Lindy's preseason top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lindy's preseason top 25

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Good points by all. I agree with the Stanford statement. They should be #1 until someone beats them. Arizona and Texas should be on there but who you take off. FGCU and South Florida? This shows that there are a lot of good teams in WCBB this season.
I believe there are 3 great teams in WCBB and about 25 good teams. The gap between the top 3 and anyone you want to put at #4 is huge. Any #4 would only have a punchers chance at beating the top 3. candidates for #4 would be Maryland, Arizona, Michigan, Oregon, Baylor (on the back of Smith alone), and Louisville. After the top ten I could use a coin toss to decide pre-season rankings and be as right as any analyst.

Reaction Score
Since when has Lindy's gotten out of making Italian Ice and into Basketball Rankings?

1631801302741.png

Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see if Duke is a top 25 team this year. Would be disappointed if they weren't.

Reaction Score
Just goes to illustrate that anyone with a Netscape account, a 386 processor and oxygen can post one of these polls.

Lindy's analyzes MCBB, and they have always had (and presumably still do?) a season-preview issue. In the 100-200 page issue, they'd have 1 page (if that) for WCBB.
So they're not some random person, but they do have little interest or expertise in WCBB.

Reaction Score
The fact that Arizona isn’t on here at all stood out to me the most lol. How does a Final Four team only lose two essential replace both (verdict not out yet on McDonald) and still isn’t ranked in the top 25? I’m interested in seeing the rest of the polls now because this one is far off.

They were a 3 seed (so they were considered #9-12 ranked) and they lost their best best player by far. I havent looked closely at what they have returning/added, but if I did rank them it probably wouldnt be higher than 20th.

Reaction Score
They were a 3 seed (so they were considered #9-12 ranked) and they lost their best best player by far. I havent looked closely at what they have returning/added, but if I did rank them it probably wouldnt be higher than 20th.
I think they’re definitely top 25 and maybe even top 15. Love is a terrific addition I think she could shoulder some of the scoring load this year and make McDondald’s departure a little less impactful. Chavez provides them with some shooting. They lose Baptiste but brought in a bigger post in Copeland and that will allow Reese to slide to the 4 her natural position. Thomas is also back along with Pellington and Yeaney. I don’t think they’ll be as bad off as some might think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know they lost Collier, but maybe Texas should be getting some more buzz after their Tourney run last year, and a guy on the sideline who obviously knows how to coach.
I agree - although they lost Collier and Taylor they also add in some talented frosh and have had a non-Covid off-season/summer to gel into Vic's system.
I agree and do think AZ should be ranked in the 20-25 range to begin at least

I also think NC State should be higher than both UL and Baylor, considering they return everyone and add Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes... also where is Georgia? - I always enjoy seeing different published perspectives on rankings, even if they do seem ludicrous at times as they spark these conversations

Reaction Score
I agree with what most have said: The BIG 3 of S.Carolina,Stanford,and UConn are clearly above the rest. The #4 team could be any of 10 others at least.
Georgia should be on here and FSU is ranked too highly(they lost their top 2 players to graduation).
FGCU could be a very dangerous team this year and Texas will find a way on here. The out-of-conference tournaments will provide a clearer picture of where teams stand initially.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see if Duke is a top 25 team this year. Would be disappointed if they weren't.

You wouldn't be the only one disappointed.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
In between the season, Stanford should be #1 until they get defeat. But in starting a new season this will never be the case unless you are really strong and should be #1.
This is a prediction of "next" year...not a look back on last year.

Reaction Score
Georgia had some ugly games last season, struggled to put the ball in the basket, and there not a great shooting team, also with all the seniors coming back it will probably prevent Richardson and Hollingshead from seeing the court. With South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas A&M already ranked I can see why UGA didn’t make it.

Reaction Score
This is a prediction of "next" year...not a look back on last year.
I know that. I am in response to some people think Stanford should be #1 for the new season.

Reaction Score
It’s okay guys, Lindy’s isn’t the law. The only poll that matters is the Boneyard Preseason Top 25 where hope springs eternal and loonies like me rank the most obscure mid-major they can find that might have a promising season. California Baptist, Idaho State, and Buffalo, I’m looking at you!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
It’s okay guys, Lindy’s isn’t the law. The only poll that matters is the Boneyard Preseason Top 25 where hope springs eternal and loonies like me rank the most obscure mid-major they can find that might have a promising season. California Baptist, Idaho State, and Buffalo, I’m looking at you!
CBU---> Go Lancers!!

Reaction Score
I believe there are 3 great teams in WCBB and about 25 good teams. The gap between the top 3 and anyone you want to put at #4 is huge. Any #4 would only have a punchers chance at beating the top 3. candidates for #4 would be Maryland, Arizona, Michigan, Oregon, Baylor (on the back of Smith alone), and Louisville. After the top ten I could use a coin toss to decide pre-season rankings and be as right as any analyst.

i think folks are sleeping
I agree - although they lost Collier and Taylor they also add in some talented frosh and have had a non-Covid off-season/summer to gel into Vic's system.

I agree and do think AZ should be ranked in the 20-25 range to begin at least

I also think NC State should be higher than both UL and Baylor, considering they return everyone and add Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes... also where is Georgia? - I always enjoy seeing different published perspectives on rankings, even if they do seem ludicrous at times as they spark these conversations

My guess is Arizona is going to be good every year now regardless of top end talent, but we will see.

I feel like NC State should be 4 and is underratedthey play defense.

I wasn't huge on UGA last year as high end team but I do not see how you can't put them in top 25. They should be better.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
When they're not UConn...?
Because you have to bring UConn into a post about Stanford, we must really live in your head. Sorry, not sorry.

Reaction Score
Because you have to bring UConn into a post about Stanford, we must really live in your head. Sorry, not sorry.
Actually, it's a thread about rankings and UConn is always "in the head of" people who rank wbb teams.

Do I think Lindy's overranked UConn at No.1? Meh, not really. They deserve it as much as anyone - except perhaps the defending champion. Do I think UConn gets overranked almost every year just because they are UConn? Well, if they "only" made the final four when ranked 1 or 2 in the preseason, one could say "yeah, they were probably overranked." Is there anything wrong with it? No. UConn is UConn. The gold standard that the rest of us chase.

But to me the champ, Stanford should be #1 until they are knocked off their pedestal. They earned it. Let 'em keep the honor (amd that's all a preseason ranking is) until they lose at least one game.

Reaction Score
Actually, it's a thread about rankings and UConn is always "in the head of" people who rank wbb teams.

Do I think Lindy's overranked UConn at No.1? Meh, not really. They deserve it as much as anyone - except perhaps the defending champion. Do I think UConn gets overranked almost every year just because they are UConn? Well, if they "only" made the final four when ranked 1 or 2 in the preseason, one could say "yeah, they were probably overranked." Is there anything wrong with it? No. UConn is UConn. The gold standard that the rest of us chase.

But to me the champ, Stanford should be #1 until they are knocked off their pedestal. They earned it. Let 'em keep the honor (amd that's all a preseason ranking is) until they lose at least one game.
You and I think about this stuff way differently. The Stanford team that ended the season ranked #1 will always be #1 for that season. That is how we honor that makeup of players and coaches and circumstances that led to their title run. This is a new season, the teams aren't the same and the slate is clean. Thus, in my mind, Stanford will have to earn their ranking as much as any other team. To me, this is more about forecasting than anything else. It's trying to predict the outcomes and has nothing to do with any honor system.

So, with your logic should the rest of the top 25 stay static until this season. I mean, Arizona earned the #2 spot, so should the polls honor it in the preseason polls despite any other factors?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Atlon has issued it's college basketball edition and there is no mention of WCBB anywhere in the magazine. I looked through it three times and could not find anything on WCBB. I suppose the women's game is not important to them, unless I missed it.

Reaction Score
You and I think about this stuff way differently. The Stanford team that ended the season ranked #1 will always be #1 for that season. That is how we honor that makeup of players and coaches and circumstances that led to their title run. This is a new season, the teams aren't the same and the slate is clean. Thus, in my mind, Stanford will have to earn their ranking as much as any other team. To me, this is more about forecasting than anything else. It's trying to predict the outcomes and has nothing to do with any honor system.

So, with your logic should the rest of the top 25 stay static until this season. I mean, Arizona earned the #2 spot, so should the polls honor it in the preseason polls despite any other factors?
Nope. Just the champ. To be da champ, somebody gotta' beat da champ.

After all, preseason rankings are worthless anyway ( see Georgia football). I leave the champ in first until somebody proves them unworthy.

With that said, it's been five years since there was a back-to-back champion but there have been many in WBB (mostly UConn of course)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom