Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 352 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I feel like this adds a little more smoke to the USC to the Big 10 rumor.

Yeah. The differentials in media money are just too big. I think everyone who's not of the ilk of Alabama, USC, Michigan, theOSU, etc. need to think about what their future is if 40 or so programs break away.

Reaction Score
This is what gives the entire B1G collaboration with the P12 some logic.
Ultimately, we are moving to streaming, so think about this. What if the BTN bought the PAC12 Network and broadcast both Big 10 and Pac 12 games? Lot's of synergies including scheduling games between the conferences. And, for football, you could have 12 PM, 3:30 PM, 7 PM and 10:30 PM time slots each week. Right now, it's more profitable to sell games to the linear networks like ESPN/FOX/CBS,..., and put secondary games on the conference networks, but will that be the case in 10 years?

I really don't think there will be a breakaway from a small number of schools as you don't enhance value by decreasing reach. And, the top schools needs teams they can beat and have good records. Look at the SEC. Last season, all of the SEC schools had records of 6-7 or better except Vanderbilt! That is why they only play 8 conference games. If the top 40 schools broke away and only played each other, you would have almost half of the schools with losing records and that wouldn't make their fans happy at all. Winning builds fan bases and losing erodes them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ultimately, we are moving to streaming, so think about this. What if the BTN bought the PAC12 Network and broadcast both Big 10 and Pac 12 games? Lot's of synergies including scheduling games between the conferences. And, for football, you could have 12 PM, 3:30 PM, 7 PM and 10:30 PM time slots each week. Right now, it's more profitable to sell games to the linear networks like ESPN/FOX/CBS,..., and put secondary games on the conference networks, but will that be the case in 10 years?
Ha- I DM'd a few dudes here about similar idea a few weeks ago.

Its a complicated situation, but basically yes why not have Fox and the BTN acquire/partner with both the P12 and the Big East to create coast to coast content under one bundle. Particularly in the future world of streaming, the content of the three conferences together as one package might help get each other into new markets.

Another reason I think this could make some sense is the simple fact that ESPN is already loaded up by owning 100% of the SEC content, 100% of the ACC and AAC content and a slew of G5 content. Bundling the other three and maybe adding the B12 could give Fox and its conference partners a critical mass and national football.

And I think you keep the branding of each channel, all I am saying is that all of this content would be sold together.

Reaction Score

Its a complicated situation, but basically yes why not have Fox and the BTN acquire/partner with both the P12 and the Big East to create coast to coast content under one bundle. Particularly in the future world of streaming, the content of the three conferences together as one package might help get each other into new markets.

Another reason I think this could make some sense is the simple fact that ESPN is already loaded up by owning 100% of the SEC content, 100% of the ACC and AAC content and a slew of G5 content. Bundling the other three and maybe adding the B12 could give Fox and its conference partners a critical mass and national football.

And I think you keep the branding of each channel, all I am saying is that all of this content would be sold together.

Would this move help or hurt us From a football perspective?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If the B1G and BTN, along with FOX, took an umbrella approach and had the P12 and BE under their umbrella, it would create a national TV audience. B1G and P12 for football with hopefully a UConn game or two mixed in, and then a full basketball reach. Very strong in Northeast, upper midwest and west coast, not as strong in south, southeast and Texas.

Then, Disney takes the ACC, SEC and Big12 and creates a parallel network, stronger in the southeast, Texas and Mid-Atlantic and weaker in Northeast east upper Midwest and west coast.

It would almost be like NFL with an AFC package and an NFC package.

Reaction Score
Value has to do with the TV demand for match ups....

Ohio State-USC, Penn State-USC will have more value than Northwestern-Indiana. Just as Bama vs A&M will have more value than Vanderbilt vs Arkansas.

The value to conferences is the media return for having more marquee matches to be televised. If UCONN is perceived to be a marqee match up...there is value. So far, the value of basketball match ups don't seem to impact...maybe because much of the value is in the NCAA tournament not seasonal conference games.

Reaction Score
Ryan Kartje@Ryan_Kartje
Multiple sources tell @latimes
that no other Pac-12 members are expected to be added to the Big Ten at this time.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, etc. will not be following USC and UCLA.

Ryan Kartje@Ryan_Kartje
USC beat writer for @latimes

Reaction Score
Michael Smith@SmittySBJ
·
10h
The ACC has always counted on the grant of media rights to prevent schools from defecting to Big Ten or SEC. It's not. Schools have been doing the math.

Michael Smith@SmittySBJ
Sports Business Journal

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Michael Smith@SmittySBJ
·
10h
The ACC has always counted on the grant of media rights to prevent schools from defecting to Big Ten or SEC. It's not. Schools have been doing the math.

Michael Smith@SmittySBJ
Sports Business Journal

A lot of people just waive their hands on the Grant of Rights. If it is so easy to get out of, why can't anyone explain how that happens?

Reaction Score
A lot of people just waive their hands on the Grant of Rights. If it is so easy to get out of, why can't anyone explain how that happens?

who was the last team to get out of a GOR? I have no idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom