Louisville (8) vs Oregon (1) - 1/30/19 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Louisville (8) vs Oregon (1) - 1/30/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Dayton is extremely underwhelming given that they have three players who were ranked in the top-65 in the class of 2016.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
That's a first for me. Someone better give the video coordinator a raise and probably a promotion.

I suspect we are down a video coordinator for next season. That plug by Walz likely got that outstanding young man his first Assistant job offer.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've seen all of those get called the other way. To me they were all 50/50. On the 4th foul Ionescu leaped in front of her and hadn't even landed both feet when the contact occurred.

But those calls aren't the story, it's Louisville's defense. Outstanding!
The thing is you don't have to have both feet on the ground, and your feet can still be moving. Just as long as you beat the other person to the position. That's the rule.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Oregon State should be either #3 or #4, actually.

Obviously depending on the other 2 games, but I wouldn't put them lower than #4.
Considering they struggled with Death today (er “Give me Liberty or give me...) I think you are a bit premature to say they belong above where they are. I like them and Coach Scott A LOT, but not 3 or 4 yet. I need to see more.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Seeing how Oregon was the preseason almost consensus #1, I don't think the same voters are going to drop them more than 1 or 2 spots.
And what does it really matter at this time of the season?
These types of comments are just so ridiculous to say-“hey the sky is Blue, the pope is Catholic and Polls are for discussion” so please let’s just stop with these useless comments. Head bang Head bangHead bang

Reaction Score
The thing is you don't have to have both feet on the ground, and your feet can still be moving. Just as long as you beat the other person to the position. That's the rule.

I've seen a very wide interpretation of the rule. What constitutes "getting to the position" seems to vary from official to official and even sometimes with the same official in the same game. I've seen countless blocking calls where the person with the ball driving to the hoop suddenly leaves the path to the hoop and drives their shoulder square into the chest of the defender when the defender had clearly got to the position first, but was still moving The stated reason is always that the defender was moving. I remember UConn player Banks driving down the lane and getting called for a charge (and injuring her knee) when the defender jumped into her path only got her right foot on the ground and got hit in her right leg. It looked like a trip to me, but then I already said I'm lacking in knowledge. I was told once by an official who did college games that his way of calling it was where the defender got hit. If they hit the defender square in the chest it was a charge and everything else was a block. Today I watched an Oregon defender hit a ball handler while she (the defender) was moving forward into the ball handler.
I don't profess to know much about rule interpretation but I do know inconsistency when I see it.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Walz said after the game the video guy was the one who came up with the defense to slow Oregon down by putting the center at the point. I give him credit for listening to his people.
Wait, Walz hired a male video guy? Please don’t show that video to MM, she will have a fit...:rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've seen a very wide interpretation of the rule. What constitutes "getting to the position" seems to vary from official to official and even sometimes with the same official in the same game. I've seen countless blocking calls where the person with the ball driving to the hoop suddenly leaves the path to the hoop and drives their shoulder square into the chest of the defender when the defender had clearly got to the position first, but was still moving The stated reason is always that the defender was moving. I remember UConn player Banks driving down the lane and getting called for a charge (and injuring her knee) when the defender jumped into her path only got her right foot on the ground and got hit in her right leg. It looked like a trip to me, but then I already said I'm lacking in knowledge. I was told once by an official who did college games that his way of calling it was where the defender got hit. If they hit the defender square in the chest it was a charge and everything else was a block. Today I watched an Oregon defender hit a ball handler while she (the defender) was moving forward into the ball handler.
I don't profess to know much about rule interpretation but I do know inconsistency when I see it.
Yes I too have seen inconsistent officiating, but with these three calls I had no problem. By the way, I was rooting hard for Louisville. I usually have no problem with officiating good or bad. As long as during the game they remain consistent with their good or bad play calling. Frankly, you will never see me complain about officiating. Ever. A good team overcomes bad officiating and doesn't put themselves or the team in a position where officiating changes the outcome or even impacts a game.

Reaction Score
Watched the game on Flo Hoops. Oregon scores 24 in 1st Q... 8 in the 2nd. Credit to Walz and the Cards for carrying out the game plan. Louisville shot well and Oregon shot poorly. There was a stretch were Oregon had 5-6 defensive stops in a row but could not convert despite having good looks and even (missed) layups. On another day that would have been a 12-0 or 15-0 run. Oh well. Glad in a way to have the monkey (#1) off our back. Somebody else can wear it and the Ducks need to regroup and think about this defensive scheme and what it did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom