Looking forward | The Boneyard

Looking forward

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The newbies will get more playtime as we need them developed and time is not on our side. This is a different kind of season. Lesser time to be developed lesser time to get in game shape and lesser time to gain experience. With 3 more games coming up this week I expect us to be at least 9 deep. By January we need to be playing at another level. Those who play at that level will play more minutes in big games then those who dont. I dont expect us to have huge blowouts either because we will be 9 deep.. I expect us to have a mindset that we need to get better as a team. To do that we have to many really good players that need to learn Genos system, learn it fast and make it flow. If we have a 9 player rotation that will take a little longer to develop then a 6 player rotation. Thats where we're at. So I wouldnt look for big time blowouts right away. We will win and out talent alot of teams. It may not be pretty at times but we will win. It will be pretty when we're polished and that takes time. I remember when I was working for a golf professional who had just gotten off the tour after many years. He said what do you wanna be? I said I wanna go on TV and play golf just like you. He said do you know what it takes? You need to hit 300-500 golf balls a day. Play 18 holes and if you dont break par play another 18 and hit more balls and putt til dark for 4 years and you might make it. So what will it take for UConn to get up to Genos expectations. It will take dedication, time, a total commitment, and sacrifice. If we look forward and not back we can do it. When your looking back the view never changes.

Reaction Score
After watching the first game I can see the potential these players have. Yes, the opponent was weak, but most of the players have a very high ceiling. Geno has the luxury of subbing players in that are just as good as players coming out. As you can tell I really like this team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let me try a minutes estimate (average over season)

Paige 30.
Evina 20
CW 25
Liv 25
Anna 25

Aaliyah 20
Aubrey 20
Nika 15
Mir 15
Paith 5

Reaction Score
Let me try a minutes estimate (average over season)

Paige 30.
Evina 20
CW 25
Liv 25
Anna 25

Aaliyah 20
Aubrey 20
Nika 15
Mir 15
Paith 5

I mostly agree with the above with the exception of CW. She played 38 minutes against UMass, so I can't see her dipping down to 25. It'll be interesting to see how deep we actually are once we play a few more games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The newbies will get more playtime as we need them developed and time is not on our side. This is a different kind of season. Lesser time to be developed lesser time to get in game shape and lesser time to gain experience. With 3 more games coming up this week I expect us to be at least 9 deep. By January we need to be playing at another level. Those who play at that level will play more minutes in big games then those who dont. I dont expect us to have huge blowouts either because we will be 9 deep.. I expect us to have a mindset that we need to get better as a team. To do that we have to many really good players that need to learn Genos system, learn it fast and make it flow. If we have a 9 player rotation that will take a little longer to develop then a 6 player rotation. Thats where we're at. So I wouldnt look for big time blowouts right away. We will win and out talent alot of teams. It may not be pretty at times but we will win. It will be pretty when we're polished and that takes time. I remember when I was working for a golf professional who had just gotten off the tour after many years. He said what do you wanna be? I said I wanna go on TV and play golf just like you. He said do you know what it takes? You need to hit 300-500 golf balls a day. Play 18 holes and if you dont break par play another 18 and hit more balls and putt til dark for 4 years and you might make it. So what will it take for UConn to get up to Genos expectations. It will take dedication, time, a total commitment, and sacrifice. If we look forward and not back we can do it. When your looking back the view never changes.

Everyone must keep in mind throughout the season that there is no guarantee that we will play our next scheduled game. Games are being canceled and postponed every day. Don’t take the next game for granted, that includes Seton Hall tomorrow.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I mostly agree with the above with the exception of CW. She played 38 minutes against UMass, so I can't see her dipping down to 25. It'll be interesting to see how deep we actually are once we play a few more games.

I am a bit pessimistic with CW I think she can get into funks and get lost in the game too much so I see her minutes reduced somewhat. I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
It is easy to forget these are teenage college kids who have to go to class; want to party and whatever else kids in college do these days. If they don't do these things too .what a waste...

Reaction Score
I am a bit pessimistic with CW I think she can get into funks and get lost in the game too much so I see her minutes reduced somewhat. I hope I am wrong.

I tend to agree with you, shes been very inconsistent. But the one constant has been Geno playing her big minutes despite those ups and downs. It looks like Evina will likely have limited minutes, so CW will have to play a lot, as Muhl is the only other guard. Next year when we have some additional guard options, she might lose time if she isn't performing. Hopefully we are both wrong and she has a great season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
@oldude made a great point in another thread. If Christyn had hit 1 or 2 of her 3's and scored 15-16 points, people would have (for the most part) had a completely different assessment. Geno left her in the game (38 points) for a reason. She had 7 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals and 1 block. If she had scored 15 or 16, we'd all have added that to her stat line and said "wow what a complete game for Christyn" (or I think many would have).

I don't deny she needs to shoot better from 3. I think she's capable of 33% which is decent, while not great. @UConnCat and others have mentioned before that 3-point shooting will likely be a challenge for this team. We have not seen Paige take any, but hopefully she's a good 3-point threat. We know Anna is. If Evina and Christyn can at least be competent, we will be fine. If not, we may see lots of zone.

Reaction Score
We need a shooting coach for Liv on her foul shots and Christyn on three's. Good shooters use their wrists and follow thru. You can tell if you are doing it right by the spin on the ball. That spin also helps you can some nice bounces off the rim and the backboard. They both don't do that. Christyn does not set up with her feet for her 3point shots like Evina did on her corner three or Anna does. Paige has been a killer 3point shooter since 8th grade. We will be OK on three's

Reaction Score
We need a shooting coach for Liv on her foul shots and Christyn on three's. Good shooters use their wrists and follow thru. You can tell if you are doing it right by the spin on the ball. That spin also helps you can some nice bounces off the rim and the backboard. They both don't do that. Christyn does not set up with her feet for her 3point shots like Evina did on her corner three or Anna does. Paige has been a killer 3point shooter since 8th grade. We will be OK on three's
Yeah I agree that we need a coach that can teach our guys how to shoot. Obviously the ones that are coaching the guys now don't know how to do it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im sure the coaches are working with both of them on their shooting. When you make changes to your shot you have to shoot alot of shots before it becomes reflexive and just happens so you dont have to think about it. In the meantime when your going to take a shot your thinking about what you should be doing instead of just letting it happens. How many shots do you have to shoot til you get it...as many as it takes to get it. No magic just alot of work over a period of time and that period of time its usually longer then most are willing to put the time in.

I know when I had golf lessons I would hit between 250 -400 balls after the lesson. One day the asst pro said to me what are you doing? I said Im practicing it so when I get on the course it just happens unlike you who takes 20-50 practice balls and then you think youve got it. He laughed. He said how can you hit that many balls, dont you get tired. I replied well I start with 1 ball. He laughed again. He laughed again. I said the secret is hard work and never quitting until youve reached your goal and they when you do just keep on doing it so you dont loose it. True Story. Those of you who know me know I hit alot of balls.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree that we need a coach that can teach our guys how to shoot. Obviously the ones that are coaching the guys now don't know how to do it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The coaches might not concentrate on individual skills. It is obvious to me that Christyn is shooting exactly like last year. No setup, hesitation, no follow thru and then no confidence. She needs to stick to her midrange game and drive's to the hoop until she can do like Paige and Azzi do hit 23 out of 25 most everytime in their workouts.

Reaction Score
The coaches might not concentrate on individual skills. It is obvious to me that Christyn is shooting exactly like last year. No setup, hesitation, no follow thru and then no confidence. She needs to stick to her midrange game and drive's to the hoop until she can do like Paige and Azzi do hit 23 out of 25 most everytime in their workouts.
I stand by my previous post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can see us going 11 deep without any problems.
say what weird al yankovic GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom