Lasagna | The Boneyard

Lasagna

Reaction Score
Any place to get a great lasagna? Had a conversation with someone today and i realized i have not had a good lasagna in 20 years. Any local places around Meriden or Hartford recommended?

Reaction Score
If you're in Meriden, try Tuscany in Southington. It's a tiny spot just past Topps Marketplace, next door to TD Bank. They also make a great veal parm.

Reaction Score
If you're in Meriden, try Tuscany in Southington. It's a tiny spot just past Topps Marketplace, next door to TD Bank. They also make a great veal parm.
I know the place. Will check it out asap. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Now I have to think about eating lasagne all day? My wife makes a killer lasagne and once I get going on it I’m probably 5,000 calories in the hole with no shut off mechanism in sight. Forget the salad.

Reaction Score
Any place to get a great lasagna? Had a conversation with someone today and i realized i have not had a good lasagna in 20 years. Any local places around Meriden or Hartford recommended?
Portofino's in Kensington does a great lasagna as well as other Italian entrees.

Reaction Score

Last edited by a moderator:

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
lasagna was our Christmas dinner with a big ole pot of meatballs, pepperoni, hot & sweet sausage with a side of baked mac & cheese & home made bread which was awesome. We're making calzones tonight with the last of the meats tonight. I think I will lay off the Italian for a week or so.
Restaurant lasagna usually disappoints me.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Hmm, now I'm thinking I need to make some. Got some good sauce I made in the freezer... I'm a heathen though, no ricotta.

My tip for tomato based sauces - boxed tomatoes (ie, Pomi).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Viron Rondo in Cheshire

Reaction Score
My mom's house. Best in the tri-state.

Does your Mom use fresh pasta or dried lasagna (e.g. De Cecco)? I make my own pasta but for lasagna I actually prefer the dried pasta? Also, meat or no meat? I am available for dinner, thanks!!

Reaction Score
OK, I'm going to be that guy that ignores the original request (geographic area) and shares more than asked!

The best lasagna (and one of the best dishes) I've ever had is at Don Angie in the West Village. Yes, it's $64 for two people, but oh my it's awesome. They prepare it like a rollatini. Each piece gets nice and crusty with the right amount of filling to pasta.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Homemade and day after is better
Yes on meat
Yes on ricotta
Yes on Roma tomatoes and some lumps left in the sauce.
Indifferent to cheese on whether you make a cheese sauce or go with solid cheese.

Reaction Score
Any toddler can make a lasagna. It's the 2nd laziest order on a menu at an Italian restaurant behind Chicken Parm.
What does a lazy order on a menu at an Italian restaurant mean?

Most Italian restaurants we go to in America offer similar offerings which most people can make at home but most people don't prepare them all that well at home and many Italian restaurants don't either.

If there's things like rabbit, wild boar, squid ink pasta, some hard to find fish on an Italian restaurant I'm probably ordering it but there aren't too many things that taste better than a perfectly prepared pizza, chicken parm, carbonara, cacio e pepe...

Reaction Score
What does a lazy order on a menu at an Italian restaurant mean?

Most Italian restaurants we go to in America offer similar offerings which most people can make at home but most people don't prepare them all that well at home and many Italian restaurants don't either.

If there's things like rabbit, wild boar, squid ink pasta, some hard to find fish on an Italian restaurant I'm probably ordering it but there aren't too many things that taste better than a perfectly prepared pizza, chicken parm, carbonara, cacio e pepe...
You just answered your own question. Every lasagna is in a range from B- to C+. Impossible to screw up. Never as good as other more nuanced dishes. I could list 15 other dishes on any basic Italian menu better than lasagna.

MrP

Reaction Score
Pagliacci’s in Plainville, amazing standard Italian stuff, including lasagna

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger