Lisa Leslie on Saniya Chong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lisa Leslie on Saniya Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She won't, it will be based on her game and skills which are excellent. I cannot think of a single freshman in the past who valued and protected the rock, as well as, Saniya.

The statistics bear (pun intended) you out on this, Icebear. However, there has to be a reason that Geno has not been giving significant minutes to Saniya. My observations have been that Saniya treats the basketball like a hot potato. IOW, she makes a safe pass almost as soon as she gets it. She doesn't seem to be trying to make something happen. Also, as some people have pointed out, I think her release point for her three point shot is too low, and she is too slow getting the shot off. No one is rooting for Saniya more than I am ( well, maybe her parents and H.S. coach) but I believe she is at great risk of losing playing time to at least one of the four new guards coming in next year. Time will tell.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The statistics bear (pun intended) you out on this, Icebear. However, there has to be a reason that Geno has not been giving significant minutes to Saniya. My observations have been that Saniya treats the basketball like a hot potato. IOW, she makes a safe pass almost as soon as she gets it. She doesn't seem to be trying to make something happen. Also, as some people have pointed out, I think her release point for her three point shot is too low, and she is too slow getting the shot off. No one is rooting for Saniya more than I am ( well, maybe her parents and H.S. coach) but I believe she is at great risk of losing playing time to at least one of the four new guards coming in next year. Time will tell.
Again, we can all just go off our impressions. I can also remember a huge number of great dishes that Saniya has made, some even when she's around the basket. So what does it all prove? Your hot potato memory or my steamed taters on a nice dish?

That's why I like real numbers.

sTu

Reaction Score
I will wait until I see Saniya' mindset about scoring change before I make a judgment that someone who scored 33 points a game on in high school has to change her release point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, you were the one who stated that Saniya "is not as good a player at this point," which brought up a whole different skew than the OP stated. The hope was that Saniya would get the same boost as Stewie, which was quickly followed by ES pointing to MoJeff as another example of a big boost going into soph year. You say you don't think she's capable of it. Indeed, showing the huge type of progress that MoJeff has made this year is not easy, but I see no reason to relegate Saniya to the second tier as someone who can't make the cut in the Hunger Games. And who besides you is comparing Saniya to Stewie??? Saying that Saniya can have the same proportional leap as last year's NCAA MOP did to her present consistent status is not futile and has no connection with anyone saying she can be as good as Stewie. Our Ossining girl is quite capable of having the kind of huge boost that many other Huskies have had going into their soph year.

No one said anything about being as good as Stewie flat out (myself included). The first poster says says, "If Saniya gets the same soph boost as Breanna..."

So that person brought up Stewie's growth. I contend that Stewart's jump was significant, mainly because she's a rare player. And I replied that comparing her to Stewie (in that light was inferred) is not realistic. Hardly out on a limb there.

My argument was that MoJeff's and Stewart's and Mojeff's jumps are unusual. The vast majority of UConn players don't make that big of a jump. With MoJeff we are talking about average sub to damn near AA status (probably should be). In one year. How many others have done that (your words were "many other Huskies")?

Look I get that it's an "our girl" thing, but I'm just trying to evaluate a basketball player.

And again, you can't just throw out stats with the bath water just because they don't always tell a complete story or some posters misuse them. Until you get your perfect picture system set up, in this real world most of us will try to stick to the facts.

There is no perfect empirical system. But stats are often laid down as, "there it is. there's the proof. That's all we have to go on." That's a cop out to me. In reality, stats are one of several lenses. I don't say throw them out, but they are only a piece of the picture. People often don't like that because it's a grey area. And grey areas are uncomfortable. Again, for example, the stats (facts) say DT's senior year was good, but not other wordly. Yet when watching, taking into account all factors, it wasn't hard to tell that DT was the best player in the country.

Stats are facts in and of themselves, but not THE answer.

She just had rotten teammates last year on that NC team? And you also downplayed Saniya's "less critical" minutes when actually she played some important minutes when KML was out, like the 27 minute and 16 point effort against PSU. Both players also had big stretches of minutes in less pressure packed situations, but that's not a great reason to try to throw out the stats and say you just have a gut feeling that Saniya won't be next year's soph surprise.

I didn't say throw out stats. Simply that you can't rely on them completely, as they are only a piece of evaluation.

Hey, I hope Saniya proves me wrong and becomes an All American next year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Again, we can all just go off our impressions. I can also remember a huge number of great dishes that Saniya has made, some even when she's around the basket. So what does it all prove? Your hot potato memory or my steamed taters on a nice dish?

That's why I like real numbers.

But which one tastes better? That's what we are looking at here, and their are no numbers to quantify that. Same way when evaluating players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I think she, actually, may over value the rock to the point of not taking reasonable risks. What a great position to be in. It is easier to loosen the reins than to go the other direction. Many freshmen struggle seeing and understanding the flows of the UCONN offense organically. They most often make TOs forcing it out of time and out of position. Saniya has not done that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So then it is a great unknown, and "our girl" Saniya will be left to fulfill her own destiny, no matter what ceiling we choose to place on it.

However, that it is "futile" to compare anyone to Stewie just on growth is just off the mark. Clearly, MoJeff had a much larger proportional leap from her freshman year to her soph year than did Stewie. Sure Stewie is far more consistent and skilled now and is considered by many to be the best player in the country, but that is still much less of a leap from last year's NCAA MOP to this year than MoJeff's quieter presence as a frosh to this year's position as the most versatile PG in the country. Argue you what you want and ignore all the stats that are so uninformative to you, but you are simply wrong in saying that Stewie made the bigger leap this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Saniya is a freshman and has had classic freshman struggles not unlike what Moriah went through last year. Moriah came back this year a completely different player in terms of confidence and has had a really stupendous year. Can Saniya make the same transition - yes. It appears that her problems are very similar to Moriah's were - confidence - and that is an easier issue to correct than talent. The game has slowed down for Moriah, hopefully it will for Saniya, and we will see next year.
I did find it interesting that Leslie chose Chong as a player to comment on - no idea what the context was is preparing this piece, but Saniya would not have been the first player I would have chosen to write about for someone with out an obvious CT connection.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
No one said anything about being as good as Stewie flat out (myself included). The first poster says says, "If Saniya gets the same soph boost as Breanna..."

So that person brought up Stewie's growth. I contend that Stewart's jump was significant, mainly because she's a rare player. And I replied that comparing her to Stewie (in that light was inferred) is not realistic. Hardly out on a limb there.

My argument was that MoJeff's and Stewart's and Mojeff's jumps are unusual. The vast majority of UConn players don't make that big of a jump. With MoJeff we are talking about average sub to damn near AA status (probably should be). In one year. How many others have done that (your words were "many other Huskies")?

Look I get that it's an "our girl" thing, but I'm just trying to evaluate a basketball player.

There is no perfect empirical system. But stats are often laid down as, "there it is. there's the proof. That's all we have to go on." That's a cop out to me. In reality, stats are one of several lenses. I don't say throw them out, but they are only a piece of the picture. People often don't like that because it's a grey area. And grey areas are uncomfortable. Again, for example, the stats (facts) say DT's senior year was good, but not other wordly. Yet when watching, taking into account all factors, it wasn't hard to tell that DT was the best player in the country.

Stats are facts in and of themselves, but not THE answer.

I didn't say throw out stats. Simply that you can't rely on them completely, as they are only a piece of evaluation.

Hey, I hope Saniya proves me wrong and becomes an All American next year.
Again with the sweeping statements like "stats don't prove" everything to discount that they should be used is just a plain cop out. Stats and facts are all we have to work with, and though they cannot prove everything, they are decent marker as to a player's level. You are free to base your judgments on vague beliefs, but still in the real world most of us will try to work with the stats.

And again, you stated flatly that it is "futile" to compare anyone to Stewie. If you meant in ability, then it is a WTF point to insert into the discussion. If you meant as to whether Stewie's rise from last year's MOP and status as for certain people the best player in the WCBB (I'll raise my hand on that one) to this year's status as again the best damned player in the WCBB was far better than MoJeff's stupendous jump this year, I'm sorry, you're flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
Saniya is a freshman and has had classic freshman struggles not unlike what Moriah went through last year. Moriah came back this year a completely different player in terms of confidence and has had a really stupendous year. Can Saniya make the same transition - yes. It appears that her problems are very similar to Moriah's were - confidence - and that is an easier issue to correct than talent. The game has slowed down for Moriah, hopefully it will for Saniya, and we will see next year.
I did find it interesting that Leslie chose Chong as a player to comment on - no idea what the context was is preparing this piece, but Saniya would not have been the first player I would have chosen to write about for someone with out an obvious CT connection.

Not in everyone's case, take Kiah for example. Still waiting on her to correct her lack of offensive confidence.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not in everyone's case, take Kiah for example. Still waiting on her to correct her lack of offensive confidence.
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak