Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman stepping down from coaching, but will remain at UConn

Reaction Score
My question is if this has been planned or if hurley didn’t know it was coming? Is he starting from scratch to hire someone new or has this been in the works and an announcement will come fairly soon on a new coach.

You don’t move from one job to another at the same place without planning and having everyone in the know.

The Hunter move was unexpected but inevitable once they knew it was Indiana... and I still think it’s funny he went to join his friend and then the place jettisoned his friend and he was like, “that‘s fine, sucks for him but I’m gonna do me!”

Reaction Score
You don’t move from one job to another at the same place without planning and having everyone in the know.

The Hunter move was unexpected but inevitable once they knew it was Indiana... and I still think it’s funny he went to join his friend and then the place jettisoned his friend and he was like, “that‘s fine, sucks for him but I’m gonna do me!”
Well that’s good that the program had time to prepare and plan accordingly. Now we have something to speculate about besides transfers!

Reaction Score
I would assume so, but it must be tough having to replace an assistant you thought was gonna be here for the next 20 years.
At the same time, Freeman might not have been hired if Hunter didn’t leave so unexpectedly. I’m sure Hurley will adjust fine.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I’ve talked myself into being all in on the Leitao/Bynum package deal. Bynum has the entire bag. Would be that missing scoring piece on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I’ve talked myself into being all in on the Leitao/Bynum package deal. Bynum has the entire bag. Would be that missing scoring piece on the perimeter.

Unfortunately as soon as someone signs a letter of intent in the Big East they aren’t allowed to transfer to other Big East schools. So no recruits would follow him. Not that there was any to. Archaic rule tbh.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I would guess this isn’t some huge surprise to DH and probably discussed during the season. Remember brought KFree as the best option under a crunched timeframe when Hunter jumped ship in a non traditional off season. Now he has the ability to run a more traditional process to get the new piece for the staff.

Reaction Score
why is everyone going with this "something's up" narrative?

we already know he wasn't the best coach in the world. we had a sudden departure and it was very easy to get him in quickly. makes total sense to say "we don't think you meet the standards of what we're looking for as an assistant, but we really want you involved in the AD."
"we already know he wasn't the best coach in the world"
Help us out. From where did this evaluation of KF's coaching emanate?

Reaction Score
why is everyone going with this "something's up" narrative?

we already know he wasn't the best coach in the world. we had a sudden departure and it was very easy to get him in quickly. makes total sense to say "we don't think you meet the standards of what we're looking for as an assistant, but we really want you involved in the AD."
That's a total classless thing to say.

Reaction Score
Can non-coaches contact potential recruits?

Hell, I would leave too if I had to watch film of all 1000+ players in the transfer portal to find out who we should be targeting! ? Or read the BY as an easy way out.

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
"we already know he wasn't the best coach in the world"
Help us out. From where did this evaluation of KF's coaching emanate?

That's a total classless thing to say.
You guys are right, it was a crummy thing to say and didn’t come out how I meant.

When he came back, the general sentiment of the board was the we could have done better. I wasn’t trying to evaluate his skills as a coach. I regret saying it how I did.

We are lucky to have K Free a part of our system, I’m glad he’s sticking around.

Reaction Score
He brought excellent talent to DePaul. Big strong guys. Just can’t coach em. Great assistant tho. Probably Hurleys first call I’d assume. But depending on buyout terms idk he would be paid like a 3rd of his former salary.
Maybe DH would give a dime back to help pay him!

Reaction Score

Hiring coaches for the short term gain of a recruit doesn't work long term
Luv Dave but Luke seems like the long term answer. Worked w DH @ URI
From NY only 36 and perceived superstar

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately as soon as someone signs a letter of intent in the Big East they aren’t allowed to transfer to other Big East schools. So no recruits would follow him. Not that there was any to. Archaic rule tbh.
they issue waivers for everything now. Anything you want waived is waived especially for a kid who committed to a coach 2 years ago and that coach was fired they would let him move.

Reaction Score
they issue waivers for everything now. Anything you want waived is waived especially for a kid who committed to a coach 2 years ago and that coach was fired they would let him move.
Except the Big East doesn't, you can't even apply for a waiver. It's not allowed with no exceptions

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom