LSU and Ohio State, over ranked.... | The Boneyard

LSU and Ohio State, over ranked....

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Just my opinion. When either of them plays a competitive team, I think you will find out how good they are. Opinions welcome.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As you point out, time will tell whether LSU and tOSU are contenders or pretenders. To date, LSU has played one of the weakest schedules in the nation, with games against 0 ranked teams. The Buckeyes have played a little tougher schedule with home wins over ranked teams: Oregon, Michigan & Illinois, along with wins over formerly ranked TN & Louisville.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
LSU has only played one team ( Arkansas at #24) this year, the rest were cupcakes, so we'll see if their ranking holds up and how the committee views their accomplishments whn tournament seedings are announced.

Reaction Score
Just adding tale of the tape comparisons between the two schools. I will give the OP is half right, I agree with him on LSU but I don't think one can say the same about Ohio State. Looking at the Rankings and Quadrant wins should dispel "rumors" about Ohio States "weak" schedule.

LSU_Ohio State Comparisons.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Usually, the conference schedule sorts things out. But it is worth noting that the SEC is surprisingly devoid of ranked teams this year with only SC & LSU currently ranked in the AP top 25. The BIG is a little better off with 6 teams currently ranked.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm impressed with the job McGuff has done at Ohio State. Sheldon stepped in and played somewhat out of position, and she's been out since early December. Mikulasikova has become a real force in the post, and Mikesell has added defensive intensity to her already proficient offensive game.

They've played really well, still undefeated with a schedule that's #11 according to Massey. Sheldon has been listed as "week-to-week" since she went out. As long as she comes back at least a few weeks before the end of the regular season, I expect them to make some noise in the post season. The only knock on them as far as I'm concerned is that they tend to have a bad quarter every game.

Reaction Score
I’ve only seen a quarter here and there of LSU’s games (and Angel Reese is the only player’s name I know off the top of my head), but based on my eyeball-test — and cupcake schedule aside, their talent level borders on “scary.”

Reaction Score
As a LSU fan I don't sincerely believe LSU is a top 5 team or deserving of such an accolade. Clearly much of the hype they are getting is due to Kim Mulkey's name and having some very talented players, but not with what they have accomplished.

I think they have a good squad this year. LSU's PG position is not the same as last year as they get super careless handling the ball but the defense is significantly better than last years group and having Angel Reese adds a dimension inside the paint LSU lacked at times last year. Flaujae is probably LSU's best looking freshmen in a while. Best since Moncrief or Danielle Ballard (lord time flies). I think LSU is a much quicker and more athletic team compared to last year as Ladazhia, Reese and Sa'Myah are tall lengthy posts who can get out on the perimeter and defend, contrary to Aifuwa and Gusters who got burnt by teams often who spread the floor.

They are probably still a year or two away. Some of the players on roster and getting minutes right now are fillers until better talent gets into the program but its only year 2. LSU has 10 scholarship players and only 2 of those players were on the roster last year (Morris and Bartlett). The roster/program has been flipped inside out pretty quickly since Fargas left. This year while talented and capable is a bit of a transition period with a crazy amount of new faces learning to get familiar with a new system and with each other for that matter. I've been pleased with what I've seen so far but the SEC unfortunately doesn't have much competition this year, definitely down compared to last year.

As for OSU, they have beaten many quality teams. They should not be in this discussion. IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just my opinion. When either of them plays a competitive team, I think you will find out how good they are. Opinions welcome.
I agree with you. Neither team, especially LSU, has played a competitive schedule. Time will tell how good they really are. I have really not watched Ohio State. I have watched a few LSU games. Missouri made a big run on them in 3rd quarter last week but LSU came back, LSU definitely has talent but in games I have seen, Angel Reese is major part of that team. If teams shut her down or she has an off night, LSU is in trouble. She only scored 4 points in first half of game with Missouri and LSU did not look good until she started hitting shots in 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I think that when they beat a competitive team, folks will come up with another excuse to try and discredit LSU and Ohio State. LSU dusted the court with Missouri. Ohio State handled Nebraska. Those two teams are pretty competitive. Like I said, folks will keep coming up with a reason not to give LSU and Ohio State their respect. LSU and Ohio State are not over ranked.

Reaction Score
She only scored 4 points in first half of game with Missouri and LSU did not look good until she started hitting shots in 4th quarter.
LSU had a 16 point half time lead with Reese only having 4 points and both starting posts sitting most of the first half. If anything that should make me feel way better...

LSU's biggest problem by far is they are collective team of turnover machines. They come out in the third quarter and Morris/Poole/Poa turn the ball over 7+ times leading to a bunch of wide open 3's and layups. They have been so carless with the ball lately turning it over nearly 20 times a game and half of them are not even forced. Then they proceed to miss 10+ FTs.

LSU will eventually drop a game it shouldn't if they don't clean that up. Missing FT's and turning the ball over so much is a recipe for disaster no matter who you have on your roster.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think that when they beat a competitive team, folks will come up with another excuse to try and discredit LSU and Ohio State. LSU dusted the court with Missouri. Ohio State handled Nebraska. Those two teams are pretty competitive. Like I said, folks will keep coming up with a reason not to give LSU and Ohio State their respect. LSU and Ohio State are not over ranked.
Jada Pinkett Smith Point GIF by Red Table Talk

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
LSU had a 16 point half time lead with Reese only having 4 points and both starting posts sitting most of the first half. If anything that should make me feel way better...

LSU's biggest problem by far is they are collective team of turnover machines. They come out in the third quarter and Morris/Poole/Poa turn the ball over 7+ times leading to a bunch of wide open 3's and layups. They have been so carless with the ball lately turning it over nearly 20 times a game and half of them are not even forced. Then they proceed to miss 10+ FTs.

LSU will eventually drop a game it shouldn't if they don't clean that up. Missing FT's and turning the ball over so much is a recipe for disaster no matter who you have on your roster.
Kim has touched on the TO problem. I think they'll continue to work on it, but yes it can be frustrating at times because most of them are unforced TOs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ohio State deserves their ranking. They've waltzed through a very respectable schedule (while missing their best player for most of it) and are still undefeated. LSU is far more debatable, though it remains to be seen how good they are (or are not.)

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Neither team, especially LSU, has played a competitive schedule. Time will tell how good they really are. I have really not watched Ohio State. I have watched a few LSU games. Missouri made a big run on them in 3rd quarter last week but LSU came back, LSU definitely has talent but in games I have seen, Angel Reese is major part of that team. If teams shut her down or she has an off night, LSU is in trouble. She only scored 4 points in first half of game with Missouri and LSU did not look good until she started hitting shots in 4th quarter.
They lead the nation in Q1 wins.

Victories over Michigan, Illinois, Oregon, Louisville, and Tennessee, all of whom were ranked at the time of defeat.

Add in there solid if not spectacular teams in Boston College, Michigan State, and South Florida and I’m not really sure how one says they haven’t played a competitive schedule.

Reaction Score
Yup. I’m not sure how you can look at Ohio State’s record and say they haven’t played a strong schedule. Not their fault Louisville and Tennessee haven’t lived up to expectations. You have to consider the ranking at the time of the game. And for those two teams’ struggles, both are probably still top 30-35 teams.

Reaction Score
I’ll reserve judgement on LSU. So far, other than Arkansas, they have played the bottom of the SEC. They will be tested with Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, SC, Georgia, and Mississippi State all left on their schedule. SC beat Missouri by 30 today with their starters playing less than 23 mins. LSU won by 20 and their starters played 30 mins. That’s the only team with a pulse that we have both played. Tennessee, SC, and Mississippi State have the size to contest Reese. Winner will be who can hang for 40 mins.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ohio State will be #2 in the country next week. Impressive stuff for McGuff and Co. He'd be my vote for NCOY if the season ended today. He's done a great job at OSU since the Mitchells left the program.

Reaction Score
I’ve only seen a quarter here and there of LSU’s games (and Angel Reese is the only player’s name I know off the top of my head), but based on my eyeball-test — and cupcake schedule aside, their talent level borders on “scary.”
I agree they have talent, but nobody is scared of the little kiddies Halloween haunted house at the elementary school.

When they stop playing kiddie schools, we will see how “scary” they are.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Remind me at the end of the season. I can be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
I disagree with Ohio State. They’ve beaten a pretty good Illinois team, Michigan, Oregon, USF, Louisville and Tennessee.

Still a tough in-conference schedule left, but what they’ve done (and without Jacy Sheldon) has been impressive to say the least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom