looking for lunch ideas in Hamden? | The Boneyard

looking for lunch ideas in Hamden?

Reaction Score
Never been to Hamden and need less expensive lunch recommendations. Will have my 12 year old daughter but she will eat most.

Reaction Score
I live walking distance from the center of Hamden (Eli's, Glenwood, etc). My favorite restaurant in the area is Cumin India. Not sure if your daughter is a fan of Indian food, but it's some of the best in the greater New Haven area. It's also in a former IHOP location so it's spacious and nice on the inside (though it still resembles an IHOP in some ways).

Olde World pizza is technically in North Haven but it might as well be in Hamden as it's on Whitney Ave right across from Cumin. Definitely the best option for apizza if that's what you're feeling.

Edit: scratch Olde World, they are only open for lunch on Fridays it seems

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I live walking distance from the center of Hamden (Eli's, Glenwood, etc). My favorite restaurant in the area is Cumin India. Not sure if your daughter is a fan of Indian food, but it's some of the best in the greater New Haven area. It's also in a former IHOP location so it's spacious and nice on the inside (though it still resembles an IHOP in some ways).
Thanks for this. I'll have to check it out. Have you been to Kamana in Guilford? I'm wondering how Cumin India compares.

Reaction Score
Just an FYI @husky99 - Olde World doesn’t open till 3p.
Yeah, I realized that after my post and tried to sneak an edit in. Unfortunate.

Thanks for this. I'll have to check it out. Have you been to Kamana in Guilford? I'm wondering how Cumin India compares.
I have not! I grew up on the Shoreline and always went to Darbar in Branford for Indian food. Will definitely check Kamana sometime.

Reaction Score
Try Naatiya Indian Restaurant in Bloomfield. Good Indian food

Reaction Score
Third the Glenwood. Get the hot dog well done; and get the onion rings (best ever).

Mikro Depot is another good option if it's a Friday or weekend.
If I remember it correctly, Mikro has seating in the back where you can see the Canal Line, and walk off a meal if you like.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Glenwood has been a solid choice for years and will not disappoint. Another option close to Glenwood is Liuzzi's in North Haven. Fantastic Italian market and cheeses to check out while you wait for your grinder.

Reaction Score
Bread and Chocolate on Whitney Avenue. Good sandwiches and soups and homemade breads and pastries. Their breads are sold in natural food markets.

May have outdoor seating too, but I am not sure.

There may be a new restaurant where Amici's used to be.

Good Greek food here, with some outdoor seating and nice baklava and homemade yogurt at Fresko's at Town Center

1659453430253.png

Reaction Score
Never been to Hamden and need less expensive lunch recommendations. Will have my 12 year old daughter but she will eat most.
I am guessing you are not looking for Fast food but Hamden does have basically everything for that (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, subway, Popeye's, KFC, Panera, DiBellas, Dominos, Moe's, Chipolte) I'm sure I missed some.

Glenwood is a good drive in for burgers/hot dogs/ Fried Seafood, Fries etc.

Ray and Mikes is great for sandwiches but I wouldn't exactly say its cheap

Elis has both a restaurant and a pizza place across the street from each other, food is good at both.

Corner Deli is also good for sandwiches - The philly cheese steak used to be great at old location, i haven't tried since they moved down the road

Fat Wedge U - more college type sandwiches

Reaction Score
Glenwood has been a solid choice for years and will not disappoint. Another option close to Glenwood is Liuzzi's in North Haven. Fantastic Italian market and cheeses to check out while you wait for your grinder.
Liuzzi's has overstuffed sandwiches. Also, their deli has grilled eggplant marinated in olive oil.

Reaction Score
Buffalo chicken sandwich at the Corner Deli is the only acceptable answer. God, I miss that place

Reaction Score
Blackies if you don't mind driving to Cheshire

Reaction Score
Third the Glenwood. Get the hot dog well done; and get the onion rings (best ever).

Mikro Depot is another good option if it's a Friday or weekend.
I do like Mikro, but it's colossally overpriced.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I am guessing you are not looking for Fast food but Hamden does have basically everything for that (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, subway, Popeye's, KFC, Panera, DiBellas, Dominos, Moe's, Chipolte) I'm sure I missed some.

Glenwood is a good drive in for burgers/hot dogs/ Fried Seafood, Fries etc.

Ray and Mikes is great for sandwiches but I wouldn't exactly say its cheap

Elis has both a restaurant and a pizza place across the street from each other, food is good at both.

Corner Deli is also good for sandwiches - The philly cheese steak used to be great at old location, i haven't tried since they moved down the road

Fat Wedge U - more college type sandwiches
Forgive my ignorance, what is a “college type” sandwich?

Reaction Score
Well if you're going that route, Sapori d'Italia's eggplant pizzaiola is amazing.
They do have hot food served at the counter in buffet style and served by the employee behind the counter, with such choices as chicken and mushrooms, sausage, and of course nice pastries from the counter. For like a dollar, you can get some great store-baked bread in a pocket.

Lots of benches outdoors. They are on Circular Avenue, off Dixwell in you are not familiar with the area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom