Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 411 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a valid point at the moment. But at some point - and I think it'll be before 2036 - the B1G, SEC, and B12 will have hit a limit on # of teams they'd accept. Let's say all three went to 20 teams, so that's 60 teams getting considerably more money than the ACC and remnants of whatever's left out West.

Let's say all three conferences fill out at 20 members. It would probably look something like this, using some metric on value to determine which teams to choose:

B1G adds: Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford
SEC adds: Clemson, Florida St., Va Tech, Miami
B12 adds: Arizona St, Utah, Ga Tech, Cal, Louisville, NC State, Arizona St., Colorado

That leaves a motley crew of the following remnants of the ACC/Pac12 and others:
From ACC: Pitt, Virginia, Syracuse, BC, Duke, Wake
From Pac12: Oregon St., Wash St.
AAC possibilities/Independents of Note: Army, USF, ECU, Navy, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UConn.

Given I don't know squat, any of the teams mentioned as "adds" may be replaced by another team. But for purposes of this exercise, the number of teams left in the pool and their geography matters more than the specific team.

Logic would suggest that Oregon St. and Washington St. simply join the Mountain West.

That would leave a potential 12 team mostly eastern conference of: Pitt, UVA, Syracuse, BC, Duke, Wake, Temple, Navy, USF, ECU, Memphis and UConn. It's a butt-ugly landing spot, but a conference that should earn a much better contract than the AAC. Maybe it's just a 10 school conference instead of 12 and there are no directionals.

Much as I love UConn, I don't see any way the B1G or B12 takes us given the other options available. So, joining the ACC would not involve exit fees and probably not much in the way of entrance fees. But, during the years that the ACC was still viable, the revenue would be greatly preferable to what we're receiving now.
Largely agree. But the poster I responded to asked why would someone want to play in a league with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. That’s the answer.

I do think our best possible destiny. He is a beast of the rest conference. Moving there would involve exit fees, from the big east, and possibly entrance fees, if it kept itself branded as the ACC.

Reaction Score
It's a valid point at the moment. But at some point - and I think it'll be before 2036 - the B1G, SEC, and B12 will have hit a limit on # of teams they'd accept. Let's say all three went to 20 teams, so that's 60 teams getting considerably more money than the ACC and remnants of whatever's left out West.

Let's say all three conferences fill out at 20 members. It would probably look something like this, using some metric on value to determine which teams to choose:

B12 adds: Arizona St, Utah, Ga Tech, Cal, Louisville, NC State, Arizona St., Colorado

That leaves a motley crew of the following remnants of the ACC/Pac12 and others:
AAC possibilities/Independents of Note: Army, USF, ECU, Navy, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UConn.

Given I don't know squat, any of the teams mentioned as "adds" may be replaced by another team. But for purposes of this exercise, the number of teams left in the pool and their geography matters more than the specific team.

Logic would suggest that Oregon St. and Washington St. simply join the Mountain West.

That would leave a potential 12 team mostly eastern conference of: Pitt, UVA, Syracuse, BC, Duke, Wake, Temple, Navy, USF, ECU, Memphis and UConn. It's a butt-ugly landing spot, but a conference that should earn a much better contract than the AAC. Maybe it's just a 10 school conference instead of 12 and there are no directionals.

Much as I love UConn, I don't see any way the B1G or B12 takes us given the other options available. So, joining the ACC would not involve exit fees and probably not much in the way of entrance fees. But, during the years that the ACC was still viable, the revenue would be greatly preferable to what we're receiving now.
You left out UNC (also ASU twice but assume you meant UA). Doubt Louisville gets picked over UNC in any scenario. Given the still valuable properties left under a 20 team scenario, it's likely that at least 1 goes to 24 (most likely the Big12). In that case, the "last spot" would likely be down to BC, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn or Wake Forest.

Needless to say, under any scenario UConn will be a bubble school. On the plus side, we have a great AD and solid support from state government. I like our chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don’t know if I’d call it butt ugly, it’s not a terrible looking conference. What would be unbelievable is if the Big East merged with these schools for basketball. That would be a pretty nice spot for UConn sports

Reaction Score
You left out UNC (also ASU twice but assume you meant UA). Doubt Louisville gets picked over UNC in any scenario. Given the still valuable properties left under a 20 team scenario, it's likely that at least 1 goes to 24 (most likely the Big12). In that case, the "last spot" would likely be down to BC, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn or Wake Forest.

Needless to say, under any scenario UConn will be a bubble school. On the plus side, we have a great AD and solid support from state government. I like our chances.
I should add that SDSU could also be in the fight for the last spot if the Big12 goes to 24 under the scenario outlined above. That said, I still like our chances.

Reaction Score
Largely agree. But the poster I responded to asked why would someone want to play in a league with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. That’s the answer.

I do think our best possible destiny. He is a beast of the rest conference. Moving there would involve exit fees, from the big east, and possibly entrance fees, if it kept itself branded as the ACC.
It would also involve losing ncaa credits from the big east..and not getting ncca credits from the acc.. along with possibly not getting the full share of the media deal

Reaction Score
It would also involve losing ncaa credits from the big east..and not getting ncca credits from the acc.. along with possibly not getting the full share of the media deal
If the implosion of the ACC happened the remnants would be desperate. All would be waived and full shares to those coming in or the would not have enough teams for a conference.

With that said BE for basketball looks more appetizing.

Let's just win another championship and go to the B12.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Yeah, but not all that bad for top of my head... so replace NC State with UNC, the result is largely the same. And yes, one ASU should be Arizona.

I can't see the logic in any conference going to 24 teams. You'd have a scenario where some number of teams only face each other every third year, even if there were no OOC games. I'd agree with you that if a conference were to try that it would be the B12 as they have fewer rivalries to protect. But it's still unwieldy schedule-wise.

Reaction Score

One thing to remember, there are a number of universities/colleges which have a priority of joining a conference where members are academically strong -- or working toward that strength (such as UConn and USF). The B12 schools look like they don't care much. But others do.

So here is another option. The new ACC: BC, Syracuse, UConn, Army & Navy (both at least football), Pitt, UVA, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgetown (except football or a few ACC football games in the season), Notre Dame (if they want to stay independent and play about five games a year in conference), Tulane, Georgia Tech and USF.

The PAC: Air Force (at least football), SMU, Rice, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal., Oregon State, Wash. State and Utah.

Combine PAC and ACC for a single conference with sports content across three time zones to generate better TV deal.

I don't think the B10 is going to add more schools for a while.

The SEC and B12 can fight over Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Va Tech, NC State, Louisville, etc. UConn may still get an offer from the B12 and eventually the B10.

Notre Dame can play schools in the new ACC PAC combined conference in pro football stadiums.

Reaction Score
I think everybody is forgetting these superleagues are going to be unstable and will try to throw off weak members like a dying star explosively ejects it's own peripheral mass

Reaction Score
I think everybody is forgetting these superleagues are going to be unstable and will try to throw off weak members like a dying star explosively ejects it's own peripheral mass
More likely the most valuable football brands dump the conference concept and break away into an NFL lite league. Everything else stays the same, and perhaps conference realignment trends back towards smaller leagues based around geography once the problem children have been removed from the equation.

Reaction Score
I do think that an NFL model is ultimately in the works.....

Whether to go straight to NFL like divisions and similar playoff.......or leave it open to a G5 for the Cinderella effect....like Cincinnati (who looked good until they hit Alabama and didn't score a TD).

Reaction Score

I'm not going to lie. It moved a little bit when the prospect of an SEC, ACC, or Big 12 Opponent playing in Beaver Stadium at the end of December popped into my head. Bowl games have always been road games for Northern Teams. Seeing that potentially flipped on its head will be glorious.

FYI the water freezes in the bathrooms. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to lie. It moved a little bit when the prospect of an SEC, ACC, or Big 12 Opponent playing in Beaver Stadium at the end of December popped into my head. Bowl games have always been road games for Northern Teams. Seeing that potentially flipped on its head will be glorious.

FYI the water freezes in the bathrooms. Enjoy.

Been to a bowl game where it was 16 degrees....Didn't seem to hamper FSU...

But the coldest I've been was at only 40 degrees, a monsoon rain, and a driving wind. And I was soaked.

The Cotton Bowl vs Texas A&M, the chairs were covered with sheets of ice.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure WVU and Cincy are locked into a GOR with the new Big 12 deal. ACC has screwed themselves with expansion. Their 1st move should have been RU UConn. Right along the Atlantic coast.
I would love to see UConn in the ACC. But would its presence increase the amount paid to members from the TV deal? FSU and Clemson are already complaining about too little cash. A new member may cause more issues. UConn may need to wait for some members to drop out of the conference and then fill the spot.

Reaction Score
I very much doubt the acc wants us…its been 12 years since they raided the big east..and took everyone but us…maybe in 2036 when half the acc leaves..we might get a invite

Reaction Score
Pretty sure WVU and Cincy are locked into a GOR with the new Big 12 deal. ACC has screwed themselves with expansion. Their 1st move should have been RU UConn. Right along the Atlantic coast.

Yeah, Brett Yormark said that all of the Big 12 schools signed a new GORs a few months ago and it lasts through 2031. Also the ACC missed their opportunity in 2021. When rumors that the ACC was looking at Big 12 schools popped up last year (and the rumors turned out to be fact once the Nortn Carolina chancellor and AD emails leaked out) the Big 12 publicly stated that they had no interest in the ACC or Pac-12. Truthfully if you look at what the Big 12 is doing with basketball the ACC should grab UConn and try and do something similar.

Reaction Score
The Super conferences need to have teams that lose games. If you have a lot of teams going 7-5, or 5-7.
You will lose a lot of fans that way, after a few years the money is going down.

Reaction Score
The Super conferences need to have teams that lose games. If you have a lot of teams going 7-5, or 5-7.
You will lose a lot of fans that way, after a few years the money is going down.
No one cares about that. The goal is to print as much money as possible, so you'd rather have the biggest name brands with the biggest followings in your portfolio over ones that win the most often. If winning was a metric that mattered even a little bit, we'd have been one of the most sought after schools over the last couple of decades. No school has hoisted more championship trophies in front of a national TV audience over the last 20 years than UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No one cares about that. The goal is to print as much money as possible, so you'd rather have the biggest name brands with the biggest followings in your portfolio over ones that win the most often. If winning was a metric that mattered even a little bit, we'd have been one of the most sought after schools over the last couple of decades. No school has hoisted more championship trophies in front of a national TV audience over the last 20 years than UConn.

Dead horse meme

FOOTBALL MATTERS MORE!!!!!!!!!!

You do have one part correct though. One would think they wouldn't want to kill the golden goose, over-prune the tree, or whatever metaphor you choose.

However, the the powers that be won't be there when either the tree or goose dies so they are getting theirs and leaving the carcass for someone else to deal with.

Reaction Score
UConn's shot at the ACC was at it's peak at the time that there was a transitioning between basketball and football as the main source of media funding. Once football accounted for 80% of the ESPN contract, the media partner valued teams differently. And as DeFilippo famously said....
"We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. "You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

Swofford has said that the transition took the ACC by surprise. The basketball oriented conference had been making more from basketball and they failed to forsee the ultimate takeover by football in media value.

But, saying that, the foray into the Northeast, with Cuse and BC, has been a football lesson. Yep, Cuse picked up NY cable boxes for the ACCN,,,but neither team was a second base hit.

Reaction Score
It’s killing the SEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom