OT: - Knee replacement ROM measurement | The Boneyard

OT: Knee replacement ROM measurement

Reaction Score
Hey, I had my total knee replacement in September 2020 or almost 16 months ago. My knee bend/flexion is pretty good, knee is usually stiff as day starts, once I loosen it up (I like the sliding seat of a rowing machine to let me hold bend and gradually increase it to my current max) I can get to 130+? I have question mark because it is hard to measure. I have a small goniometer (the hinged protractor thing that measures knee bend angle) but it's a pain in the neck to use & I never am sure I have the hinge at the right spot which effects accuracy of the measure.

I recently learned the I-phone has in Utilities a function called Measure, which when selected has two parts, one indeed to measure distance but another called Level. I'm playing around with it to see if I can use this to measure my knee bend, but so far it is difficult to master. But, I think it has a lot of potential. There are electronic goniometers that measure the slant of the thigh, then uses that as the default, and then the device is placed on the bent tibia, and it measures the difference from1st slant to 2nd slant to get the knee bend measurement. Much easier to use than a manual goniometer but these cost $500-$600. I already own my phone so I'd like to use this instead.

Just wanted to let interested folks know (this small subgroup of knee replacement people) that the phone may be able to measure knee bend pretty easily and accurately if someone can figure out how to use this function.

Reaction Score
130+ is top 1% for knee flexion after total knee replacement.

Congrats. I know you worked very hard for that!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This thread is strictly for Yarders that say knee.

Reaction Score
If anyone has it figured out, please post directions! Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
I had a bilateral knee replacement about 5 years ago. My PT told me that everyone gets hung up on flexion, which is okay within reason, but the real key is being able to fully extend. Can you sit on the floor and flatten out your leg? Extension is underappreciated, but you use it far more - walking, stair climbing, etc.. What do we do that requires flexion beyond 100-degrees? Not as much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom