Last 4 recruits for Hurley and staff | The Boneyard

Last 4 recruits for Hurley and staff

Reaction Score
Live look at Palatine
83E6F689-0F6C-4B6F-8E12-BD82C92F13D1.png

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The really impressive thing is for all four of those guys, it wasn't clear we were even a realistic landing spot for any of them until the weeks leading up to their commitments.

Reaction Score
In this vast Country with a multitude of high school ballers, to be ranked in the top 10 of your position is astounding. On any given night you are equal or better than the other 9, some who may benefit from better players, coaches and school resources. What I like about Hurley is he seems to be getting good players with foundations to build on for at least 2 years.

Just saying Hurley is hitting home runs!

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
In this vast Country with a multitude of high school ballers, to be ranked in the top 10 of your position is astounding. On any given night you are equal or better than the other 9, some who may benefit from better players, coaches and school resources. What I like about Hurley is he seems to be getting good players with foundations to build on for at least 2 years.

Just saying Hurley is hitting home runs!

I think growing up in the gym around a HOF HS coach, he also has the ability to ID guys who are going to develop into even better players.

How many guys did Calhoun get somewhere between 20 and 50 that ended up being lottery picks?

There is a talent in seeing potential in 17 years old of what they will be like as 20 year olds.

Reaction Score
James Bouknight on Twitter: "Name a better Coach than Coach Hurley!! I’ll wait...." / Twitter

I really believe Christian Vital made Hurley a better coach. I'm not saying Vital as uncoachable, but he did require special handling. As a senior he could frustrate a coach and through his hustle and leadership provide enjoyment. Hurley had to balance restraining him (jacking up shots at will), harness his emotions (kid was a fighter at heart, and would over celebrate in-game), temper his over confidence and finally release the reigns (allowing him to be Vital and all that comes with that). Hellava player to work with as a new Coach.

I think many coaches would have butted heads with Vital, but Hurley was a pro and at the end of Vital's career made him a better player leaving than when he arrived. And conversely Vital certainly made Hurley a better coach at the end. The team was clicking, Vital was responding and there was unity among the players.

Another accomplishment was his handling of AG. To bench a senior was a courageous and delicate move. Again other coaches doing that could cause major moral and dissension amoung players. AG was a team leader and elder. I noticed how AG adjusted and then not only thrived, but encouraged Gaffney. If there was resentment he didn't show it, even though it was tough on him. Hurley pulled that off essentially without major issues. Not many coaches can do that with 2 of their best players. Oh and he never lost respect.

Carlton/Whaley is another example, but no need to elaborate, the point is made.

Just saying what Hurley did last season was masterful and Bouknight has every right to be proud.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
I really believe Christian Vital made Hurley a better coach. I'm not saying Vital as uncoachable, but he did require special handling. As a senior he could frustrate a coach and through his hustle and leadership provide enjoyment. Hurley had to balance restraining him (jacking up shots at will), harness his emotions (kid was a fighter at heart, and would over celebrate in-game), temper his over confidence and finally release the reigns (allowing him to be Vital and all that comes with that). Hellava player to work with as a new Coach.

I think many coaches would have butted heads with Vital, but Hurley was a pro and at the end of Vital's career made him a better player leaving than when he arrived. And conversely Vital certainly made Hurley a better coach at the end. The team was clicking, Vital was responding and there was unity among the players.

Another accomplishment was his handling of AG. To bench a senior was a courageous and delicate move. Again other coaches doing that could cause major moral and dissension amoung players. AG was a team leader and elder. I noticed how AG adjusted and then not only thrived, but encouraged Gaffney. If there was resentment he didn't show it, even though it was tough on him. Hurley pulled that off essentially without major issues. Not many coaches can do that with 2 of their best players. Oh and he never lost respect.

Carlton/Whaley is another example, but no need to elaborate, the point is made.

Just saying what Hurley did last season was masterful and Bouknight has every right to be proud.

Absolutely agree. The AG situation is a credit to both Hurley and AG. I wish him a great senior season.

As far as Vital, it is a bummer he didn't have a chance to play for a post season bid. With how they were clicking at the end, an AAC tourney championship wasn't out of the question.

You bring up another great point - Hurley is still learning. I would also throw the Akok injury into the mix as a challenge that Hurley met head on but again, it is a credit to Akok too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom