OT: - Leaderboard link Women's British Open...starts early Thursday | The Boneyard

OT: Leaderboard link Women's British Open...starts early Thursday

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Last major of the year...playing at Muirfield Golf Course...reputedly the oldest course in the world [1744].
It is in the rotation for the men's Open....first time ever for the women...decidedly a step up.

TV coverage: our time:

Thursday and Friday
6:00 AM to 1:00 PM USA channel

Saturday and Sunday
8:00 AM to 12:00 USA
12:00 to 3:00 NBC

The weather for the men's Scottish Open [lead-up to British Open] and the Open itself was quite moderate.
The weather for the women's Scottish Open last week was also moderate.
Not near the nasty weather you expect over there. Scores were very low..to be expected in those conditions.
[Last week's winner in the women's Scottish Open went for a 10 under 62 on Sunday and finished at 21 under.]

I hope the women find a more usual weather greeting this week...makes for entertaining viewing albeit
higher scores.
tougher for the players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember the year (can’t remember the course) that the wind was blowing the balls off the green but they wouldn’t halt play. Hoping for a some challenging weather. If not, like you said, players will have no problem going way under par.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
after 36 holes...conditions have again been moderate...leading to good scoring.
8 under leads...best Americans Tied for 11th...5 back. First page pretty tight with many
international players there...many of them Asian...not a surprise.

Reaction Score
after 36 holes...conditions have again been moderate...leading to good scoring.
8 under leads...best Americans Tied for 11th...5 back. First page pretty tight with many
international players there...many of them Asian...not a surprise.
Good job, Blake and, as always, thanks!

At the 36-hole point, I'd bet on either In Gee Chun or Minjee Lee to win. Both have the majors chops to maintain their level of play although, as you said, there's a crowd there of topflight talent.

Just one note: Muirfield makes no claim to being the oldest course. That honor goes to St. Andrew's by hundreds of years, and others such as Musselburgh might be older than Muirfield, too, right in the same neighborhood as Muirfield. However, the club at Muirfield, known even back in 1744 as The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, is documented as the first golf club.

I've been fortunate to play North Berwick and Gullane, both Top 100 courses and right down the road from Muirfield, and have visited both Muirfield and what remains of Musselburgh.

Thanks again for looping us in on the major golf action, Blake.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Well...some British weather finally kicked in on Sunday....significant wind.
Ashleigh Buhai [South African] had a 5 shot lead at 14 under after 54 holes
and was pretty much holding her own with a 3 shot lead on 15. Butchered 15 with a triple bogey and wound up
up in a tie with I Gee Chun [3 time major win at 23]....at 10 under.

Sudden death playoff....on 4th hole Buhai wins it with a par. At 33 her first LPGA win....just a tad emotional at the end....a career changer. No real rooting interest here but was glad she won't take the 15th hole to her grave.

No American in the chase on the weekend....not a good event for the USA.

Reaction Score
I thought she was toast after the triple. Glad she held it together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom