Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 396 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/fos/status/1600240341709312001?s=46&t=Tyler Phommachanh-MvivnPLGPSED1QjjgZA

Front Office Sports

@FOS

Conference Championship viewership
1f4fa.svg
SEC: 10.89M Big Ten: 10.69M Big 12: 9.41M Pac 12: 6.23M ACC: 3.47M AAC: 2.7M MW: 1.94M MAC: 721K SWAC: 391K Sun Belt: 332K

SEC and B1G led the way in conference championship viewership. What’s impressive about the B1G is that it almost matched the SEC in viewership and one of their participants was Purdue. Just goes to show that B1G teams draw ratings.

The ACC on the other hand…..

Reaction Score
B1G can draw ratings because they are massive schools with (still living) alumni bases of like half a million people. Imagine a B1G game and most of their alumni tune in... you're starting with a viewership of hundreds of thousands without even accounting for non-alumni, casual viewers, etc.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
B1G can draw ratings because they are massive schools with (still living) alumni bases of like half a million people. Imagine a B1G game and most of their alumni tune in... you're starting with a viewership of hundreds of thousands without even accounting for non-alumni, casual viewers, etc.

Not only is the Big10 alumni base massive, they live all over the country. Great for marketing. Finally BIG10 schools are putting money up to get quality coaches. Wisconsin hiring Luke Fickle and Nebraska hiring Matt Ruhle are quality gets. Hopefully it will pay off in the next few years. Now if we can just get Kirk Ferentz at Iowa to hire an actual OC (not his son), they might be something as well.

Reaction Score
Thus Rutgers

Reaction Score
Thus Rutgers
We would draw better than Rutgers. Do people actually watch them? Maybe when they play their "rival" Penn State. They basically won the lotto getting into the B1G. UConn has a better academic pedigree and more athletic success than most of the P5 schools in addition to having a bigger TV market than most of the P5 schools yet we're the red-headed step-child stuck on the island of misfit toys. We're a northern school and have a branch campus whose front yard is the Atlantic Ocean. Guess we're just gonna have to win both basketball national championships again to get any attention.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
We would draw better than Rutgers. Do people actually watch them? Maybe when they play their "rival" Penn State. They basically won the lotto getting into the B1G. UConn has a better academic pedigree and more athletic success than most of the P5 schools in addition to having a bigger TV market than most of the P5 schools yet we're the red-headed step-child stuck on the island of misfit toys. We're a northern school and have a branch campus whose front yard is the Atlantic Ocean. Guess we're just gonna have to win both basketball national championships again to get any attention.

I completely agree. The only issue was back when Rutgers was invited, they had more TV sets to go along with the NYC markets. NJ is top 10 in population and are AAU to boot.

Years ago I wanted UConn in the Big10 and still do. I understand why Rutgers and Maryland was invited then and USC/UCLA are invited now. I just hope if UConn can’t be in the Big10, you all find your way. The Big East has been great for basketball and Olympic sports.

Reaction Score
"For now" just means they are waiting to see if UConn wins its bowl game and the basketball teams win a national championship. If so then we're in!!
How do you come up with these predictions? There are so many teams who want to get into the B10. B10 hasn't even accepted legacy basketball power Kansas yet, and they are AAU member. If UConn gets AAU membership and has a top 30 football team, maybe B10 will seriously consider us. The best chance we have for the near future is ACC. Unless PAC12 falls apart and will take anyone for football only.

Reaction Score
How do you come up with these predictions? There are so many teams who want to get into the B10. B10 hasn't even accepted legacy basketball power Kansas yet, and they are AAU member. If UConn gets AAU membership and has a top 30 football team, maybe B10 will seriously consider us. The best chance we have for the near future is ACC. Unless PAC12 falls apart and will take anyone for football only.
AAU is not a requirement. The requirements are whatever they say they are for the schools they already know they want in.

Reaction Score
AAU is not a requirement. The requirements are whatever they say they are for the schools they already know they want in.
I, like you, would like to see UConn in B10. But Nebraska is the only non AAU university in the B10. They are a former member. Notre Dame, which is not in the B10, may be an exception if they want to join B10. But UConn is not a shoe-in to the B10 especially without an AAU membership. Also, the football team is still not even in the top 50 let alone top 25. UConn is just not a research powerhouse now. It is a much better fit for the ACC.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I believe it's hyperbole

Reaction Score
I, like you, would like to see UConn in B10. But Nebraska is the only non AAU university in the B10. They are a former member. Notre Dame, which is not in the B10, may be an exception if they want to join B10. But UConn is not a shoe-in to the B10 especially without an AAU membership. Also, the football team is still not even in the top 50 let alone top 25. UConn is just not a research powerhouse now. It is a much better fit for the ACC.
I hear ya. I know there's probably a better chance it's 90 degrees tomorrow instead of the snow we're looking at on the ground than us getting into the B1G. The B1G like all of the P5 conferences are filled with dead weight that they are stuck with from a bygone era. If you were starting conferences from scratch today we'd be in one of the big boy conferences. Maybe that's what the P2 should do rather than just breakaway with the existing schools.

Reaction Score
Since it's all gone to hell let's take stock of recent activity:
B1G - It was about markets so B1G added Maryland & Ruttie
SEC - Then it was about football brands so SEC added Oklahoma & Texas
B1G - brands & markets - B16 added UCLA & USC

The only way UCONN is remotely considered by B1G is if B1G and SEC go to like 30 teams each and the ACC is still behind a GOR-wall. But that's, OK. This isn't the same P5 anymore. UCONN's AD is on fire right now, just keep feeding the flame.

Reaction Score
Since it's all gone to hell let's take stock of recent activity:
B1G - It was about markets so B1G added Maryland & Ruttie
SEC - Then it was about football brands so SEC added Oklahoma & Texas
B1G - brands & markets - B16 added UCLA & USC

The only way UCONN is remotely considered by B1G is if B1G and SEC go to like 30 teams each and the ACC is still behind a GOR-wall. But that's, OK. This isn't the same P5 anymore. UCONN's AD is on fire right now, just keep feeding the flame.
The reasons are made up after they decide what schools they want. That's how all of the conferences operate. They tailor the requirements such that only the schools they've decided to invite can qualify which is why it changes every round of realignment. The rest of the process is just a show and done for theater.

Reaction Score

Unless the Fairfield County area switches from the NYC DMA to New Haven-Hartford DMA we have 0 chance of joining the B1G. Even if it did, we have less than 1% chance at this point. So, it’s not looking good.

Reaction Score
Kevin Warren is on record saying AAU membership is not a requirement to join the B1G. Having said that, I think this comment is geared toward the 4 football schools not currently in the P2:

Notre Dame
Florida State
Clemson
Miami

Combined with AAU member Oregon, those are the only 5 major football schools not in the P2.

Reaction Score
Unless the Fairfield County area switches from the NYC DMA to New Haven-Hartford DMA we have 0 chance of joining the B1G. Even if it did, we have less than 1% chance at this point. So, it’s not looking good.
As the cable bundle declines and ala carte cable and streaming become more adopted, DMAs will not be important anymore, but brands will become more important. I like UConn's chances in the future college athletics landscape.

Reaction Score
Kevin Warren is on record saying AAU membership is not a requirement to join the B1G. Having said that, I think this comment is geared toward the 4 football schools not currently in the P2:

Notre Dame
Florida State
Clemson
Miami

Combined with AAU member Oregon, those are the only 5 major football schools not in the P2.
And if Florida State or Clemson leave the ACC, that may provide an opening for UConn, GOR or not.

Reaction Score
And if Florida State or Clemson leave the ACC, that may provide an opening for UConn, GOR or not.
If that opportunity arise, UConn should not agree to any gor that binds us to a conference like the ball and chain that currently exists in the ACC.

Reaction Score
As the cable bundle declines and ala carte cable and streaming become more adopted, DMAs will not be important anymore, but brands will become more important. I like UConn's chances in the future college athletics landscape.

I think you will the see growth of conference networks before individual school streams. Regardless of the service, the SEC and B1G will get the money. We need to get into a P5 conference for long term viability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom