Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship

Reaction Score
It appears Gilbert was sick (Covid perhaps) and didn't play at all in the tournament. Ogden played sparingly in the tournament and not at all in last night's game while Nivar played 8 minutes.

Some of us questioned the guard selection. Who knows what Gilbert could have provided but the coach didn't have confidence in the guards on the bench last night.
Gilbert and Nichols were the two players on the USA roster that didn't play at all in the tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought the best player on the court tonight was Canada’s Tyanna Todd out of Bradenton Academy in FL. She kept the pressure on the US all game and hit some bombs from 3. Todd is a big time talent heading to BC.
I was impressed with Todd as well. I loved her aggressiveness. :cool: It was fun to follow the team throughout the tournament.

Question….can Brady now join the rest of the team on campus? I know NCAA rules mandate that you must be enrolled in summer school classes to participate in team workouts during this time.

Was Brady perhaps taking classes on-line until she arrIves on campus? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Todd as well. I loved her aggressiveness. :cool:
I also thought Todd was impressive along with players committed to Arizona, Duke and Iowa State. The player that really caught my eye, though, was Marah Dykstra. At 6'2 she handles the ball well, shoots it well and passes it like a point guard. To top it off, she's just extremely active.

The way I judge players these days is to ask if they're good enough to play for my beloved, perpetually rebuilding Vanderbilt Commodores. Well, Dykstra would likely be the most talented player on Vandy's team...and, she's going to Montana State. That one puzzles me a bit.

I also found myself from time to time comparing her to Chloe Kitts, a player I greatly admire. For this one game, at least, I thought Dykstra was the better overall player. In fairness to Kitts, the USA guards did a very poor job of sharing the ball or even attempting it. I like Dykstra enough that I'll add Montana State to my teams of interest this season.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Kitts, the USA guards did a very poor job of sharing the ball or even attempting it. I like Dykstra enough that I'll add Montana State to my teams of interest this season.
I was also disappointed in the USA guard play. I suppose in All star teams where there isn't much time to practice together, the guard play will be the last thing to develop. It's the most complicated piece. Rice and Jones, and Nivar too, played wonderfully at times, but they were not often floor leaders or great distributors of the ball, and even struggled occasionally just to get the ball up the floor against Canada.

Reaction Score
Our guards, Rice and Jones, played 40 minutes each. Were both players out sick guards ?
I saw one comment that Kailyn Gilbert ( future Arizona ) and S'Mya Nichols (Shawnee
Mission West H.S. , class of 2023) were both in the " health and safety protocol ".
No playing time, but they did get their gold metals at the ceremony. Thus,
both Kiki and Londynn Jones ( both UCLA to be) were forced to play a full 40 minutes in the Final
against Canada. Even though Ashlynn Shade ( UCONN , H.S. Class of 2023) is more
of a Shooting Guard, I would have loved to have seen her make the USA team
and have been available for some Guard minutes. A double missed opportunity!

Reaction Score
What is the website that has the box scores and stats? When I go on USA Basketball, it flips into 2018. What's up with that? And no box scores. What am I doing wrong?
try the FIBA website, consider FIBA U 18 Women's Basketball, Americas, 2022. From
the home page, I think, the best route is to go to
Schedule to see You Tube replays, or TEAM ( select USA after clicking on "team" )
and also look at STATS which leads to all sorts of options by " team" or by
"individual".
As an aside , consider looking at the DOUBLE OVERTIME win
of Argentina over Brazil in the consolation game for # 3 ranking. It was not
available the last time I looked, but " pending" . It should also be available
in the future by googling the game ( eg. ARGENTINA FIBA Basketball
Women, 2022 vs Brazil, June 19, 2022) or some variant of that. Good Luck!
Another aside: July 5 is the start of GlobLJam in Toronto, Canada. A. Edwards
was invited as one of 15 Canadian players for that tournament. The
teams will include Canada, France, Belgium, and the USA ( represented by
Virginia Commonwealth University, which tends to have a history of
multiple Canadian Players on their squad ) Cheers, Z

Reaction Score
I also thought Todd was impressive along with players committed to Arizona, Duke and Iowa State. The player that really caught my eye, though, was Marah Dykstra. At 6'2 she handles the ball well, shoots it well and passes it like a point guard. To top it off, she's just extremely active.

The way I judge players these days is to ask if they're good enough to play for my beloved, perpetually rebuilding Vanderbilt Commodores. Well, Dykstra would likely be the most talented player on Vandy's team...and, she's going to Montana State. That one puzzles me a bit.

I also found myself from time to time comparing her to Chloe Kitts, a player I greatly admire. For this one game, at least, I thought Dykstra was the better overall player. In fairness to Kitts, the USA guards did a very poor job of sharing the ball or even attempting it. I like Dykstra enough that I'll add Montana State to my teams of interest this season.
I agree about the "sharing the ball" issue. However perhaps the USA coaching staff was
aware the Canada was shooting better ( % wise ) on their FG % and 3 pt % and
choose to " drive the lane" to get lay ups, fouls, free throws, or to allow Kitts and
VanSlooten, both 6' 3", to get put backs and/ or pass for second chance points.
They each had ++ offensive rebound stats and, of course, Ice Brady was having
a feast day = going for 14 defensive rebounds and one offensive rebound ( tying
a USA U 18 Americas record in the process ; 15 rebounds in one game ).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since team sessions I think only last till end of june, I wonder if Ice will spend some time in Storrs to get some individual instruction?

Reaction Score

1) Re Hylton (commit to Arizona). She was great defensively, but ice cold offensively yesterday. Was 0-10 from the field with all her points were at the FT line (7-11). Some of those conversions would have made a difference for sure.

2) Re Dystkra, as she's a 2022, I'm chalking her commitment to Montana State as due to COVID. Recruiting for kids from Canada was hampered big time. She's from Alberta and Montana is directly south of this province. It's very likely they've been interested in her from the start and the proximity from home helped too.

Reaction Score
I loved Brady's play in the tournament but was extremely disappointed in the TV coverage. I understand in the tournament a majority of the teams are Spanish speaking and thatit was televised from Argentina. However both the semi's and the championships had 3 of the 4 teams that were not Spanish speaking yet there was no ability to get a decent translation or English speaking alternative. I suppose, however, that those here who have always hated the game announcers were just fine turning the sound off :D

Reaction Score
I loved Brady's play in the tournament but was extremely disappointed in the TV coverage. I understand in the tournament a majority of the teams are Spanish speaking and thatit was televised from Argentina. However both the semi's and the championships had 3 of the 4 teams that were not Spanish speaking yet there was no ability to get a decent translation or English speaking alternative. I suppose, however, that those here who have always hated the game announcers were just fine turning the sound off :D

I've wondered the same as this has been the case for most of the Americas tournaments from what I've watched over the years. I'm curious as to whether it's a budget issue as I've noticed the FIBA World's seem to have English broadcasters, or at least they had them last year during the U19 tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand the dynamics of hosting a tournament in Argentina and of course broadcasting them in Spanish. However…………if possible, it would be nice to humor the portion of your audience that is not Spanish speaking. I still enjoyed the games though.

Reaction Score
Despite years of spanish classes I was only able to understand one word in ten so I liked it because normally I spend too much energy finding all the errors in the coverage and at least to me there were none, for a change. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Post tournament interview with Ice

The San Diego native and McDonald’s All-American has been dreaming about being a Husky since she watched Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck lead UConn to four straight national championship titles.

“Just seeing the culture and the winning mentality that they had, it was just something that I fell in love with and wanted to be a part of,” Brady said.

She didn’t plan on committing early, but after talking with coach Geno Auriemma on the phone, in which he told her she had “a little Husky” in her, she decided to fly out to Connecticut and see the campus for herself. It didn’t take long for her to know that that was where she wanted to be.

“Before going out to Connecticut my sophomore year, I didn’t even have an offer,” she said. “Obviously it was like my dream school so I was really excited talking to him (Auriemma) but I don’t even think he knew how much, I mean he probably had an idea but, I don’t think he knew how much I wanted to go to his school. …

and once back at Storrs this summer

“I just want to be a sponge, absorb as much as I can. Learn as much as I can,” she said. “Take it all in, the highs and lows, the good and bad and just give it my all.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom