Leon Fleisher RIP | The Boneyard

Leon Fleisher RIP

Reaction Score
The magnificent pianist Leon Fleisher died the other day. He was 92.

Tragically, he lost the use of his right hand for decades. Nonetheless, he played music (there is such) for only the left hand. He also conducted.

Eventually, he regained the use of his right hand, and played "standard" piano repertoire again.

I have recordings. He was one of the great pianists of the 20th century. And his courage should inspire all.

Reaction Score
I have his recording of the five Beethoven Concerti. Absolutely sublime. I always wondered, however, why pianists historically lost only the ability to play with their right hand, and it happened for centuries. Both Brahms and Ravel write wonderful pieces for the left hand, but nothing that I know of has been composed just for the right.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have his recording of the five Beethoven Concerti. Absolutely sublime. I always wondered, however, why pianists historically lost only the ability to play with their right hand, and it happened for centuries. Both Brahms and Ravel write wonderful pieces for the left hand, but nothing that I know of has been composed just for the right.
I too have those recordings. Interestingly so many of the post WW2 American pianists developed right hand issues or died tragically. Gary Graffman, Leon Fleisher, William Kapell died in a plane crash and Byron Janis developed severe arthritis in both hands. Recently Mischa Dichter had surgery to restore his right hand after suffering through a genetic disease. So tragic. When you listen to their early recordings, especially Kapell, you hear the genius that might have been. Of course, the story of how Schumman destroyed his right hand is legendary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And there is the tragedy of Dinu Lipatti.

And there is the magnificent violinist Josef Hassid, my favorite violinist.

Reaction Score
Fleisher was also a highly influential teacher, particularly at Peabody Conservatory, where the students adored him. He was a larger than life figure in many ways; a “Geno” of classical music.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And there is the tragedy of Dinu Lipatti.

And there is the magnificent violinist Josef Hassid, my favorite violinist.
Of course one of my favorite violinists, Michael Rabin.

Reaction Score
And Ginette Neveu, who died so young in a plane crash. It was said she was found hugging her violin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom