Lincoln Millstein’s Opinion: UConn football’s shame (Hearst) | The Boneyard

Lincoln Millstein’s Opinion: UConn football’s shame (Hearst)

Reaction Score
Timing is everything (especially when you can control it) ;)

“Lincoln Millstein is a 1977 graduate of UConn and retired senior vice president of Hearst Corp., which owns this newspaper.”

Backdoor read

Reaction Score
These are the same people who (in the 1980s) thought we should leave Big East basketball because it was too difficult. Now they all cling to the ZBE because it's easier than the American. Losers will always be losers.

Reaction Score
For one whining about brand, you’d think she’d understand that football drives brand and $$ and receding from FBS is to recede from a national flagship status. These people wring their hands about money when the the vast bulk of spending is high priced university personnel and employees under generous union contracts. Tack on a bloated administration and you have your answers on profligate spending. Clueless.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How much money did he donate to the program? Doesn't sound like he's been to a game in decades.

Anyone discussing money needs to do two things. Acknowledge the CR screw job and donate. Otherwise I don't want to hear it.

Reaction Score
Millstein wrote:

Had I been at the news conference I would have followed Edsall with these questions:

“Do you feel an obligation to represent the university as other than just a cash-sucking hole with no future?

“What do you have to say to students on campus on financial aid?

“How do you feel about having only 10,000 fans show up at a home game?” (Memorial Stadium during the Yankee Conference days drew more than UConn does now in East Hartford.)

I'd bet $10 million he wouldn't have the guts to ask either of the first two questions, and $9 million he wouldn't have the guts to ask the third.

By the way, Millstein wrote he was sports editor of the Daily Campus in the spring of 1971. The tag line says he graduated in 1977. Was he on the John Blutarsky seven-year plan>

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Timing is everything (especially when you can control it) ;)

“Lincoln Millstein is a 1977 graduate of UConn and retired senior vice president of Hearst Corp., which owns this newspaper.”

Backdoor read

Sounds like one of those people who kicks people off of his lawn

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How much more piling on can any writer do? We already know. We're currently a bad bad team. I still believe we have a much brighter future
As a Fed lawyer in Hartford when Milstein was a scrub reporter with the local edition of the Courant he did a really unprofessional story after which I decided never to help him with information unless I had no choice. And I’m a defender of the free press.

Reaction Score

What the heck is he talking about? In the 70's there was no weekend meal plan and we cooked on a 2 burner hotplate in the laundry room on weekends. $20 for food all weekend was all I had at times. Now students on campus have weekend meals and quality of food that would put what we got in the cafeterias to shame. This guy is a DINGUS.

Reaction Score
How much more piling on can any writer do? We already know. We're currently a bad bad team. I still believe we have a much brighter future

Comes off as a snarky weasel who doesn't have his facts straight in a number of places. So many trite comments he sounded as if he had his thesaurus at his side to help him produce catchy phrases.
“What do you have to say to students on campus on financial aid?
Edsall responds, "well, we're hoping some of our stellar alums in the media will start donating more and misrepresenting less".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only a would write,

There is a place and time for righteous indignation

and then provide readers with nothing but the same.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Lincoln Millstein?
Perhaps the finest touring car of the 1930s.

1571698328987.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom