Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 347 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The last (2018) tournament at Barclay's...

"With most of the tickets pre-sold at the various campuses, attendance at the games has lived up to expectations. A crowd of 18,157 witnessed the Tar Heels 74-69 victory over Duke on Friday night. It was the largest crowd ever to witness a college basketball game at Barclays Center."
Per the Charlotte Observer on the current tournament:

The seats online for the Big East Thursday night games start at $150 and go up from there. You can get seats at Barclays for $17.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about soccer.
I generally don't watch. But it's the fourth most watched sport in this country and viewership is growing.

Also women's soccer was a different beast when the NCAA started hosting tournaments in 1982. Few schools played back then and UNC dominated. (Fun fact: UConn finished third in that first NCAA tournament.) The Heels are still an elite program, but they have a lot more competition.

Reaction Score
The last (2018) tournament at Barclay's...

"With most of the tickets pre-sold at the various campuses, attendance at the games has lived up to expectations. A crowd of 18,157 witnessed the Tar Heels 74-69 victory over Duke on Friday night. It was the largest crowd ever to witness a college basketball game at Barclays Center."
Hogwash, or truth?

Reaction Score
Per the Charlotte Observer on the current tournament:

The seats online for the Big East Thursday night games start at $150 and go up from there. You can get seats at Barclays for $17.
The whole story from the Observer...

"According to a release from ticket broker TickPick, the get-in-the-door price for Wednesday’s first session (Syracuse-Florida State and Wake Forest-Boston College) had an average price of $45 and the late session (Virginia Tech-Clemson and Virginia-Louisville) was $58. The cheapest ticket for the afternoon was $3 and the evening $4.

The cheap prices won’t last. Thursday’s quarterfinals were selling for an average of about $84 per session. The get-in price for Friday night’s semis is $110 with an average ticket of $177 -- and the title-game average Saturday was $204 as of Tuesday.

All-session passes for the ACC were reselling for the most of any Power 5 conference: $904 compared to $889 for the Big East across the East River at Madison Square Garden, $772 for the Big 12, $677 for the SEC and $663 for the Big Ten."

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article259209343.html#storylink=cpy

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article259209343.html#storylink=cpy

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All-session passes for the ACC were reselling for the most of any Power 5 conference: $904 compared to $889 for the Big East
Five days and 14 games vs four days and 10 games. So you get an extra day and four extra games with the ACC for just $5.

Reaction Score
The whole story from the Observer...

"According to a release from ticket broker TickPick, the get-in-the-door price for Wednesday’s first session (Syracuse-Florida State and Wake Forest-Boston College) had an average price of $45 and the late session (Virginia Tech-Clemson and Virginia-Louisville) was $58. The cheapest ticket for the afternoon was $3 and the evening $4.

The cheap prices won’t last. Thursday’s quarterfinals were selling for an average of about $84 per session. The get-in price for Friday night’s semis is $110 with an average ticket of $177 -- and the title-game average Saturday was $204 as of Tuesday.

All-session passes for the ACC were reselling for the most of any Power 5 conference: $904 compared to $889 for the Big East across the East River at Madison Square Garden, $772 for the Big 12, $677 for the SEC and $663 for the Big Ten."

Wouldn't the all session passes for the ACC be more than the BE because the ACC played more games?!

Reaction Score
The ACC Tourney did fine in NYC...that was the bottom line.

I would like Atllanta (only held there once 10 years ago)...but understand the tradition of Greensboro.

Reaction Score

I would like Atllanta (only held there once 10 years ago)...but understand the tradition of Greensboro.
What year did they do fine in, because I don't think it was this year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Right. I'm sure "fine" is what they were going for. There is no reason for the ACC tournament to be in New York City. There are no greater NYC area teams and the tournament that NYC is concerned with is clearly the Big East.

If not Greensboro, then the ACC would do better in Charlotte or Florida.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think that we celebrate our own...

If Paige gets a million..great!

If a QB at Bama gets a million...well, that's what's wrong with the system.

Now, saying that, I am not a women's basketball watcher...maybe it is a matter of what is important to you. I have always found it interesting that there are double the posts on the Yard about women's basketball than football. A different perspective.

Nope, it's really easy right now.

UConn kids (especially the women) getting NILs now weren't recruited using them.

The kids getting it now are.

I'm sure the NIL talk for UConn recruits will make many stomachs turn here.

Reaction Score
Right. I'm sure "fine" is what they were going for. There is no reason for the ACC tournament to be in New York City. There are no greater NYC area teams and the tournament that NYC is concerned with is clearly the Big East.

They should put the ACC friendlies in the Hampton Coliseum so when the teams all suck like this year, folks can go to Virginia Beach.
Otherwise Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh, and an occasional L-ville.

Reaction Score
IMO the ACC tournament should rarely (if ever again) be held in Florida. College basketball is way, way down the list of things Floridians will ever care about.

The tournament really belongs in North Carolina - Greensboro and Charlotte. Atlanta and DC should also host once in a while.

Husky25

Reaction Score
IMO the ACC tournament should rarely (if ever again) be held in Florida. College basketball is way, way down the list of things Floridians will ever care about.

The tournament really belongs in North Carolina - Greensboro and Charlotte. Atlanta and DC should also host once in a while.
I was merely suggesting areas of concentration. Florida is home to Miami and FSU. To that end, Hampton Coliseum makes sense as well (UVA and VT), but Carolina seems most appropriate.

Reaction Score
The ACC does move the tourney around a little...NYC for three, DC for three....but I agree that culturally, the ACC may be a misfit in New York.

The Big East has always proclaimed that they have the greatest show on earth at the MSG.....The ghost of the Big East tournament always is near when the ACC is in NYC.

We all , if you are my age, have memories of some of those BE games...Ewing against Ralph Sampson, against Hakeem Olajuwon...Ewing against Michael Jordan and James Worthy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I generally don't watch. But it's the fourth most watched sport in this country and viewership is growing.

Also women's soccer was a different beast when the NCAA started hosting tournaments in 1982. Few schools played back then and UNC dominated. (Fun fact: UConn finished third in that first NCAA tournament.) The Heels are still an elite program, but they have a lot more competition.
That would be finished third in the first NCAA woman’s soccer tournament. The first NCAA women’s championship in any sport was for field hockey. It was held in Storrs and Connecticut won and became the first woman’s NCAA national champion. At least three of us on the board were there. It was either our second or third national championship, if I recall correctly. It was in 1981 which I think is the same year we won the men’s soccer national championship.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
The ACC does move the tourney around a little...NYC for three, DC for three....but I agree that culturally, the ACC may be a misfit in New York.

The Big East has always proclaimed that they have the greatest show on earth at the MSG.....The ghost of the Big East tournament always is near when the ACC is in NYC.

We all , if you are my age, have memories of some of those BE games...Ewing against Ralph Sampson, against Hakeem Olajuwon...Ewing against Michael Jordan and James Worthy.

I'm calling a bit of a...

...on that one.

I may not be old enough, but I remember none of Houston (SWC), Virginia, or North Carolina (ACC) ever being in the Big East.

Nor do I recall a DC area player (by way of Boston) matching up versus any of those guys in New York City prior to their NBA days, when no one was really concerned to what colleges these guys attended. Ewing was a Knick. Sampson and Olajuwon were Rockets and not exactly rivals of New York during Sampson's tenure. Jordan was a Bull. Worthy was a Laker.

Reaction Score
I was merely suggesting areas of concentration. Florida is home to Miami and FSU. To that end, Hampton Coliseum makes sense as well (UVA and VT), but Carolina seems most appropriate.
Yeah. I was born and raised on the Space Coast and am a Florida State alum. Holding the ACC tournament in Florida seems to make sense on paper. FSU has alumni and fan support throughout the state. Miami has much support (when they are winning football games) in South Florida. But both fanbases are very football focused.

Meanwhile, the average Floridian - so far as there is such a thing - would rather spend their free time at the beach or on the water (or doing something to demonstrate their Florida man absurdness).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah. I was born and raised on the Space Coast and am a Florida State alum. Holding the ACC tournament in Florida seems to make sense on paper. FSU has alumni and fan support throughout the state. Miami has much support (when they are winning football games) in South Florida. But both fanbases are very football focused.

Meanwhile, the average Floridian - so far as there is such a thing - would rather spend their free time at the beach or on the water (or doing something to demonstrate their Florida man absurdness).
I'll buy that.

The ACC in New York City makes no sense other than a money grab and to say they "did fine" is to say that the member institutions could do just as well or better on a net basis in a more central location to its main concentration of schools.

The Big East Tournament has 40 year old roots in New York City. There were two teams inside their demographic media market, two nationally prominent programs as the league was growing into it's own, and various other programs emerged as the conference established itself. All programs were a relatively short bus ride from the venue, when plane travel was rare.

College basketball fans east of Worcester don't really follow BC when they are playing well, to say nothing of when they suck. West of Worcester, college fans follow UMass, UConn, or the New England upstart at the moment.

Reaction Score
I'm calling a bit of a...

...on that one.

I may not be old enough, but I remember none of Houston (SWC), Virginia, or North Carolina (ACC) ever being in the Big East.

Nor do I recall a DC area player (by way of Boston) matching up versus any of those guys in New York City prior to their NBA days, when no one was really concerned to what colleges these guys attended. Ewing was a Knick. Sampson and Olajuwon were Rockets and not exactly rivals of New York during Sampson's tenure. Jordan was a Bull. Worthy was a Laker.

But...the Big East, when Georgetown had Ewing, was the Big East of my memory...And you don't remember those great games, and that is OK....but I do.

...heck, Ewing was called for five or six goal tends in one of them...King Kong.

Reaction Score
Watching thode guys play, before I became immersed in dadhood, is one of my sports memories...

Husky25

Reaction Score
But...the Big East, when Georgetown had Ewing, was the Big East of my memory...And you don't remember those great games, and that is OK....but I do.

...heck, Ewing was called for five or six goal tends in one of them...King Kong.

We all...have memories of some of those BE games...Ewing against Ralph Sampson, against Hakeem Olajuwon...Ewing against Michael Jordan and James Worthy.
Call it picking nits, but those other teams were not in the Big East, ergo not a Big East Game.

GTown played UNC and UH in the NCAA Championship game and they were good (from what I remember and from what I've seen on YouTube/highlight shows), but they were not BE games.

Reaction Score
Soooo ? They were Big East teams in almost legendary Tournament games....

My memories...if not yours, that's OK too,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom