Lou's Shooting Pct. by game to date | The Boneyard

Lou's Shooting Pct. by game to date

Reaction Score
For what it's worth . . .

upload_2017-2-22_16-35-17.png

X-axis: Game
Y-axis: FG%

I draw no conclusions from this graph, which is meaningful (if at all) only to the extent that there are at least 12-20 shots per game (which there were on average). The very tenuous suggestion is that Lou tends to shoot b/t 40-60% game-to-game. (Season average is presently at .486.) Inferences based on the last two games are ill-advised. I thought she got a number of good looks in the Tulane game. And she was really working for some shots, which got her to the line. The shots will come.

Reaction Score
Very helpful because it's so visual. I think everyone would be happy with a reversion to the norm.

Reaction Score
Her 3FG% has drifted down quite a bit in recent weeks. She was up near 50% at one point and is now down to about 42%.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Now add in a graph line for Lou getting sick, Try around February 1st or 2nd.
See if there is some correlation.
I dont believe she has fully recovered as of yet.:(

Reaction Score
Found that quite interesting; can you do s.t. similar for threes only?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Even in her best period, she is incredibly periodic. The opposite of Geno's desire for consistency? Would like to Naphessa's shooting percentage trend line :rolleyes:. Still, most players would kill for the overall results.

Reaction Score
Found that quite interesting; can you do s.t. similar for threes only?
I considered doing that ( and even went so far as to collect the data). But the sample size per game is so small as to make the result rather meaningless (I think) . I mean, she could go one for two, for 50% shooting one game; 0 for one in the next game, for 0% shooting; and so on. I question whether the resulting graph would not tell you much-- at least with respect to how well she is shooting from game to game.

If I have time I will post it, and we shall see.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou's scoring is purely up to Katie Lou. In the recent Temple game, during the first half, she consistently positioned herself on the perimeter to take a 3 point shot. In the second half, she started to become more mobile and kept continually moving just like Breanna Stewart use to do even posting up. She scored more points including a couple of 3's. This also keeps the opposing team's defense guessing and opening up more shots for UConn on the offense.

Next time, watch her closely. See if her game just stands around on the perimeter or becomes a moving machine. She plays a lot better when she is in motion and so does the team.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou's scoring is purely up to Katie Lou. In the recent Temple game, during the first half, she consistently positioned herself on the perimeter to take a 3 point shot. In the second half, she started to become more mobile and kept continually moving just like Breanna Stewart use to do even posting up. She scored more points including a couple of 3's. This also keeps the opposing team's defense guessing and opening up more shots for UConn on the offense.

Next time, watch her closely. See if her game just stands around on the perimeter or becomes a moving machine. She plays a lot better when she is in motion and so does the team.
Have posted this comment previously, but Lou tends to hit her 3's after making a couple of closer in shots. 2nd half yesterday, she received passes in low a few times, warmed up with a few 10"ers, then hit 3 3-pointers. She usually has a 6"+ height advantage, so don't know why they don't go to her more. Agree she needs to move more, but when others in the post, may not be part of game plan.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I considered doing that ( and even went so far as to collect the data). But the sample size per game is so small as to make the result rather meaningless (I think) . I mean, she could go one for two, for 50% shooting one game; 0 for one in the next game, for 0% shooting; and so on. I question whether the resulting graph would not tell you much-- at least with respect to how well she is shooting from game to game.

Well, if you are worried about that, then how about a 3-game moving average to smooth it out?

Someone else said that it is periodic and "therefore" not consistent. That is a non sequitur: a sine curve is very consistent in its behavior even though it is periodic.

To me, the important point about Lou since her slump began is that she is still very productive in her overall game, despite (or maybe because of) Geno's continual harping on that. Geno hasn't said a critical thing about her shooting; all of his focus is on the rest of her game. She will be a very productive player for UConn even if she doesn't make another 3 for the rest of the season, especially since no opponent can safely assume that she won't suddenly emerge from her cave and light them up -- so they still have to guard her at the 3-point line and in transition.

Reaction Score
Would be more interesting if you overlaid Kia, Crystal, Saniya etc to give it a little more perspective.

One or two games does not make a trend. Off games are not uncommon. The fact that Lou has been consistently above 40% is good.

Reaction Score

I think it would oddly enough. Because I think you'd see a greater grouping of near/at least 40% or more. I think right now she is taking more 2's which is keeping her fg% up but the chart is making that she isn't hitting a combination of the qty/and or percentage efficiency of 3's. AN excellent 3pt shooter is hitting 40% - Lou at one point was hitting around 47%. That was KML-like. Now if she misses many more 3's and is shooting more along the lately of 30-35% - yet she is hitting more 2's - the chart won't reflect her shooting efficiency is off. A 40% 3 point shooter is more efficient than a 50% 2 pt shooter. Thus only showing fg% can be very misleading.

Reaction Score
Have posted this comment previously, but Lou tends to hit her 3's after making a couple of closer in shots. 2nd half yesterday, she received passes in low a few times, warmed up with a few 10"ers, then hit 3 3-pointers. She usually has a 6"+ height advantage, so don't know why they don't go to her more. Agree she needs to move more, but when others in the post, may not be part of game plan.

IMO the team is better having Collier in the post (and Gabby at the high post) and having Lou sporadically look to get in the low post. IMO this team had to develop repetition all year long / establish an identity and keep that identity. I think if for example you look to move Collier away from the basket consistently- you'll possibly get other team to have her pick up more charges because she would also be required to drive to the basket too. It's not her comfort zone is my guess and overall this season we can't afford foul trouble.

Also by setting up the way they have imo it helps Kia and Saniya. They alos need to feel comfortable. Lou needs to feel them out too when she is on the perimeter. Pushing Collier out and alos getting that same feel etc for a team hwo really had so many questions to start and only this year have they fixed in together- I think it best to be more focused on roles. There were tiems this year we needed ot get Kia shots and get her going. And we still want Saniya to get her shots. IMO they would feel a better comfort zone working with primarily Lou rather than sometimes Lou and then sometimes Collier on the outside etc.

Reaction Score

CONNIE: Thank you. And I understand about the time issue as well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom