Kyra Elzy in the Hot Seat? | The Boneyard

Kyra Elzy in the Hot Seat?

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard is an offensive talent, but if she picks and chooses when to play defense....what does Kyra think the rest of the team will do? This program is quickly headed in the wrong direction. Without question I would give her the hook and let Goestenkors take a shot at it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Should be in the hot seat. Even earlier, but Nikki Collen should be as well. Took a miracle today to avoid staring off conference play at 0-3. Still plenty of talent at BU, but there probably won't be after this season.

Reaction Score
Kentucky recruits well and has talent but has extremely suspect coaching. All those transfers you would have thought would give Howard more support, its more of the same, but maybe even worse.

The scary part is her contract runs through 25-26 season.

Reaction Score
Rhyne has been like that her whole career, which drove me nuts when she got POY every year. She’s a talent for sure but the pros will eat her up on defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Should be in the hot seat. Even earlier, but Nikki Collen should be as well. Took a miracle today to avoid staring off conference play at 0-3. Still plenty of talent at BU, but there probably won't be after this season.
Love Elzy as a player and Tennessee alum but Kentucky is a prime example of a team that's less than the sum of its parts. With the players they've had, Kentucky should have been a top 10 team the last couple of years. Rhyne Howard strikes me as more of a "me first" star player which usually leads to underachieving team results (see Arkansas with Dungee), but my guess is Elzy gets another year and will have it be make or break once she's without Howard.

Collen likely is given a few years. It's hard taking over an extremely successful program with a lot of talent returning. There's a certain level of success expected from the returning players, and if they don't buy in to the new philosophy it can wreak havoc on chemistry. We saw it with Mississippi State last year and it looks like there are some troubles in Waco this year. After this year Baylor is seriously depleted for talent and I'm not even sure they're a tournament team unless Collen can nab some transfers and right the ship.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Rhyne has been like that her whole career, which drove me nuts when she got POY every year. She’s a talent for sure but the pros will eat her up on defense.
She'll learn quickly that she needs to play defense if she wants to get on the court so I think she'll improve significantly. If youre long and athletic, defense often comes down to effort and focus, both of which will be demanded from her and I think she'll adjust fine.

Reaction Score
Love Elzy as a player and Tennessee alum but Kentucky is a prime example of a team that's less than the sum of its parts. With the players they've had, Kentucky should have been a top 10 team the last couple of years. Rhyne Howard strikes me as more of a "me first" star player which usually leads to underachieving team results (see Arkansas with Dungee), but my guess is Elzy gets another year and will have it be make or break once she's without Howard.
A&M was better when Carter left so maybe thats the case but there is nothing about Elzy that screams she can coach them up.

Reaction Score
Kentucky recruits well and has talent but has extremely suspect coaching. All those transfers you would have thought would give Howard more support, its more of the same, but maybe even worse.

I would be wrapping pennies to get buyout funds.

Reaction Score
She'll learn quickly that she needs to play defense if she wants to get on the court so I think she'll improve significantly. If youre long and athletic, defense often comes down to effort and focus, both of which will be demanded from her and I think she'll adjust fine.
She can play defense. She just picks and chooses when to do so. Burrell was so wide open 3 times I had to figure out who was guarding her. Howard, on at least one occasion wasn't even on Burrell's side of the court...and KY wasn't switching! On another occasion...Howard wasn't in the tv view. What?!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A&M was better when Carter left so maybe thats the case but there is nothing about Elzy that screams she can coach them up.
Carter's a great example of this too. Also, Tennessee being better without Diamond Deshields.

Elzy's been there 1.5 seasons so I wouldn't throw in the towel yet but I think how Kentucky fares after Howard leaves will be very telling if she's going to stick around for a while or not. The SEC is stacked with good coaches so staying in the top 4-5 will be tough.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That made absolutely no sense when they extended her like that. They were competing with...nobody else for her services.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Kentucky has to be the most maddening team in America. I want to like them, especially given what Howard has to offer, but every time I put Kentucky on my good list, they disappoint. Every time!

Reaction Score
She has barely been the head coach and has yet to even miss the NCAA tournament. In women's basketball when has someone been on the hot seat that quick without losing 90% of their games or something to that extent? She is not on the hot seat

Reaction Score
No way a WCBB team is gonna pull the trigger on a coach after 1 or 2 years (not counting violations/scandals).

Look at Nicki McCray who took a preseason top 10 Miss St team, and they were terrible last year.

Firing a coach costs money, especially with several years remaining on each contract. If either team doesn’t make the NCAAs there will be some grumbles but I don’t see the appetite to pour that much $$$ into wcbb.

Kentucky as part of the rich SEC is probably closer to being willing to eat those costs but not yet.

Reaction Score
I am still on the "No Way. Coach Elzy is not on the Hot Seat" list. Even though they were caught sleeping against Florida. Coach Elzy is the right fit for the Wildcats women's program. Folks forget that she has been there for 10 years, with this being her second year as head coach. She is going to be okay going forward.

Reaction Score
I did not like what I saw in the body language of the players last night on the UK sideline. It did not look like they were showing Coach Elzy a ton of respect.

Reaction Score
I am still on the "No Way. Coach Elzy is not on the Hot Seat" list. Even though they were caught sleeping against Florida. Coach Elzy is the right fit for the Wildcats women's program. Folks forget that she has been there for 10 years, with this being her second year as head coach. She is going to be okay going forward.
Some coaches are better as an assistant than a HC role.

Time will tell on Elzy, but its been extremely underwhelming so far. When Howard leaves, it will tell us a lot more on her. I alluded to Carter at A&M. Sometimes a single player can jeopardize the chemistry and play of a whole team. Hell, look at Florida since Briggs left the team, they look way better in general for some reason.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some coaches are better as an assistant than a HC role.

Time will tell on Elzy, but its been extremely underwhelming so far. When Howard leaves, it will tell us a lot more on her. I alluded to Carter at A&M. Sometimes a single player can jeopardize the chemistry and play of a whole team. Hell, look at Florida since Briggs left the team, they look way better in general for some reason.
Is Briggs departure from the team permanent? She was in the portal last year before deciding to return to Florida. Her name has been removed form the Florida WBB roster. Oops just saw this news

Reaction Score
Getting blowed out by Florida adds a little bit of warmth to someone's seat.
I can't imagine giving someone only 2 years, but I think she's on the clock.

Reaction Score
Is Briggs departure from the team permanent? She was in the portal last year before deciding to return to Florida. Her name has been removed form the Florida WBB roster. Oops just saw this news

That was a weird situation. Briggs almost transferred to Baylor this summer, stayed and now decided to hit the road mid season for Maryland. Florida seems to be better for it though.

Reaction Score
The way LSU is playing, Kentucky will have a free win this weekend. You're welcome.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, how far down the tube is Kentucky willing to let her take them before they make a change? It is early in her tenure, but it just keeps getting worse.

Reaction Score
Well, how far down the tube is Kentucky willing to let her take them before they make a change? It is early in her tenure, but it just keeps getting worse.
Of their remaining 8 games, six are against the bottom half of the conference, so there's still time. But a loss to Vandy is NOT GOOD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom