Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 349 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lawmakers can do what they please. The Florida government has (at least for now) taken away the Disney deal, and I would bet that Disney brings in a lot more money to Florida than ESPN brings to CT. It would be interesting to know how many and which CT lawmakers receive generous donations from ESPN to keep UConn out of the P5. Is that public information to see to whom ESPN donates money to keep their gig going?
What they took away from Disney was the right to self governance. It’s different.

I agree with the point in principle. I just think it’s all tougher to do in practice. Now the next time ESPN comes to Hartford with its handout out, then there is an opportunity to make a statement.

Reaction Score
Great read. Thanks for posting.

I think it signals that Notre Dame will eventually join a conference. I think they do prior to the date that Swarbrick posted.

The SEC threw a wrench into the college plus one system by adding Oklahoma and Texas.

Now if you expand the playoffs to 8, it's just more SEC teams, so the point becomes moot if your goal is to give other cobferences, independents or non power conferences access to the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I think it signals that Notre Dame will eventually join a conference. I think they do prior to the date that Swarbrick posted.

The SEC threw a wrench into the college plus one system by adding Oklahoma and Texas.

Now if you expand the playoffs to 8, it's just more SEC teams, so the point becomes moot if your goal is to give other conferences, independents or non power conferences access to the playoffs.
Agreed, I believe he is just laying the ground work for major changes that are going to be out of our control.

Reaction Score

Now if you expand the playoffs to 8, it's just more SEC teams, so the point becomes moot if your goal is to give other cobferences, independents or non power conferences access to the playoffs.
That is based on the assumption that the break offs will continue with the conference approach. Why not create a league of X number of teams, like pros, and then just create divisions? What’s value of lifting and loading conferences into brave new world?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That is based on the assumption that the break offs will continue with the conference approach. Why not create a league of X number of teams, like pros, and then just create divisions? What’s value of lifting and loading conferences into brave new world?
Established branding.

Reaction Score

This is just my opinion, but I think there's tremendous historical value to conference affiliation, granted with realignment, that tradition has erroded a bit, but rivalries like the keg of nails or little brown jug still mean something.

I also think that these football games spill into other NCAA sports. It's hard for me to see college football minus conference affiliation. I see your point, and it makes a kot of sense because it's a business, but I hope conference affiliation remains a part of college football

Reaction Score
Established branding.
Agree. That branding matters a lot.

Also, professional leagues, like the NFL, are the business. The NFL grants franchises. Those franchises have limited autonomy. Each collegiate conference is made up of 8 to 16 independent businesses that choose to work/ally together. The structure is completely different.

Reaction Score
Can conferences mean as much with the super differences in talent coming with NIL?

Reaction Score
Can conferences mean as much with the super differences in talent coming with NIL?

I think that's exactly the right question and I would extend it even further to encompass much of what is currently top level college athletics.

If a respectable football program like BC which probably will not be able to run an NIL program to compete with say Notre Dame or Clemson, does it make sense for them to try to continue to compete at that level? If the talent gap is so large and continuous, what interest is there in the competition?

Reaction Score

This seems like big news to me. The university is a top ranked public and has a $4 billion endowment. It has all the resources and would join Bi1G Hockey.

"... as has been well documented, college athletics is now existing in an incredibly fluid, dynamic environment, including Alston awards, NIL, and student-athlete employment rights. We are investing heavily in new benefits for student-athletes, which increases the marginal cost associated with any new sport offerings. Such intense disruption has created ambiguity about the future, and we believe it unwise for Illinois Athletics to expand our sport model in such an uncertain environment."

Reaction Score
With NIL, nothing has really changed with the competitive environment except players are going to be paid which creates new problems for schools. Yes, there will be one offs like Pitt's star WR potentially transferring to USC or Alabama, but there hasn't been widespread movement of top players from one school to another. Also, a school like BC has never competed for recruits with Alabama, Florida, USC, Texas, LSU,..., so that hasn't changed. Plus, in the last 20 years, 10 schools have finished the year ranked #1 and all of them will be high NIL programs in the current environment: Alabama. Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida St., Georgia, LSU, Ohio St., Texas, USC. And, there are plenty of football players to go around. For example, only 1 QB can start on a team, so top rated QBs will be always be available like they always have been, although the portal has made transferring easier. In the last 7 NFL drafts these 3 schools have had the most QBs drafted with 3: North Dakota St., Oklahoma, Western Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Take a look at USC....

They took Caleb William's, Oklahoma's starting QB, they took Addison, Pitt's Bilitnikoff awarded WR, they took Travis Dye who rushed for 1271 yards at Oregon...playmakers...and they loaded up on defenders.

Reaction Score
Take a look at USC....

They took Caleb William's, Oklahoma's starting QB, they took Addison, Pitt's Bilitnikoff awarded WR, they took Travis Dye who rushed for 1271 yards at Oregon...playmakers...and they loaded up on defenders.
Not really good examples. Williams followed his head coach and offensive guru, Lincoln Riley, to USC. Dye’s head coach bolted to Miami and it is not a done deal that Addison goes to USC. And, USC lost 2 top QBs to the portal due to the coaching change.

Reaction Score
I sense that some folks are hoping that NIL and the change in transfer rules will not have a dramatic impact on college athletics as we know it (or knew it). I just don't see how that can be the case. NIL will provide certain programs with the tool it needs to use money as the lever to attract the best talent either through recruiting or the transfer portal. It will be as simple as that. Free agency......

.......and I know that is not the intent of NIL, but it has opened the door for programs to funnel money to recruits and transfers in a way that has heretofore not existed.

Reaction Score
I sense that some folks are hoping that NIL and the change in transfer rules will not have a dramatic impact on college athletics as we know it (or knew it). I just don't see how that can be the case. NIL will provide certain programs with the tool it needs to use money as the lever to attract the best talent either through recruiting or the transfer portal. It will be as simple as that. Free agency......

.......and I know that is not the intent of NIL, but it has opened the door for programs to funnel money to recruits and transfers in a way that has heretofore not existed.

Reaction Score

The top programs are already attracting the best talent. For example, the top BC football recruit in 2022 would have been the 3rd worst recruit at Alabama. The top Syracuse football recruit would be the lowest rated recruit at Alabama. How does NIL change that?

And, look at the portal. There isn't enough playing time at the top schools that are loaded with talent so the top P5 teams are the ones SUPPLYING the talent, not taking it. Look at these numbers:

Alabama has taken 5 transfers and lost 20 transfers.
Clemson has taken 1 transfer and lost 11 transfers.
Georgia has taken 0 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Texas A&M has taken 2 transfers and lost 11 transfers.
Ohio St. has taken 3 transfers and lost 19 transfers.
Michigan has taken 2 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Texas has taken 5 transfers and lost 20 transfers.
Baylor has taken 2 transfers and lost 6 transfers.
Oklahoma State has taken 3 transfers and lost 16 transfers.
Florida State has taken 6 transfers and lost 19 transfers.
Maryland has taken 3 transfers and lost 22 transfers.
Penn State has taken 3 transfers and lost 14 transfers.
Notre Dame has taken 3 transfers and lost 13 transfers.

The above 12 have taken in 38 transfers and lost 195 transfers.

Where we have seen top P5 schools taking in transfers is at schools that have had a coaching change:

Florida has taken 6 transfers and lost 10 transfers.
LSU has taken 15 transfers and lost 10 transfers.
Oklahoma has taken 10 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
USC has taken 13 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Oregon has taken in 7 transfers and lost 15 transfers.
Miami has taken 11 transfers and lost 14 transfers.

Reaction Score
The top programs are already attracting the best talent. For example, the top BC football recruit in 2022 would have been the 3rd worst recruit at Alabama. The top Syracuse football recruit would be the lowest rated recruit at Alabama. How does NIL change that?

And, look at the portal. There isn't enough playing time at the top schools that are loaded with talent so the top P5 teams are the ones SUPPLYING the talent, not taking it. Look at these numbers:

Alabama has taken 5 transfers and lost 20 transfers.
Clemson has taken 1 transfer and lost 11 transfers.
Georgia has taken 0 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Texas A&M has taken 2 transfers and lost 11 transfers.
Ohio St. has taken 3 transfers and lost 19 transfers.
Michigan has taken 2 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Texas has taken 5 transfers and lost 20 transfers.
Baylor has taken 2 transfers and lost 6 transfers.
Oklahoma State has taken 3 transfers and lost 16 transfers.
Florida State has taken 6 transfers and lost 19 transfers.
Maryland has taken 3 transfers and lost 22 transfers.
Penn State has taken 3 transfers and lost 14 transfers.
Notre Dame has taken 3 transfers and lost 13 transfers.

The above 12 have taken in 38 transfers and lost 195 transfers.

Where we have seen top P5 schools taking in transfers is at schools that have had a coaching change:

Florida has taken 6 transfers and lost 10 transfers.
LSU has taken 15 transfers and lost 10 transfers.
Oklahoma has taken 10 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
USC has taken 13 transfers and lost 12 transfers.
Oregon has taken in 7 transfers and lost 15 transfers.
Miami has taken 11 transfers and lost 14 transfers.

Yes, after recruits at the top programs find out they won’t see the field they will transfer leaving the BETTER players at those top programs.

……and, players at lower level programs who prove to be capable of competing at the top programs will go into the portal with no requirement to sit. They’ll wait for the best deal (probably the most money).

That concentrates the best talent at the top programs.

Reaction Score
Yes, after recruits at the top programs find out they won’t see the field they will transfer leaving the BETTER players at those top programs.

……and, players at lower level programs who prove to be capable of competing at the top programs will go into the portal with no requirement to sit. They’ll wait for the best deal (probably the most money).

That concentrates the best talent at the top programs.
There are tons of examples of transfers who left top programs and went on to star at other programs. This past year, Cincy’s top RB, Jerome Ford, was a transfer from Alabama and drafted in the 5th round. And, what about Justin Fields (Georgia to Ohio St.) 1st round pick, Jalen Hurts (Alabama to Oklahoma) 2nd round pick, Wandale Robinson (Nebraska to Kentucky) 2nd round pick, Malik Willis (Auburn to Liberty) 3rd round, Joe Flacco ( Pitt to Delaware) 1st round, Josh McCown (SMU to Sam Houston St.) 3rd round.

As for teams, #4 Cincy had 7 P5 transfers on the roster this year, #16 Louisiana had 9 P5 transfers, #17 Houston had 14 P5 transfers, #24 Utah St. had 10 P5 transfers, #25 San Diego St. had 5 P5 transfers. SMU had 18 P5 transfers. The transfer portal has become a huge opportunity for schools to upgrade their talent. UConn under Edsall was just slow to adjust to the changing landscape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom