Lobster Roll in CT | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not the mayo based. I do make a mean vinegar based ramen noodle slaw. I don't know if anyone likes it but any time I make it I bring home an empty serving bowl.
And if I did like slaw I would never have it out on a sandwich. Definitely a side eaten with a fork.
I'm very picky about coleslaw, but a good one is a perfect condiment for a pulled pork sandwich, along with pickles.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm very picky about coleslaw, but a good one is a perfect condiment for a pulled pork sandwich, along with pickles.
OTOH, I'm finding a lot of good cole slaw these days. I pretty much like them all from a restaurant but hate them all from a supermarket deli.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, I'll take a bit of a derivative. I never bet on a chef whose food is judged by the judges as "underseasoned". Time and again in food shows, being light on salt and pepper and butter do you in.
One tip is when they show the chef's bio upfront, and a chef is tilting the saute pan and basting the scallop or whatever really fast with a spoon and the hot butter, pick that chef. If the spooning is slow and deliberate, avoid.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OTOH, I'm finding a lot of good cole slaw these days. I pretty much like them all from a restaurant but hate them all from a supermarket deli.
We like it very simple, with vinegar and little to no mayo. Lenny & Joe's on the shoreline does it right. When we are serving barbecue or having a cookout, we just order a quart of it from them.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One tip is when they show the chef's bio upfront, and a chef is tilting the saute pan and basting the scallop or whatever really fast with a spoon and the hot butter, pick that chef. If the spooning is slow and deliberate, avoid.

Also noticed the judge's are usually hostile towards private chefs, or other chefs who haven't put in the 18 hours days in a kitchen running a restaurant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was just checking around to see when the local lobster roll joints are opening and I noticed that Liv's Shack in Westbrook is permanently closed and will not be returning to their Pilot's Point location, which had become a favorite spot of ours.

Anyone have any idea what the plan is for that spot? We liked Boom, which was there previously, but really loved the more casual setting for Liv's Shack--and especially the BYOB.

@August_West , any intel?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I feel like if we went to a restaurant, I would probably be arrested for stabbing you with a fork after you asked the waitress a 12th question about the condiments on offer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I feel like if we went to a restaurant, I would probably be arrested for stabbing you with a fork after you asked the waitress a 12th question about the condiments on offer.
Let’s make sure it’s not a lobster roll joint then; that might upset the toddlers.

Reaction Score
I was just checking around to see when the local lobster roll joints are opening and I noticed that Liv's Shack in Westbrook is permanently closed and will not be returning to their Pilot's Point location, which had become a favorite spot of ours.

Anyone have any idea what the plan is for that spot? We liked Boom, which was there previously, but really loved the more casual setting for Liv's Shack--and especially the BYOB.

@August_West , any intel?
Owner of Chow (Clinton) is opening restaurant called Bacari Social https://bacarisocial.com/

Reaction Score
Thanks. I’m sure they’ll do fine but I don’t love Chow.
Agreed they want it to be like shell and bones. I won't go there for personal reasons but I'm sure they will do well

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed they want it to be like shell and bones. I won't go there for personal reasons but I'm sure they will do well
Oof. That’s a high bar. I feel like Chow tries to be like Moxie-meets-Taino-meets-Bufalina and doesn’t come close to any of them.

I can’t imagine I’d dig them falling short on quality seafood and steaks. Shame because we love the spot.

I’m glad to see Shell & Bones still killing it. I’ve been there twice on Sundays the past two weeks, once for brunch and once for dinner, and they’ve been packed both times. Both A+ meals (and bill$!).

Reaction Score
Oof. That’s a high bar. I feel like Chow tries to be like Moxie-meets-Taino-meets-Bufalina and doesn’t come close to any of them.

I can’t imagine I’d dig them falling short on quality seafood and steaks. Shame because we love the spot.

I’m glad to see Shell & Bones still killing it. I’ve been there twice on Sundays the past two weeks, once for brunch and once for dinner, and they’ve been packed both times. Both A+ meals (and bill$!).
Yea not sure if it’s gonna be all seafood as website says Italian but know they are looking to make it an upscale type place on water like shell and bones

i hope they do well but have same feelings as you about chow

Reaction Score
First Lobster Landing trip of the season tonight. Daughter and I each thought it tasted even better than we remembered.

Up to $19.75 though!
Surprised it's not more...Canadian suppliers have really been rocked by covid restrictions and it is roiling the industry. They can harvest but can't import to the states yet, so they don't harvest because it will all just rot on the docks. They are way behind us on opening up.
I have some friends in the commercial food supply business and they said to brace yourself for $15/lb for 1-1.25 lber's this summer. Cleaned lobster meat is already $50/lb...

Reaction Score
Surprised it's not more...Canadian suppliers have really been rocked by covid restrictions and it is roiling the industry. They can harvest but can't import to the states yet, so they don't harvest because it will all just rot on the docks. They are way behind us on opening up.
I have some friends in the commercial food supply business and they said to brace yourself for $15/lb for 1-1.25 lber's this summer. Cleaned lobster meat is already $50/lb...
He catches his own lobster

Reaction Score
First Lobster Landing trip of the season tonight. Daughter and I each thought it tasted even better than we remembered.

Up to $19.75 though!
In your travels..., Little Rhody Lobster and Seafood could be worth a stop just off 95N in Hopkinton/Ashaway on Frontier Rd.
. The exit right after the truck stop that's on the state line.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just had a nice lobster roll at J's Crab Shack in Parkville Market. Good value at $15.95.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
OT - I had a tremendous pair of (fried) soft shell crabs at Westfair fish and chips last week. Went a la carte (their "chips" are nothing special), $23 total. I was licking the mustard off the wax paper. Will be back weekly as long as the season lasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom