Last Year's UConn - South Carolina Game: Liv vs. Boston | The Boneyard

Last Year's UConn - South Carolina Game: Liv vs. Boston

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the South Carolina game from last year, which UConn lost by a score of 70-52. If you don't recall that game (as I didn't), the first quarter was awful offensively for UConn, and only a bit better for the Gamecocks. It ended with Dawn's troops up by a score of 11-2. That's right -- UConn only scored 2 points in that entire quarter. There were plenty of open shots, which obviously were missed. UConn was 1-for-16 from the floor in that quarter. After that start, the Huskies were playing catch-up. They lost each of the last 3 quarters, but by small margins: 3, 1, and 5 points respectively.

I was focusing on the Olivia - Boston battle. Boneyarders seem to think reflexively (particularly after Liv has a bad game) that Boston did dominate Liv in that game, and will again do the same thing again on Monday evening. In fact, looking at the box score, they were pretty even in last year's game:

Offensive rebounds: Liv 7, Boston 6
Total rebounds: Liv 9, Boston 12
Blocks: Liv 3, Boston 2
Fouls: Liv 5 (she fouled out with 1:15 left in the game after playing 39 minutes), Boston 1 officially (I'm sure I saw 2 in the replay) over 37 minutes
Assists: Liv 4, Boston 1
Turnovers: Liv 3, Boston 2

In totality, these stats do not indicate that either player dominated the other. Based on my "eye test" after watching the replay, I did not think that either player dominated the other either. Liv won the opening tip and got 2 or 3 offensive rebounds that Boston contested. She did not score directly against Boston in the low post (although she missed a couple of layups after getting free from her). Boston only scored once against Liv in a 1-on-1 situation, and that was from about 8 feet away in the paint.

In the first quarter, UConn's sagging man-to-man defense made it impossible for the Gamecocks to get the ball to Boston in the low post, and her only score was on her first 3-point shot of the entire season. After that, Dawn moved Boston out away from the basket, and that worked much better. It allowed her to sink some short jump shots, and opened up driving lanes for her teammates.

Despite all that, UConn had a 24-18 advantage in points in the paint for the game, a 17-15 edge in offensive rebounds (despite SC being the best offensive rebounding team in the country), and only a 9-6 deficit in second-chance points. South Carolina did not win the game by out-muscling UConn or Olivia under the boards.

The Gamecocks won the game with their outside shooting (8-for-22 from deep as opposed to UConn's 4-for-17). Overall, their jump shooting was much better than UConn's, and it was those shots that made the big difference in the game. SC also had much more balanced scoring with four players in double figures scoring a total of 57 points. UConn got 25 points from Crystal Dangerfield, and 10 each from Megan and Liv. However, Christyn was 2-for-12 and Anna was 0-for-5, which meant that the UConn players who should have been as productive as Herbert-Harrigan and Cooke were not. That's why UConn lost by such a convincing margin.

Geno only played 6 players in the entire game. Aubrey, the only player off the bench, scored 2 points and got 3 rebounds. Certainly one should expect that to be different this year.

I think Boneyarders' panic about Liv being owned by Boston in the upcoming game is unjustified and borders on the hysterical.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the South Carolina game from last year, which UConn lost by a score of 70-52. If you don't recall that game (as I didn't), the first quarter was awful offensively for UConn, and only a bit better for the Gamecocks. It ended with Dawn's troops up by a score of 11-2. That's right -- UConn only scored 2 points in that entire quarter. There were plenty of open shots, which obviously were missed. UConn was 1-for-16 from the floor in that quarter. After that start, the Huskies were playing catch-up. They lost each of the last 3 quarters, but by small margins: 3, 1, and 5 points respectively.

I was focusing on the Olivia - Boston battle. Boneyarders seem to think reflexively (particularly after Liv has a bad game) that Boston did dominate Liv in that game, and will again do the same thing again on Monday evening. In fact, looking at the box score, they were pretty even in last year's game:

Offensive rebounds: Liv 7, Boston 6
Total rebounds: Liv 9, Boston 12
Blocks: Liv 3, Boston 2
Fouls: Liv 5 (she fouled out with 1:15 left in the game after playing 39 minutes), Boston 1 officially (I'm sure I saw 2 in the replay) over 37 minutes
Assists: Liv 4, Boston 1
Turnovers: Liv 3, Boston 2

In totality, these stats do not indicate that either player dominated the other. Based on my "eye test" after watching the replay, I did not think that either player dominated the other either. Liv won the opening tip and got 2 or 3 offensive rebounds that Boston contested. She did not score directly against Boston in the low post (although she missed a couple of layups after getting free from her). Boston only scored once against Liv in a 1-on-1 situation, and that was from about 8 feet away in the paint.

In the first quarter, UConn's sagging man-to-man defense made it impossible for the Gamecocks to get the ball to Boston in the low post, and her only score was on her first 3-point shot of the entire season. After that, Dawn moved Boston out away from the basket, and that worked much better. It allowed her to sink some short jump shots, and opened up driving lanes for her teammates.

Despite all that, UConn had a 24-18 advantage in points in the paint for the game, a 17-15 edge in offensive rebounds (despite SC being the best offensive rebounding team in the country), and only a 9-6 deficit in second-chance points. South Carolina did not win the game by out-muscling UConn or Olivia under the boards.

The Gamecocks won the game with their outside shooting (8-for-22 from deep as opposed to UConn's 4-for-17). Overall, their jump shooting was much better than UConn's, and it was those shots that made the big difference in the game. SC also had much more balanced scoring with four players in double figures scoring a total of 57 points. UConn got 25 points from Crystal Dangerfield, and 10 each from Megan and Liv. However, Christyn was 2-for-12 and Anna was 0-for-5, which meant that the UConn players who should have been as productive as Herbert-Harrigan and Cooke were not. That's why UConn lost by such a convincing margin.

Geno only played 6 players in the entire game. Aubrey, the only player off the bench, scored 2 points and got 3 rebounds. Certainly one should expect that to be different this year.

I think Boneyarders' panic about Liv being owned by Boston in the upcoming game is unjustified and borders on the hysterical.
God bless you for having the courage to rewatch that game- i just could not! My searing image from that game is Zia Cooke flexing and stoping the floor on defense as the UCONN players were turtling up like abused wet puppies. Since I don't have the stomach to re-watch that game I trust your assessment, recollections, conclusions and analysis. But here is the thing - Boston is a terrific post and I would expect Liv to struggle against her. You are concluding that she didn't struggle and again I will concede that. What I will not concede or relent on is that Liv SHOULD NOT be struggling against the many lesser post as she continues to do. Liv is in her 3 year of playing at UCONN and I cannot point to a single area where she has improved. Can you? Liv is the only collegiate player that has spent time with the NATIONAL TEAM at FIBA America's cup in 2019. So Liv can hold her own against Boston according to your assessment. She held her own at FIBA americas with Sylvia Fowles, Stephanie Dolson, Elizabeth Williams and Tina Charles. Then she hits the struggle bus against Providence-really?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO folks I expect to see alot of screens pick and rolls and a high low with Liv up top and Edward underneath. I have a really good feeling about this game. We will see tonite against Marquette how we look. I expect SC to pressure the ball and depend on Boston underneath to hold off UConn. With pick and rolls screens and Liv up top I think SC will find it hard to stop UConn. They will have to work hard on defense. We will need Paige and Evina to hit their shots and Christyn to drive to the basket. With that said if Liv hits her 15 fts we will be in great shape.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I don't ever plan on watching any game that we lost. And how either team played last year has no bearing on this year's game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom