?
That’s what I was thinking. I have no clue if she is a grad transfer. She entered the portal on July 27. She has been in school for a while, would think she would be near graduated by now

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That’s what I was thinking. I have no clue if she is a grad transfer. She entered the portal on July 27. She has been in school for a while, would think she would be near graduated by now
I assumed that going to three schools during her four years slowed graduation down. I wouldn’t think that everything transferred from school to school to school.

Reaction Score
I assumed that going to three schools during her four years slowed graduation down. I wouldn’t think that everything transferred from school to school to school.
I was told she was doing online classes as well to speed up graduation but not sure. Bouncing to three schools within 4 years is a lot.

anyways, if we have to wait a year for her to play than it is what it is. She’s super talented but she has to get her head on straight. A lot would have had to be agreed upon for Kim to take her back after the debacle at Baylor.

If that Twitter post is true, Kim did as much as she could in one off-season to flip this roster around. Adding Gusters, Moon, Bartlett and assuming Morris is night and day compared to Nikkis talent pool

Reaction Score
E9Wn4RdWYAMY6QB

Guess there will be an announcement Monday. Already on LSU's campus and practicing in their facility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was told she was doing online classes as well to speed up graduation but not sure. Bouncing to three schools within 4 years is a lot.

anyways, if we have to wait a year for her to play than it is what it is. She’s super talented but she has to get her head on straight. A lot would have had to be agreed upon for Kim to take her back after the debacle at Baylor.

If that Twitter post is true, Kim did as much as she could in one off-season to flip this roster around. Adding Gusters, Moon, Bartlett and assuming Morris is night and day compared to Nikkis talent pool
I been told her to come to LSU. Lol. Finally did it I see

Reaction Score
@Dwilliams02

Any guesses on lineups?

PG: Pointer (lock)
SG: Ursin (lock)
SF: Shematsi? (Has a lot of size and range to stretch the floor)
PF: Wide open between Newby, Bartlett, Petty, and Hall (McNeil probably needs more time)
C: Aifuwa (Gusters off the bench)

Grace Hall seems like a tweener between the 3 and the 4. Shematsi seems like the obvious choice at the 3 to me right now. I dont know what to expect on Newby. She is very experienced, a great rebounder but was never very strong offensively at Vanderbilt.

Kim never usually likes to play freshmen significantly but I feel Bartlett could be an asset early on depending how she is coming along from her knee problems.

Reaction Score
@Dwilliams02

Any guesses on lineups?

PG: Pointer (lock)
SG: Ursin (lock)
SF: Shematsi? (Has a lot of size and range to stretch the floor)
PF: Wide open between Newby, Bartlett, Petty, and Hall (McNeil probably needs more time)
C: Aifuwa (Gusters off the bench)

Grace Hall seems like a tweener between the 3 and the 4. Shematsi seems like the obvious choice at the 3 to me right now. I dont know what to expect on Newby. She is very experienced, a great rebounder but was never very strong offensively at Vanderbilt.

Kim never usually likes to play freshmen significantly but I feel Bartlett could be an asset early on depending how she is coming along from her knee problems.
She may used Cherry at the 3 as well. But Shemasti is definitely obvious. I'm thinking Newby at the 4. I like that we have guard depth.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There used to be a rule that every student-athlete had 5 years (in college) to complete 4 seasons (in one particular sport). Not sure if that's the case (especially with the COVID season being a "redshirt" for every hoopster). And, you only get one season to use as a transfer season due to sit-out rules. But, sometimes injury-related reasons can be exceptions to gain a waiver for a lost season, and have it count as an addition (medical) redshirt season.

So, Morris played:

Year 1 -- 2017-18 Baylor: First season of eligibility exhausted
Year 2 -- 2018-19 Rutgers: Redshirt season (first)
Year 3-- 2019-20 Rutgers: Second season of eligibility exhausted
Year 4 -- 2020-21 A&M: Was supposed to be a (second) redshirt season; but, the blanket waiver took effect in December; did not exhaust any eligibility
Year 5 -- 2021-22 LSU: most likely won't be granted immediate eligibility as an undergraduate transfer as she doesn't meet the requirements of the new waiver (first-time transfer and entering the portal prior to July 1, 2021); could be a waiver as a grad-transfer); whether she is allowed to play or not, this should be season 3 of eligibility exhausted
Year 6 -- 2022-23 LSU: would be season 4 of eligibility

Obviously, she's had off the court issues to deal with since her freshman season. But, during her freshman season, I never would have thought that she wouldn't have made it to the professional level after 3 or 4 seasons in college . . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what you are saying @southie is Kim needs to hit up ex ND Coach Muffet McGraw and collaborate on how to get another unheard of waiver approved for immediate eligibility this year.

Even if its just one season, considering LSU loses Pointer and Moon after this season, having Morris lined up at PG or SG for that matter, for next season is still pretty significant for us. She's a good player and I think Kim will get the most out of her. IMO she hasn't been near the same player as she was as a true frosh at Baylor. All that jumping from school to school definitely did not allow her to develop the way she could have.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So what you are saying @southie is Kim needs to hit up ex ND Coach Muffet McGraw and collaborate on how to get another unheard of waiver approved for immediate eligibility this year.

Even if its just one season, considering LSU loses Pointer and Moon after this season, having Morris lined up at PG or SG for that matter, for next season is still pretty significant for us. She's a good player and I think Kim will get the most out of her. IMO she hasn't been near the same player as she was as a true frosh at Baylor. All that jumping from school to school definitely did not allow her to develop the way she could have.
The thing is, I can't see a scenario where she is granted immediate eligibility for this season since she's already transferred twice, and this would be her third time. Now, the faint hope is if she's a grad-transfer; but, even then, she'll have to apply for a waiver.

If she can't play this season, I also can't imagine she'd stick around for a sixth year in college. So, it's an interesting storyline to follow.

Reaction Score
If she can't play this season, I also can't imagine she'd stick around for a sixth year in college. So, it's an interesting storyline to follow.
Maybe but I can't imagine Kim would go through this mess and shenanigans again (taking her in) for her to not play a single game. It certainly isn't worth all the hassle. I recall her reaching back out to Baylor/Kim after Rutgers but she said no before she went to A&M. Its apparent she has been wanting to play her entire career with Kim but she kinda messed that up on her own after the debacle her freshmen season at Baylor Now she is giving her another chance supposedly. A lot of talking and agreements behind the scenes would have had to been met for this to even be an option, JMO.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe but I can't imagine Kim would go through this mess and shenanigans again (taking her in) for her to not play a single game. It certainly isn't worth all the hassle. I recall her reaching back out to Baylor/Kim after Rutgers but she said no before she went to A&M. Its apparent she has been wanting to play her entire career with Kim but she kinda messed that up on her own after the debacle her freshmen season at Baylor Now she is giving her another chance supposedly. A lot of talking and agreements behind the scenes would have had to been met for this to even be an option, JMO.
"Agreements" between who? The only party that matters is the NCAA Waiver committee

Reaction Score
"Agreements" between who? The only party that matters is the NCAA Waiver committee
I am talking about between Morris and Kim for her to let her into her new program. If Morris isnt serious about redshirting potentially this year before playing, there was zero reason to ever take her. Its just not worth the headache and energy to go through all of that if there isnt a serious commitment to stick around. For Morris sake, outside of basketball, she really needs this for her (education wise and maturing).

She isnt playing this year IMO. She transferred way too many times for me to think she is a grad transfer, 3 schools in 4 years, where are all these credits coming from?

Reaction Score
Awa Trasi met with Coach Kim and it appears will be on the team this year after entering the portal 4 months ago.

How the hell are they going to manage all those post players? (Trasi, Newby, Petty, Hall, Bartlett, McNeil)

Reaction Score
Awa Trasi met with Coach Kim and it appears will be on the team this year after entering the portal 4 months ago.

How the hell are they going to manage all those post players? (Trasi, Newby, Petty, Hall, Bartlett, McNeil)
Whew. But having Trasi is huge though. Hall definitely gonna have to be groomed to play the 3 more than the 4. After this year. McNeil or Bartlett gonna have to learn to play the 5. To back Gusters. Most likely McNeil because I can see Bartlett starting the 4 in the future.

Reaction Score

Idk if it's me. But Kim seems to have a stockpile of 3 point snipers. (don't judge me). Trasi, Shemasti, Payne, Morris(maybe), Moon... Hall looks like she has range. Pointer I see being more aggressive shooting. Ware reminds me so much of Moon.

I like this roster so much.

Reaction Score
Idk if it's me. But Kim seems to have a stockpile of 3 point snipers. (don't judge me). Trasi, Shemasti, Payne, Morris(maybe), Moon... Hall looks like she has range. Pointer I see being more aggressive shooting. Ware reminds me so much of Moon.

I like this roster so much.
They have capable shooters but Fargas was no go on shooting the 3 often. When you don't let shooters shoot, and develop confidence and rhythm, its hard for them to make shots consistently. Look at Trasi's 3 point shooting numbers in year two under Nikki, it went from 37% and plummeted pretty bad. Shematsi and Payne in limited time look very serviceable shooting, need to see more but I like what I saw towards the end of last season. Moon is at least proven to be a capable mid ranger shooter with range from 3 as well.

The answer to this season couldn't be simpler, they have to score more and be more cohesive offensively. Horrible offense (not making baskets, turnovers, bad shot selection) was why they were so bad last year. That abomination in the OOC slate ended the season before it started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom